Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Stand
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Stephen King Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menolly
Gravin Threndor, how I love thee.

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
145588 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to try giving the original, shorter version I try later, Z. Just to see if it reads better for you.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

14317 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always hated King's tendency to foreshadow.

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

11189 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked his "foreshadowing" the first few times I encountered it. I thought it was a ballsy and original thing to do, just flat out tell the readers who was going to die, etc. But it's not really foreshadowing, is it? It's more like a spoiler. I do like how it shifts the tension from "what's going to happen?" to "how's it going to happen?" Used wisely it can increase the tension. But used over and over, it starts to seem like King just doesn't know how to write a true, subtle foreshadow.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the hell out of this book. I just can't help studying it--what works and what doesn't--as I read.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche

14317 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, more like a spoiler than a hint, agreed. And I've always liked his willingness to kill off his characters. But I don't like knowing that he's going to do it.

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

11189 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the end saved it. With about 50 pages to go, I was ready to call this book mediocre. It had been a decent ride, but the end of the Walking Dude seemed pointless to me. The good guys didn't need to die. They did absolutely nothing to make the atomic bomb go off. But then Stu (after journeying home to Boulder) said they were the sacrifice which God demanded. So they weren't supposed to do anything. Okay. I don't like it, but at least that was intentional.

But the journey back to civilization to see the baby--and all that represents in terms of the future--was a refreshing, welcome addition to all the darkness. I like how it went big at the end, summing up the importance of everything that had gone before in terms of society, violence, good, evil, etc.

I think that King is absolutely wrong in his judgment of men. But he told a fairly good story with that judgment. The idea that civilization is the root of all evil is laughably, demonstrably false. It's the flip-side of the Noble Savage myth. Disappointing that an author of this stature is promulgating such outdated, easily disproven myths. But it has made him rich, so who am I to judge? Good thing he had civilization to print, market, and sell his books! Laughing
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Shuram Gudatetris
Luxurator of In-Flux Crust Eruptions

Male

2589 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lego1 Translation1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really liked every Stephen King book I have read, and loved most of them. I've read somewhere around a dozen or so--counting DT and GM as one each. But until last year, I'd never read The Stand.

I saw a copy of The Stand at the thrift store; I grab every King book I haven't read when I see one at the thrift store (in fact, I'm working on Under the Dome right now, recently acquired). I read the preface, and became super excited: apparently this book is most people's favorite Stephen King book!

I thought I was in for a treat.

Boy, was I wrong.

Not only is this my least favorite Stephen King book, it is one of my least favorite books that I actually finished. I found it boring, and the ending was unsatisfying. If I wasn't unemployed, I doubt I would've committed the time to read it.

I read the extended version.

No offense intended to the people who like this thing. I wish I could have had a good experience with it. Maybe if hadn't known it to be most people's favorite, I wouldn't have had my hopes so high. But, man, was it boring.

I liked Nick Andros.

I maxed-out Tetris!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map

14317 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL No offence taken. I like the huge, sweeping, post-apocalyptic scope of it.

--A

Akasri
Haruchai

1643 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about the extended version. The original released version, I like for the most part - I'm just not 100% behind the ending, but it's a great story.

The extended version (like most "extended version" movies) contains stuff that was cut for a reason.

14317 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I preferred the extended one myself.

--A

lucimay
Mott Irregular, Bridgeburner, Pirate

Ranyhyn

14594 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--A

me too.

i've had this with actors before, on the set, where they get upset about the [size of my] trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer, cause... i'm from kentucky and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

40785 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucimay wrote:

me too.

"That's what she said" ?
lucimay
Mott Irregular, Bridgeburner, Pirate

Ranyhyn

14594 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
lucimay wrote:

me too.

"That's what she said" ?

Laughing

i've had this with actors before, on the set, where they get upset about the [size of my] trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer, cause... i'm from kentucky and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

23974 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Stand underneath a step on the ship I was serving on back in '78, back when no one had heard of Steven King. Read it and thought the book was great.

Read the extended version years later; not as good. Extra material not all that interesting, and he also updated material to reflect events that happened later.

Original edit was much better IMOHO.

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

15952 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my goal to re-read both versions after I'm done with school and I have some free time. I read the original in '79 or '80, and the expanded version the day it came out. I've done at least 2 re-reads since (the last being at least 10 years ago), but only of the expanded version. I like the additions, if only to spend more time in that world. But I've become much more critical since then.

King is a much better short story-teller than he is a novelist, but every once in a while he hits a homer with his novels (It, Wizard & Glass, Carrie, Christine, and a few others). I feel like The Stand was something he really felt, rather than one of his stories that he phoned in (pretty much anything from the cocaine days, and a lot of his post-accident novels). I stick with him, because every once in a while the magic is back (Duma Key, Mr. Mercedes, Hearts in Atlantis).
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress

14317 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, still haven't read Mr. Mercedes.

Must pick it up.

--A

Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

23974 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:

King is a much better short story-teller than he is a novelist, but every once in a while he hits a homer with his novels (It, Wizard & Glass, Carrie, Christine, and a few others). I feel like The Stand was something he really felt, rather than one of his stories that he phoned in (pretty much anything from the cocaine days, and a lot of his post-accident novels). I stick with him, because every once in a while the magic is back (Duma Key, Mr. Mercedes, Hearts in Atlantis).

Agreed. His novellas and short stories are awesome, but give him some time to be wordy, and the quality tends to go down, especially in his later novels.

Thought Tommyknockers was 30% too long, and had he chopped Needful Things in half it would have been a great book.

The Mist, Langoliers, and Library Policeman were great examples of his novellas, while "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band", "The Jaunt", "Quitter's Inc.", and "The Raft", and great shorter stories.

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

15952 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, The Raft is great. Hell, I don't think there's a bad story in Skeleton Crew or Night Shift.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress

14317 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hated the one about the monkey doll thing. And the dead grandma.

Tommyknockers wasn't just too long, it was flat out awful.

--A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Stephen King Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: