Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allan Holdsworth, Revered Fusion Guitarist, Dies At 70

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dANdeLION
Leoninus Scurrae

3899 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad1 Holy Launch Button1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Allan Holdsworth, Revered Fusion Guitarist, Dies At 70 Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-allan-holdsworth-20170417-story.html
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Hobbes *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Zarathustra
Be True

13859 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw man, that sucks. I had no idea he was so old. This one hits me harder than any of the other recent deaths in the last couple years, even more than Chris Squire. Holdsworth was a true pioneer of the guitar, a virtuoso with a sound and style unlike any other. He was appreciated by jazz fusion enthusiasts, but few others in the mainstream.

Actually, I take that back. I learned about him around age 15 from Eddie Van Halen. I'd read an article/interview of Eddie, who was asked who his influences were. He talked about Clapton and May, but also this guy with a weird name, "Holdsworth." I remember it specifically in reference to Allan's tone ... the brown tone. Eddie said he tried to replicate that sound using his own finger-tapping, hammer-on/pull-off technique. I wouldn't realize until years later that Eddie was talking about Allan's legato style. Allan was so fucking good, he could do what Eddie does on one hand, without "cheating" with some gimmicky technique. He was so liquid smooth and precise with his right hand, he managed to sound like he was doing a Van Halen impression just with standard playing. (But the impression was actually the other way around.)

Once I got into jazz fusion, I started hearing Holdsworth. I bought a bunch of his CDs. Love every one of them, but my favorite is probably Allan's least favorite, the early one that sounds the most like rock, the heaviest one. His solos get to a sonic universe that no other guitarist can reach. They blow me away every time.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
dANdeLION
Leoninus Scurrae

3899 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad1 Holy Launch Button1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Allan Holdsworth on his last tour; and Chris Squire on his last Yes t tour, too.
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Hobbes *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: