Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fear the Walking Dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[Syl]
Embattred

2999 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Fear the Walking Dead Reply with quote

Overall, I wasn't blown away by the pilot. Considering the nature of the spin-off, I expected more setup than punch, but still. Not that it was bad, but they could've done more. The extra time was wasted by an apparent unwillingness to edit. And sure it's still early, but we didn't learn anything about the start of it.

And really, what we did learn stretches the limits of believability. Other than a veiled reference to the "authorities" trying to keep people in the dark, are we really to believe that every morgue wouldn't be yelling WTF to the world. Or is one line drug dealer and a couple junkies just the first to have the latent infection?

I'm sure it Will hey going, but...
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Wosbald
Bloodguard

Male

2950 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

I thought it was quite promising.

[Syl]
Embattred

2999 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How so? Not that I disagree, but I imagine my reasons might be different than yours.

For me, I think it's promising because the characters are pretty much blank slates, about one step up from stock characters (and focusing on that for about an hour straight is mostly what made the episode somewhat boring). There's a lot of room to see how they respond and adapt to the crumbling society, especially as a family. Sure, there was some of that with Carl and Lori, but it took entire seasons to see that dynamic—which had some serious flaws in it from the get go—take any serious hits. Throw in some parental guilt when dude's other family is wiped out (only for the son to make an appearance next season, I assume), and it starts becoming more interesting than just seeing zombies eating some faces of people who, even if we knew them, aren't really that important to us.

But then, the problem I have with that is the junkie kid. Damn but I hate that cliche. Good kid led astray by drugs (bonus message: don't let your kids hang out with black kids. At best, they'll skip class to make out. At worst, they'll get hooked on smack and killed if you find out). I've met quite a few junkies in my day (only one on heroin, and I had no idea until I'd found out he'd moved to go to rehab), and none of them came from solid, middle-class families. Maybe real dad was abusive? I don't think we needed to see him wake up in a church to guess he'll find redemption along the way, but it'd be nice to just once see drug abuse as the symptom rather than the cause of a defective personality.

On the plus side, the use of setting and background noise to continuously ratchet up the tension was great. Not sure we needed both fake-outs, but hey.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Zarathustra
Be True

13959 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was interesting, showed promise. I get the criticism about the stock characters. Even the acting was a little subpar. I guess the main thing it has going for it is the looming sense of doom. The scene on the exit ramp, shown from multiple perspectives, was pretty cool. I like only hearing it in the first instance, and then zooming in on it in repeated views. That frustration of not being able to see, not sure if you want to see, and then seeing your worst fears. Very much like driving up on a recent wreck.

The drug addict thing has been done to death, but I think it makes a decent starting point for such a crazy concept. Doubting one's sanity, trying to make others believe, etc. And drug users might very well be the first ones to start spreading such a "disease."

After the 3rd time seeing the interior of that church, I thought that there was a serious problem with the editing. Ditto for the sister who is mopey about her brother in every freakin scene we saw her.

I did not get the racial connotations at all. Such a criticism reminds me of the recent black "journalist" murderer who complained (for instance) that his colleagues at the TV station were making a racist comment when they spoke of, "going out in the field" to do some reporting. His response: "You mean the cotton fields?" Black people do sell drugs. White people do take them. Black people go to college. The girl was skipping class already. Joy is in the ears that hear ...
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Wosbald
Bloodguard

Male

2950 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+
[Syl] wrote:
How so? Not that I disagree, but I imagine my reasons might be different than yours.

I wasn't bored enough to notice problems on the first run-through. Though finding quibbles on subsequent viewings may be normal, if I'm finding them on the first watch, then I know the show ain't makin' it for me.

[Syl]
Embattred

2999 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was joking about the racial bit, Z, for pretty much the reasons you mentioned.

Pilots can be hit or miss for me. For instance, I recently binge watched Maron. The first episode really didn't do anything for me. Not even a chuckle.
-George Steiner
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8535 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, I missed this. I hope I can catch a rerun of the opener. Sad
Zarathustra
Be True

13959 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Syl] wrote:
I was joking about the racial bit, Z, for pretty much the reasons you mentioned.
There I go taking things too seriously again. Sorry. Embarassed
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16187 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick with it, but it didn't do much for me at all.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Female

5813 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing about this show so far are the airplane commercials. More tension in those commercials than the whole show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: