Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Fav/Best Star Trek Film?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Star Wars and Star Trek Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your fav?
Wrath of Khan
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Voyage Home
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
The Motion Picture
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Generations
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Next Generation two-hour Pilot Movie (TV)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Undiscoverd Country
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Search for Spock
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Other
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

Immanentizing The Eschaton

14340 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily. Very Happy

--A

aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

7696 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH2 Covenant's Novels1 Ultraman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted this in another thread but it seems equally applicable here.

aTOMiC wrote:
I re-watched Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis this past weekend.

I've always felt that Generations suffers from the creative team having difficulty transitioning from television to film.

What was so noticeable this time was that the story telling feels labored in a way that only an existing fan of the Next Gen series would forgive. The stakes are never adequately demonstrated and the film leaps from ship to ship to ship to Nexus to ship to uninhabited rocky terrain giving the story a claustrophobic feel that could have been accomplished on a television episode budget. The scenes with Kirk and Picard are only shared with Dr. Soran so this legendary pairing seems incredibly isolated. (You couldn't squeeze in a scene on the Enterprise where the bridge crew is looking at the main viewer to check up on Picard and sees Kirk and are all like..WTF!?) Soran is killed and after Kirk dies Picard buries him so when Picard gets back to Star Fleet and explains that he had an adventure with the great Captain Kirk they probably thought he'd hit his head.
Picard: "But I did meet James Kirk! I did! Doesn't anyone believe me?"
Star Fleet Command: "Sure you did, Jean Luc. We understand. Just last week I became Abraham Lincoln and fought along side Kirk, Spock and Surak of Vulcan. Why don't you take extended shore leave on Risa?"

Not terrible but not awesome.

My opinion of First Contact hasn't changed...

Insurrection is pretty much a film of two halves. The first half is a typical low key Next Gen story about wrestling with philosophical issues in a quiet and dignified manner and in the second half a hollywood feature almost breaks out. If I didn't love Next Gen I might have fallen asleep before the beginning of the third act. Not a great formula for selling tickets to the general public.

After staying away from watching Nemesis for several years I found the film to be well acted and directed but just a little misguided.
I have always liked the premise and a good deal of the film is entertaining. The sub-plot involving B4 is distracting and unnecessary, especially how he is found in the first act.

And oh by the way let me reiterate...Kirk is the ultimate Star Ship Captain.
IMHO of course. Big Grin

Quote:
"I'm not sure why I posted in this thread. Its like dropping a balloon into a cactus farm."

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Sorus
eternal antagonist

Female

18553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soar1 Pocket Knife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should watch Nemesis again. Only seen it once. I remember being annoyed with the end being anticlimactic and generally lacking in suspense, but I don't really remember why.

Burn your white flags
Refuse to surrender
And raise your red flags
To remember
To remember

Shuram Gudatetris
Luxurator of In-Flux Crust Eruptions

Male

2589 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lego1 Translation1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried watching Nemesis a few months ago. I shut it off shortly after the scene where Picard went ATVing (wish I would have shut it off B4 that Wink )

I maxed-out Tetris!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

7696 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:
I tried watching Nemesis a few months ago. I shut it off shortly after the scene where Picard went ATVing (wish I would have shut it off B4 that Wink )

HAH!!!!

Well SG, that's where it gets sticky for me too. (I HATE THE DUNE BUGGY SCENE ESPECIALLY!!!!)

I think I begin to find the film interesting after Shinzon is introduced and the duality of the two versions of Picard are explored over the course of the rest of the film.

Quote:
"I'm not sure why I posted in this thread. Its like dropping a balloon into a cactus farm."

Sorus
eternal antagonist

Female

18553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soar1 Pocket Knife

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd managed to forget about the dune buggy scene.

Burn your white flags
Refuse to surrender
And raise your red flags
To remember
To remember

aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

7696 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorus wrote:
I'd managed to forget about the dune buggy scene.

If only I could. Smile

The only thing I would also like to forget more would be Spock's "rocket boots".

Quote:

Sorus
eternal antagonist

Female

18553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soar1 Pocket Knife

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aTOMiC wrote:

The only thing I would also like to forget more would be Spock's "rocket boots".

ST:V would have been better in general if they'd replaced most of the scenes with different scenes. And rewritten the script. You know, just a couple of minor changes like that.

Burn your white flags
Refuse to surrender
And raise your red flags
To remember
To remember

aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

7696 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorus wrote:
aTOMiC wrote:

ST:V would have been better in general if they'd replaced most of the scenes with different scenes. And rewritten the script. You know, just a couple of minor changes like that.

That sounds like a perfectly logical solution. Big Grin

Quote:

Sorus
eternal antagonist

Female

18553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soar1 Pocket Knife

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to wonder about the dune buggy though - did they build it just for that mission or is that something they have around all the time? And if that's the case, why did we never see it before?

So many questions.

Burn your white flags
Refuse to surrender
And raise your red flags
To remember
To remember

Shuram Gudatetris
Luxurator of In-Flux Crust Eruptions

Male

2589 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lego1 Translation1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorus wrote:
Have to wonder about the dune buggy though - did they build it just for that mission or is that something they have around all the time? And if that's the case, why did we never see it before?

So many questions.

I found it odd that they came down in a small shuttle that can hover above ground and go anywhere, yet for some reason decided to switch to a land rover with wheels. Of course, it sets up the ensuing car chase scene pretty well Razz

My biggest problem was the Remans. How the hell did we not know about them before that movie? Neat idea, "Dark Side of the Moon Romulans", but I didn't buy it.

I watched Star Trek V a few months back as well, and I *did* finish it (I usually do finish a movie once I start it, I'm a movie lover, and Trek lover, so that speaks volumes about how much I didn't like Nemesis!). V's pretty bad, but it does have some redeeming qualities, like, well, I watched it when I was a kid, so there is some nostalgia going for it...and I like the campfire song bit that opens and closes the movie. I don't know, it was pretty bad (cat women dancers, mountain climbing Shatner, Scotty and Uhura?....Spock's BROTHER?....No seriously, he has a fully Vulcan brother that acts like a human, brilliant!) But without V, we wouldn't have one of my favorite Mallory's games!

At least TOS movies got some redemption with The Undiscovered Country. Too bad TNG never got a last shot at redemption Confused

I maxed-out Tetris!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

7696 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:
My biggest problem was the Remans. How the hell did we not know about them before that movie?

From the earliest mentions of the Romulan Empire we had been told about the planets Romulus and Remus so I was not surprised by the Remans being introduced into the Nemesis story. I don't recall ever seeing a Reman before but I knew of them.

As to Star Trek V...I have tried numerous times to try to find some redeeming quality in the film and have failed. Not a fan of the camp fire song. Not a fan of Sulu and Chekov getting lost. Not a fan of Uhura's fan dance. Not a fan of Scotty cracking his head on a bulkhead. Not a fan of Sybok (though Laurence Luckinbill did his best with a crappy part and gave an at least earnest portrayal). Not a fan of the sub par special effects. Not a fan of the Vulcan neck pinch on a horse. Not a fan of an alien defending a dry field of holes to make a point. Not a fan of brain washing the crew by taking away their pain (that's not even a thing). Not a fan of the idiotic way the "god" entity was portrayed. Not a fan of the bafflingly dumb use of the Klingons. Not a fan of the entire concept of Nimbus III. Not a fan of the Uhura and Scotty thing. Not a fan of a 100 lb plus Cat Woman being thrown up and across a room by Kirk like he's got super human strength. Not a fan of Kirk mountain climbing. Not a fan of the Enterprise A being a piece of crap. NOT A FAN OF THE F*CK*NG ROCKET BOOTS!!!!!!!

I could go on forever here. But lets not forget something that I consider vital. I am also one who LOVES Star Trek and is willing to forgive just about anything because I am the worst kind of fanboy. However I draw the line here! No further! Big Grin

Quote:

Sorus
eternal antagonist

Female

18553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soar1 Pocket Knife

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aTOMiC wrote:

I could go on forever here. But lets not forget something that I consider vital. I am also one who LOVES Star Trek and is willing to forgive just about anything because I am the worst kind of fanboy. However I draw the line here! No further! Big Grin

Same. As I've said before (the main context was the last season of BSG) - I don't tend to nitpick something to bits unless it's something that I'm pretty deeply invested in. Basically, I love this but I know you can do better.

Burn your white flags
Refuse to surrender
And raise your red flags
To remember
To remember

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Star Wars and Star Trek Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: