Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elapsed Time in the Last Chronicles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> The Last Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Tim
Servant of the Land

96 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Elapsed Time in the Last Chronicles Reply with quote

Just finished the Last Chronicles last night; I've been checking this site since I found it last October, when I began reading the LC.

I hope someone is still active here; it seems it's been a while.

My question is this: How long is Linden in the land during the Last Chronicles. I started keeping track of this throughout the first two books, but then stopped. If I remember correctly (and I may not; I left my books at home) it seems that:

Runes covers about a week
FR covers maybe 3 weeks (including the 2 weeks Linden is "back in time")
AATE covers about a week???
TLD covers maybe 6 days? (isn't there a reference to the sun not rising on the fifth day?)

If my memory is correct, this means the Last Chronicles covers about six weeks.

Not sure that this is the most important question ever posted here, but I have been curious.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

44530 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't added up all of the on-the-next-days in the text. But I am certain it is a brief amount of time. I feel it's about 3 weeks, but I am not surprised if it comes out to 4. (Discounting the 2 weeks in the past, during which almost no time passes in the present.)

I'm glad to see someone work it out.

And welcome to the Watch! I encourage you to post something in The Summonsing forum to introduce yourself. This draws everyone out of the woodwork for a warm welcome.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda for which this forum has become a platform.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Male

7550 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

wayfriend wrote:
And welcome to the Watch! I encourage you to post something in The Summonsing forum to introduce yourself. This draws everyone out of the woodwork for a warm welcome.

Sho'nuff.

Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

6021 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
I haven't added up all of the on-the-next-days in the text. But I am certain it is a brief amount of time. I feel it's about 3 weeks, but I am not surprised if it comes out to 4. (Discounting the 2 weeks in the past, during which almost no time passes in the present.)

Actually, thirteen days pass for Linden's friends waiting for her in Revelstone while she's in the past.

In Part II chapter 3 of Fatal Revenant , was wrote:
"Manethrall," Stave countered, "if you will heed my counsel we will not consider the Mahdoubt until other concerns have been addressed. I do not desire concealment, either from you or from the Chosen. But I deem that the Mahdoubt's strangeness is less than urgent. The ur-Lord's fate, and our own straits, hold greater import."

"As you will." Linden felt Mahrtiir's nod. The mistrust which he had once displayed toward Stave was entirely gone. "I am content to speak of her when you find it condign to do so."'

Promptly Stave continued, "Then I will say to you Linden Avery, Chosen, that you have been absent from Revelstone for half a moon--"

"Thirteen days, Linden," put in Liand.

"--and have slept for two days more," the Haruchai went on. "In that time, we have feared for your life. And now that you have returned, we fear for the life of Land. Your words give us reason to conceive that the Unbeliever has failed."

wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

44530 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, did I misremember that. Thanks, Cord!
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda for which this forum has become a platform.
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

6021 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to develop a timeline for the Last Chronicles and post it on the Watch. But I fear it would take HOURS to put together!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> The Last Dark All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: