Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liberals are stifling intellectual diversity on campus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

34463 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoctorGamgee wrote:
My memory is trying to recall the specifics [[[snip]]],

Victim's opinion is all that matters. And facts are not needed to justify punishment.

I'm not sure if your memory is faulty, or you just read the article, but not the letter.
This was talked about around here somewhere...
And I'm fairly sure my memory is that the victims opinion isn't all that matters, and facts are explicitly part of the process...
It just doesn't do what the article claims it does.
just like the other one isn't a ban or a policy.

Some of this kind of junk does go too far on some campuses...but the cause isn't just some [s]mothering liberal gov't plot.
And the vast majority of intellectual diversity stifling in the US of A isn't happening at public universities.

-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

15375 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is different for everybody.

--A

Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

56331 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi casts "Thread Necromancy".

Here is a study on "Bias Response Teams on university campuses.

Quote:
Over the past several years, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) has received an increasing number of reports that colleges and universities are inviting students to anonymously report offensive, yet constitutionally protected, speech to administrators and law enforcement through so-called "Bias Response Teams." These teams monitor and investigate student and faculty speech, directing the attention of law enforcement and student conduct administrators towards the expression of students and faculty members.

To better understand this phenomenon, FIRE gathered data throughout 2016 on every bias reporting system we could locate. FIRE sought to determine who reviews the reports, what categories of bias they are charged with addressing, and whether the institution acknowledges that the system generates a tension with free speech and academic freedom.

FIRE discovered and surveyed 232 Bias Response Teams at public and private institutions during 2016. The expression of at least 2.84 million American students is subject to review by Bias Response Teams. While most students in higher education do not yet appear to be subject to bias reporting systems, we believe that the number of Bias Response Teams is growing rapidly.

The composition of Bias Response Teams is not always made public. About 28% did not reveal the names or rules of any team members.

At some point we will arrive at the situation where university campuses are completely quiet--no one will dare say a word to anyone for fear of being targeted for investigation by a Bias Response Team.

My prediction: within the next three years (let's just say Trump's term) someone on a university campus will be "triggered" by the mere physical presence of a white person.

I keep telling the kids that they are going to college but now I begin to wonder if that is a good idea. If most campuses wind up with crap like this I may suggest just getting computer certifications...except they will still need a bachelor's degree to get a job.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Zarathustra
Be True

12344 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Left is getting creepier all the time. I can't believe they think this thought-police bullshit is okay. Progressives need to be honest with themselves and admit that within their ranks are anti-freedom radicals who are gaining more and more power within our culture and education systems. They are faced with a problem analogous to "moderate" Muslims : you must stand against the radicals on your own side, lest you risk being lumped in with them. The silence from the Left on these anti-American, anti-freedom tactics speaks volumes.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

56331 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some black college students want to return to the days of separate but equal.

Quote:
A student activist group at the University of Michigan is demanding campus officials provide them with "a permanent designated space on central campus for Black students and students of color to organize and do social justice work."

The demand is one of several lodged by "Students4Justice," who this month ratcheted up campus demonstrations to pressure administrators to cave, complaining in a newly launched petition that President Mark Schlissel has snubbed their demands.

The clamor for a segregated space for students of color to organize social justice efforts comes even as the public university builds a $10 million center for black students in the center of campus.

In their demands, students explain why the new black student center is not enough, "because we want a space solely dedicated to community organizing and social justice work specifically for people of color."

"We want documentation of past, current, and future student activism and this should be a permanent space that is staffed, and has resources for students to organize and share resources," the demand letter states.

Leaders of "Students4Justice" did not respond to requests from The College Fix seeking comment. Campus spokesman Rick Fitzgerald told The Fix that at "this point, our colleagues in Student Life have been working with the Students4Justice leaders to better understand their concerns. This is our normal process."

The demands caught the attention of the Michigan Review, an independent student news outlet which first reported on the issue--and criticized it.

"The same organization that criticizes the University for failing to create 'an environment that engages in diversity, equity and inclusion,' is calling upon the University to undermine these ideals by facilitating a sort of de facto segregation? One where space and resources are designated for students based solely on the color of their skin?" the Review wrote.

"To advocate for the ideals of diversity, equity and inclusion, while simultaneously calling upon the University to sanction these spaces on campus is both unprincipled and laughably regressive," it added.

Can you imagine what the response would be if a group of white students were pressuring the university for a space dedicated only to white students? This is the very textbook definition of "racism"--treating people differently based solely on skin color.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Mighara Sovmadhi
A shadow on the heart of the Earth

Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010
8607 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're worried about people (possibly) not being able to go to college (in the unknown future) for having the wrong beliefs, when most people who can't go to college, can't because they have the wrong amount of money. Wink

EDIT: Secondly, where are people usually gonna be noticeably airing controversial such opinions? Political classes. If you get a degree in political science, what kind of job is that gonna help you get? One of my friends sells life insurance, but he majored in communications (minored in poli-sci IIRC).

"Oh I can't go to university and get a useless degree because I'm a conservative!" Boohoo haha. And I think that I'm paranoid...
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

56331 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:
We're worried about people (possibly) not being able to go to college (in the unknown future) for having the wrong beliefs, when most people who can't go to college, can't because they have the wrong amount of money. Wink

That is what community colleges are for. You can still get a decent education and earn a degree from your local community college or you can go there, get all your basic classes out of the way, then transfer to some large State or name-brand college for your last two years.

These days, professors are trying to incorporate political discussions into virtually every class because it gives them a way to indoctrinate students. That is why hard science is so awesome--it is impossible to politicize your Grignard reaction in your organic chemistry lab.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel

15375 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno man, I tend to think the whole "liberal indoctrination" thing is a bit over-stated. Obviously I'm at a significant remove, but it still seems to be making assumptions about intent that cannot actually be proven.

--A

Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16091 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's well documented.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress

15375 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.

--A

Loremaster
Forensic PhD Scholar

Male

1970 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Calm Horizons1 2007 Watchies1 Invictus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno man, I tend to think the whole "liberal indoctrination" thing is a bit over-stated. Obviously I'm at a significant remove, but it still seems to be making assumptions about intent that cannot actually be proven.

--A

I'm tutoring in a human rights subject, and the department is infested with far left ideology. Witnessed mass indoctrination attempt three weeks ago in the first lecture of the semester. Which coincided with an attack on conservative views (massive conflation of points).

http://www.carrsq.qut.edu.au/aboutus/staff/staffprofile.jsp?id=1173
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Male

Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.
5450 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Raver1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a liberal university professor, but to be fair, I try to stifle all forms of intelligence when I teach.

-jay

15375 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You in the US now Lore?

I wonder if this comes out of the same "impulse" that makes US news so polarised / polarising?

At my university you couldn't get the professors to give a personal political opinion if you threatened their children.

I'm still however not sold on the implication that there's a conspiracy of it. Maybe all these liberal professors just really believe they're "improving" people?

--A

kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Male

Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.
5450 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Raver1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more that professors, like anyone else, like to speak their mind. First amendment and all. Academic freedom. No conspiracy. Faculty tend to be more liberal, so you have more liberal points of view.

If there's a conspiracy, they have sure kept me out of that loop. My pay grade must not be high enough.

-jay
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

56331 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is no organized conspiracy, only that more people are willing to take the leap from holding legitimate discussions about important topics into demonizing the other side. As I have noted, conservative tend to think liberals are incorrect while liberals tend to think that conservatives are wrong. There are many connotations associated with that word, which is why I use it. If I say "Federal funding for Planned Parenthood should be cut because it is not a wise use of Federal money, that money should go to some other program, or health insurance plans already cover all the procedures which PP offers though other medical providers" then another conservative or liberal might argue "yes, but women who are poor might not have coverage so PP is their only option" but many liberals would immediately response with "you hate women".

We live in a world now where most people don't even pretend to hold dispassionate debates; rather, it is like everyone went to the Groucho Marx school of debate: so, have you stopped beating your wife?

Many professors who fall into the "indoctrinate others" category also likely suffer from ego issues--you don't dare disagree with them, especially in their classroom, because they won't forget it (and neither will you).

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Loremaster
Forensic PhD Scholar

Male

1970 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Calm Horizons1 2007 Watchies1 Invictus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You in the US now Lore?

I wonder if this comes out of the same "impulse" that makes US news so polarised / polarising?

At my university you couldn't get the professors to give a personal political opinion if you threatened their children.

I'm still however not sold on the implication that there's a conspiracy of it. Maybe all these liberal professors just really believe they're "improving" people?

--A

Sorry for not being clear; I'm in a Queensland university still, until December; then I move.

http://www.carrsq.qut.edu.au/aboutus/staff/staffprofile.jsp?id=1173
DoctorGamgee
Sandgorgon in training...

Male

7843 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Glimmermere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinswatch wrote:
It's more that professors, like anyone else, like to speak their mind. First amendment and all. Academic freedom. No conspiracy. Faculty tend to be more liberal, so you have more liberal points of view.

-jay

Perhaps that is true. As a conservative professor in a rather liberal field, I have seen search committees looking carefully at answers given to see where upon the spectrum one lies. It might be possible that there are indeed more liberal faculty. However, one must at least look at the possibility that bias might occur which facilitates this imbalance. A couple of years ago, a fellow faculty member said he tended to avoid voicing his conservative opinions for fear of losing his job. As a liberal, do you find this to be the case for you as well?

I only ask, as when an Army Captain (in the Reserves) joined our faculty, there was a sudden bloom of gun owning faculty and administration talking about how they were "doing at the range" on campus, where discussions of handguns were never present before. Do similar things like this happen in your perspective?
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16091 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women aren't free until speech is

Quote:
History moves in cycles. The plague of political correctness and assaults on free speech that erupted in the 1980s and were beaten back in the 1990s have returned with a vengeance. In the United States, the universities as well as the mainstream media are currently patrolled by well-meaning but ruthless thought police, as dogmatic in their views as agents of the Spanish Inquisition. We are plunged once again into an ethical chaos where intolerance masquerades as tolerance and where individual liberty is crushed by the tyranny of the group.

The premier principles of my new book, Free Women, Free Men, are free thought and free speech-open, mobile, and unconstrained by either liberal or conservative ideology. The liberal versus conservative dichotomy, dating from the split between Left and Right following the French Revolution, is hopelessly outmoded for our far more complex era of expansive technology and global politics. A bitter polarization of liberal and conservative has become so extreme and strident in both the Americas and Europe that it sometimes resembles mental illness, severed from the common sense realities of everyday life.

My dissident brand of feminism is grounded in my own childhood experience as a fractious rebel against the suffocating conformism of the 1950s, when Americans, exhausted by two decades of economic instability and war, reverted to a Victorian cult of domesticity that limited young girls' aspirations and confined them (in my jaundiced view) to a simpering, saccharine femininity.

In 1991, New York Newsday published my op-ed on date rape, which remains the most controversial thing I have ever written. Syndicated in regional newspapers from coast to coast in haphazard truncated form, it caused a huge backlash. There was a coordinated campaign, evidently emanating from feminist groups in the Midwest, to harass the president of my university with demands for my firing. That article, often reprinted in freshman-composition course packs at state universities, caused me endless trouble throughout the 1990s. It led to picketing and protests at my outside campus lectures and to my own walk-offs (to avoid fisticuffs) from Austrian and British TV talk shows and even from the stage of Queen Elizabeth Hall in London.

I still stand by every word of my date-rape manifesto. Women infantilize themselves when they cede responsibility for sexual encounters to men or to after-the-fact grievance committees, parental proxies unworthy of true feminists. My baby-boom generation demanded and won an end to such parietal rules, and it is tragic indeed how so many of today's young women seem to long for a return of those hovering paternalistic safeguards. As a career college teacher, I want our coddling, authoritarian universities to end all involvement with or surveillance of students' social lives and personal interactions, verbal or otherwise. If a crime is committed, it should be reported to the police. Otherwise, college administrations should mind their own business and focus on facilitating and funding education in the classroom.

The Free Speech Movement, led by a fiery Italian-American, Mario Savio, erupted at the University of California at Berkeley in 1964, the year I entered college. It was a cardinal moment for my generation. The anti-establishment stance of the Free Speech Movement represented the authentic populist revolution of the 1960s, which resisted encroachments of authority by a repressive elite. How is it possible that today's academic Left has supported rather than protested campus speech codes as well as the grotesque surveillance and over-regulation of student life? American colleges have abandoned their educational mission and become government colonies, ruled by officious bureaucrats enforcing federal dictates. This despotic imperialism has no place in a modern democracy. An enlightened feminism, animated by a courageous code of personal responsibility, can only be built upon a wary alliance of strong women and strong men.

"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

56331 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:

Quote:
How is it possible that today's academic Left has supported rather than protested campus speech codes as well as the grotesque surveillance and over-regulation of student life? American colleges have abandoned their educational mission and become government colonies, ruled by officious bureaucrats enforcing federal dictates. This despotic imperialism has no place in a modern democracy. An enlightened feminism, animated by a courageous code of personal responsibility, can only be built upon a wary alliance of strong women and strong men.

Modern liberalism wants as little to do with personal responsibility as possible. As Paglia notes, these young people with their microaggressions, trigger words/events, and their need for safe spaces want an all-powerful Government Parent to make everyone "play nice" as if this were pre-kindergarten recess time.

Liberals have always hated Paglia for saying what she says. Conservatives have always loved Paglia (even though she doesn't reciprocate).

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Mighara Sovmadhi
A shadow on the heart of the Earth

Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010
8607 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This neo/post-liberal warped/absent/alternative concept of personal responsibility didn't percolate into being out of an intellectual vacuum, though. There is, for instance, a good deal of literature on the topic of "moral luck" that basically calls into question the idea that anyone is ever clearly morally responsible for almost anything we normally think they are, or responsible as such to the degree we would think, or whatever.

Now I myself am obsessed with the idea that noncompatibilist free will exists so I cling to the traditional image of personal responsibility, but I can see where the "other side(s)" is (are) coming from, more or less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: