Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cail's big honking Rush thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dANdeLION
Leoninus Scurrae

3900 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad1 Holy Launch Button1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That line of reasoning seems flawed, seeing that Rush has disbanded too.
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Hobbes *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

9662 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH2 Covenant's Novels1 Ultraman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dANdeLION wrote:
That line of reasoning seems flawed, seeing that Rush has disbanded too.

But rush disbanded recently. The Cars broke up in 1986 and most of the other bands that were my favorite have long since disappeared or their members have died off.

Plus it's not out of the question that rush may record again in the future even if they never tour again.

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Zarathustra
Be True

13958 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush has been my favorite band since about 1987. It was Van Halen in middle school, then Rush in high school. I've gotten into a lot of different music since then, but nothing has ever replaced Rush in the top spot. Discovering their entire back catalog in 1987 was jaw dropping, especially Exit Stage Left. Every new album since then has been a bit of a let down (but still good), until Vapor Trails, S&A, and their masterpiece Clockwork Angels. Hell, I even like Feedback.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Akasri
Haruchai

1643 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush became my favorite band when 2112 came out - I was a junior in high school. A friend of mine loaned me his 8-track of 2112 ("You gotta hear this first song!"). I loved it. Immediately drove to the store and bought a copy for myself, along with their first two albums which were boxed together in a 2-for-1 sale.

Loved them ever since. I've seen them live maybe 10 times, including opening night on the R40 tour.

Awesome band! I hate that they aren't going to tour anymore, but I know how I feel at my age... I couldn't imagine trying to play a world tour, and the guys in Rush are a few years older than me. They've earned the right to retire and enjoy life Smile
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14447 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ged and Alex inducted Yes in the RRHOF Friday night. Lots of videos can be found online, but here's Roundabout with Ged on bass:

https://vid.me/Zdfc
Be True

13958 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ged's tone is too deep for that song. He should have used a Rick.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14447 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw another video where Geddy says that the fender jazz had the best tone for him.
Be True

13958 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fender Jazz has an amazing tone. I've got one, too, including the same strings that Ged uses. However, he doesn't sound like Chris Squire, and this is especially true on an iconic bass-forward song like Roundabout. Part of the problem is that Squire plays with a pick, which brightens up your tone with nice sharp attack. Geddy does play aggressively, and often uses a "flamenco" style where he's flicking the strings with his fingernails--which gets you closer to a pick sound than playing traditionally with your fingers--but this just sounded muddy to me.

I actually dislike the Rickenbaker sound, but it fits better with acoustic guitar.

dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14447 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the new Spielberg move that is due out in 2018. It has a familiar tune. Wink

https://youtu.be/VE71JOvLPvE
Be True

13958 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlbpharmd wrote:
This is the new Spielberg move that is due out in 2018. It has a familiar tune. Wink

https://youtu.be/VE71JOvLPvE
It's amazing how fitting a song from 1980 can seem in a science fiction setting for 2045. It still sounds 'futuristic' today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: