Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarathustra
Be True

13959 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Homeland Reply with quote

Now that you can add on Showtime to Hulu for a small price, we've been checking out some of their shows. Homeland is a different kind of spy drama. Much less testosterone-driven than shows like 24. Sure, the main character is a woman, but that doesn't account for the difference. The show moves at a much slower pace, relying more on character and story than plot twists and action. This is true drama, not just melodrama. It takes a while, but it's worth it. It has "real" emotion and "real" people in extraordinary circumstances. Worth checking out.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14447 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed some of the first season, little of the second, not watching the third.
whilom witling

Male

41399 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season 3 is probably the low point. Season 4 is much better; season 5 was pretty great.
Zarathustra
Be True

13959 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're only halfway through season 2. The interrogation scene with Brody and Carrie was phenomenal--a BIG confrontation between protagonist/antagonist that resolves 1.5 seasons worth of tension in a single conversation, moving their relationship forward in a way that was entirely believable while achieving something I would have thought could only be done with pure cheese.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Zarathustra
Be True

13959 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end of season 2 was amazing. Season 3 started off slow, but ended with a gut-wrenching climax to Brody's character arc. I don't think I've seen a "villain" handled with so much attention and care since reading Angus's story in the Gap: redemption of someone who was without a doubt evil (or had succumbed to evil given sufficient trauma), but still retained his humanity in the end. I'm stunned how long they maintained the question of Brody's authenticity and moral intentions through so many different contexts, well beyond the point when you'd think it would have been settled--i.e. once the good guys knew for sure that he was a terrorist--into several more permutations of situation and implications.

Amazing. This was some great story-telling. If season 4 and 5 get better, I'm pretty excited.

Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16187 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cheered when Brody died. That storyline had played itself out. I'm with WF, seasons 4 & 5 are much better than the first 3.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: