Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eclipse! 2017

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarathustra
Be True

12309 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Eclipse! 2017 Reply with quote

Is everyone making their plans? If you're traveling, make your reservations now. It might already be too late. The interstates are going to be PACKED, and hotels are going to be hard to get. Luckily, we live only two hours away from the totality zone, in a city where my brother lives. So we have a place to stay, but we'll be leaving the day before to avoid the rush.

We got three pair of eclipse glasses for $10 online. Get 'em while you can.

Keep your fingers crossed for clear skies!
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14407 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contingency plans for anywhere between Smyrna, TN and Dayton, TN, depending on weather.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

15340 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only visible from the US. Very Happy

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

12309 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlbpharmd wrote:
I have contingency plans for anywhere between Smyrna, TN and Dayton, TN, depending on weather.
Sparta and Spring City look like good choices in that area, getting you as close as possible to the middle of the path. My "base camp" will be Bowling Green, KY. I'll watch the weather and decide if I need to go west or south. Too bad we can't get together! Hopkinsville KY to Hendersonville TN will be in reach for me that morning. But I'm really worried about traffic. Millions of people are going to be scrambling to get into the path. We'll have to contend with everyone from Cincinnati to Birmingham, maybe even more. Hell, public schools in Lexington KY (2+ hours away) are cancelling classes because they know so many will be skipping. Tiny towns are going to see their numbers swell like they've never seen before.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

56323 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, made no plans to try and drive to any place where we could see totality. We will probably have 20% to 40% coverage here and that will have to be enough.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male

1418 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid to use those glasses I see all over the place. Anyone know if they are safe?

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
Zarathustra
Be True

12309 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased ISO certified safe eclipse glasses. They aren't the cheap cardboard versions you often see. Heavy duty plastic. The lenses are so dark, you cannot see anything through them at all unless you are looking at a very bright light in the dark, and even then you can barely see the light. I've looked directly at the sun in a cloudless sky for several minutes with them, and didn't even have any afterimages once I looked away. No pain. I think I'm good to go!

[Edit: after thinking about this some more, I got a little worried. My glasses are from China. I'm not sure they're lab tested. So I did a little research and found this link of reputable vendors who lab test their glasses. I just ordered 3 more for $20. It's probably overkill, since I have viewed the sun several times last week with no adverse effects, but I just want to make sure.]

dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14407 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:
Sparta and Spring City look like good choices in that area, getting you as close as possible to the middle of the path. My "base camp" will be Bowling Green, KY. I'll watch the weather and decide if I need to go west or south. Too bad we can't get together! Hopkinsville KY to Hendersonville TN will be in reach for me that morning. But I'm really worried about traffic. Millions of people are going to be scrambling to get into the path. We'll have to contend with everyone from Cincinnati to Birmingham, maybe even more. Hell, public schools in Lexington KY (2+ hours away) are cancelling classes because they know so many will be skipping. Tiny towns are going to see their numbers swell like they've never seen before.

Sparta and Spring City are on my list of contingencies, and the great thing about those 2 locations is that I'm very familiar with the back roads and can avoid the interstate altogether.
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male

1418 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
I have purchased ISO certified safe eclipse glasses. They aren't the cheap cardboard versions you often see. Heavy duty plastic. The lenses are so dark, you cannot see anything through them at all unless you are looking at a very bright light in the dark, and even then you can barely see the light. I've looked directly at the sun in a cloudless sky for several minutes with them, and didn't even have any afterimages once I looked away. No pain. I think I'm good to go!

[Edit: after thinking about this some more, I got a little worried. My glasses are from China. I'm not sure they're lab tested. So I did a little research and found this link of reputable vendors who lab test their glasses. I just ordered 3 more for $20. It's probably overkill, since I have viewed the sun several times last week with no adverse effects, but I just want to make sure.]

Yeah, I'm nowhere close to the eclipse zone but those cheap glasses from 7-11 are selling out. lol

Thanks for the list of good dealers.

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

8708 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH2 Covenant's Novels1 Ultraman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in West Central Florida we will get a pretty good show. Not total but decent. I have family in Tennessee that will have front row seats.

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Damelon
Lord

1737 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the weather, I'll be in either Illinois or Missouri for it.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. ~ Carl Sagan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
peter
the spider from Mars

19282 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cardboard glasses are perfectly fine: we used them for the 1999 eclipse in the UK with no problems. Can't stress enough how beautiful an event totality is - world changing! If it is possible in any way, make the trip - you will never regret it!

Just in case the day does arrive cloudy - don't loose hope: there is a rare eclipse phenomenon of the clouds actually parting prior to totality to reveal the star event (and I know this can happen because one seen it) - and even if it doesn't the odd lighting effects of the phenomena make incredible viewing just on their own. Choose a venue of beauty in its own right and enjoy the company of your fellow watchers and the party atmosphere that pervades everything!

Good luck and good Watching my friends - how I wish I could be there with you!

Very Happy

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

1414 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to build an altar and cutup a calf...

Booga Booga... Booga..
peter
the spider from Mars

19282 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
I worked with a woman at the time of our eclipse who, when I returned to the office having witnessed it had not even taken the ten steps to the front door that would have been required for her to see the rare event. "I'm not interested in that sort of thing" she grumbled, not even breaking stride in her typing. It was then that I realized that there are more than one species of human being inhabiting this planet. Laughing

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Zarathustra
Be True

12309 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! That was glorious.

I knew what to expect, but to hear my son freaking out beside me was priceless. We planned it out carefully, watching from the northern edge of totality zone so that we could get back on the interstate before the majority of the crowd left. We got back home only 30 minutes later than normal for the 3 hour drive. That was an experience I'll never forget.

peter
the spider from Mars

19282 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applaud Applaud

Unless you're mega-rich or mega dedicated, it's a truly once in a lifetime phenomena ........ if you're lucky! The event was covered well by the UK news including the record that it apparently drew one of the largest audiences in human history! Fantastic! Smile

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14407 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was indeed glorious!

We experienced a little over 2 minutes of totality in Cookeville, TN.

There was a bit of traffic driving home, but manageable.

My daughters were still talking about it last night. I'm glad we made the trip together.
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

8708 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH2 Covenant's Novels1 Ultraman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlbpharmd wrote:
That was indeed glorious!

We experienced a little over 2 minutes of totality in Cookeville, TN.

There was a bit of traffic driving home, but manageable.

My daughters were still talking about it last night. I'm glad we made the trip together.

Lucky Duck. Big Grin

It was cool here in central Florida but only a partial total eclipse for us.

Hah. I'll catch it next time. Laughing

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Zarathustra
Be True

12309 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter wrote:
Applaud Applaud

Unless you're mega-rich or mega dedicated, it's a truly once in a lifetime phenomena ........ if you're lucky! The event was covered well by the UK news including the record that it apparently drew one of the largest audiences in human history! Fantastic! Smile
It's going to happen in Kentucky again in 2024. So yeah, we're pretty lucky.

Damelon
Lord

1737 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was amazing! Pictures don't do justice to it. I saw it in Dixon Springs, in southern Illinois near the center line. Darkness where we were but it looked like dawn on the horizon in every direction. Epic traffic returning home but it was well worth it.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. ~ Carl Sagan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Loresraat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: