Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Stand
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Stephen King Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menolly
Gravin Threndor, how I love thee.

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
145501 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to try giving the original, shorter version I try later, Z. Just to see if it reads better for you.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

12732 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always hated King's tendency to foreshadow.

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

8890 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked his "foreshadowing" the first few times I encountered it. I thought it was a ballsy and original thing to do, just flat out tell the readers who was going to die, etc. But it's not really foreshadowing, is it? It's more like a spoiler. I do like how it shifts the tension from "what's going to happen?" to "how's it going to happen?" Used wisely it can increase the tension. But used over and over, it starts to seem like King just doesn't know how to write a true, subtle foreshadow.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the hell out of this book. I just can't help studying it--what works and what doesn't--as I read.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche

12732 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, more like a spoiler than a hint, agreed. And I've always liked his willingness to kill off his characters. But I don't like knowing that he's going to do it.

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

8890 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the end saved it. With about 50 pages to go, I was ready to call this book mediocre. It had been a decent ride, but the end of the Walking Dude seemed pointless to me. The good guys didn't need to die. They did absolutely nothing to make the atomic bomb go off. But then Stu (after journeying home to Boulder) said they were the sacrifice which God demanded. So they weren't supposed to do anything. Okay. I don't like it, but at least that was intentional.

But the journey back to civilization to see the baby--and all that represents in terms of the future--was a refreshing, welcome addition to all the darkness. I like how it went big at the end, summing up the importance of everything that had gone before in terms of society, violence, good, evil, etc.

I think that King is absolutely wrong in his judgment of men. But he told a fairly good story with that judgment. The idea that civilization is the root of all evil is laughably, demonstrably false. It's the flip-side of the Noble Savage myth. Disappointing that an author of this stature is promulgating such outdated, easily disproven myths. But it has made him rich, so who am I to judge? Good thing he had civilization to print, market, and sell his books! Laughing
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Shuram Gudatetris
Luxurator of In-Flux Crust Eruptions

Male

2161 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lego1 Translation1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really liked every Stephen King book I have read, and loved most of them. I've read somewhere around a dozen or so--counting DT and GM as one each. But until last year, I'd never read The Stand.

I saw a copy of The Stand at the thrift store; I grab every King book I haven't read when I see one at the thrift store (in fact, I'm working on Under the Dome right now, recently acquired). I read the preface, and became super excited: apparently this book is most people's favorite Stephen King book!

I thought I was in for a treat.

Boy, was I wrong.

Not only is this my least favorite Stephen King book, it is one of my least favorite books that I actually finished. I found it boring, and the ending was unsatisfying. If I wasn't unemployed, I doubt I would've committed the time to read it.

I read the extended version.

No offense intended to the people who like this thing. I wish I could have had a good experience with it. Maybe if hadn't known it to be most people's favorite, I wouldn't have had my hopes so high. But, man, was it boring.

I liked Nick Andros.

I maxed-out Tetris!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map

12732 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL No offence taken. I like the huge, sweeping, post-apocalyptic scope of it.

--A

Akasri
Haruchai

1605 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about the extended version. The original released version, I like for the most part - I'm just not 100% behind the ending, but it's a great story.

The extended version (like most "extended version" movies) contains stuff that was cut for a reason.

12732 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I preferred the extended one myself.

--A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Stephen King Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: