Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beethoven
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worm of Despite
Banned

Male

12317 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
2 Foul Duck1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, don't let me comments on him let you down! He's just not, ahem, my type. Kempff and Arrau are both great--just for different reasons.

Really, I was considering Kempff myself, since his set was cheaper. But Arrau had the piano concertos in his set, and I haven't heard them. But yeah; Arrau or Kempff. They're so high up there on the pedestal of great pianists that whoever you choose it's win-win!
safetyjedi
Master of the Green Cross

Male

18 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been a Beethoven fan ever since I was a little child. My mother would play Fur Elise just about every day so it's all her fault. Moonlight Sonata is very emotional and moving to me. I also agree with MM in that his 1st Symphony is overated. I also recently saw "Immotal Beloved" on DVD. I really liked the film, I don't know what you folks think about it but it was interesting to see how what was going on in his world influenced his music. He was quite the genius.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

10527 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Amadeus, Immortal Beloved takes liberties with the facts that we know. No big deal, though, I absolutely love both movies. As well as Impromptu, which is about Chopin, his girlfriend George Sand, Liszt, and their gang.

All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
cheek turner

8348 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safetyjedi wrote:
I also agree with MM in that his 1st Symphony is overated.

Huh? Actually, um, I think Beethoven's 1st Symphony is underrated.

Quote:
I also recently saw "Immotal Beloved" on DVD. I really liked the film, I don't know what you folks think about it but it was interesting to see how what was going on in his world influenced his music. He was quite the genius.

I only saw the movie once, when it first came out in theatres. It was okay, but I remember it as being a little goofy and a little too pretentious. (Yeah, yeah, classical stuff is pretentious by default, etc., etc.) Gary Oldman was good: it was inspired casting to have him play the "wild man" of classical music. But he can carry a not-so-brilliant movie by himself only so far.

Anyway, just wanted to say I listened to Simon Rattle's recording of Symphonies 1 and 3 with the Vienna Philharmonic, and I have to report I'm quite disappointed by both the sound and the performance. The rich Vienna sound I had been expecting wasn't there, only a rather dry, lifeless sound. And Rattle is underwhelming in his direction of the music, which is surprising, as I've come to expect fire and brimstone from his conducting. Not much evidence of passion in this recording, I'm afraid. I had been looking forward to Rattle's Beethoven, but this recording has killed my enthusiasm for the rest of the symphony cycle.
Damelon
Lord

2207 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That caught my eye, MM, that you thought that the Vienna Philharmonic didn't sound up to form with Rattle conducting. I always was of the opinion that the Vienna was such a great orchestra that it could go into "autopilot" with just about any conductor and still sound great. I guess I'll have to revise that opinion.

I think I mentioned before that a highlight of mine was seeing Leonard Bernstein in concert conduct the Vienna Philharmonic in a performance of Beethoven's 7th.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
duchess of malfi
Mother of Dragons, Slayer of Lies

Female

11341 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck1 Foul Duck1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would have been heavenly, Damelon. Smile You know you're more than welcome if you want to pop over the Lake and hear the Vienna play Schubert next spring. Smile

I enjoyed Immortal Beloved, just as I enjoyed Amadeus. You have to take everything in both movies with a grain of salt, as they are historical fiction rather than factual biography, but both films give you a flavor of the times these two great composers lived in. For example, I vaguely knew that Beethoven lived in the Napoleonic era, but I didn't truly make the emotional connection on how living during a continental wide war might have affected him until I saw the movie. Cool

Well, I had always thought that the Vienna was the finest group of classical musicians in the world, year in and year out. They really have an awesome reputation. I hope they will be on form next year when they are on tour, especially considering I have already purchased two tickets. Laughing Laughing Laughing

matrixman
cheek turner

8348 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damelon, maybe I'm being too harsh on Simon Rattle. It's a completely subjective thing: I tend to hold conductors to a higher standard than usual when it comes to Beethoven's symphonies, as these are very special works of music to me. If I feel that conductors fall short of doing justice to Beethoven's music, then I fall on them like a ton of bricks.

But that's just my ears. It's entirely possible that you and Duchess might listen to this recording by Rattle and love it, and wonder what is that windbag Matrixman complaining about? Heh, Beethoven's music gets very personal. Smile

Quote:
I think I mentioned before that a highlight of mine was seeing Leonard Bernstein in concert conduct the Vienna Philharmonic in a performance of Beethoven's 7th.

Bernstein. Vienna. Beethoven's 7th. What more needs to be said? That was a rare privilege you had, Damelon. Awesome!

Bernstein and the Vienna players had a special magic together. Talk about a great Vienna sound! The orchestra was always magnificent under Lenny's direction in their recordings of Beethoven, Mahler and Mozart. I guess this was what Rattle was competing with in my mind. (Well, I was also judging Rattle by the standard of Beethoven performance set by Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic. Not giving poor Simon a break, am I?)

Re: Amadeus - I love the soundtrack but I've never actually seen the movie. Being that this is one of Fist&Faith's favorite films, he's gonna come after me with his freakin' fearsome fists of doom.
duchess of malfi

Female

11341 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soundtrack to Amadeus is glorious -- my first introduction to Mozart. Smile

While, as I said, historical fiction, it does give a flavor of the times and life of Mozart -- his complicated relationship with his father, the nasty court intrigues and petty one-upmanship of the musician/courtiers -- and the hints of a world about to change forever with the French Revolution looming on the horizon...

Damelon
Lord

2207 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday, Ludwig! 235 today!

Sirius is playing the symphonies, in order, this afternoon. I think I've got my afternoon charted out. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
matrixman
cheek turner

8348 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed ol' Ludwig's B-day. That's a lot of years.

Sirius, eh? Satellite radio was only recently approved in Canada as a legitimate service. Before that, people were already receiving U.S. satellite radio, but through illegal means. That's what I heard. Personally, though, I haven't followed the radio scene for years. Of course, that would probably make me the ideal audience for satellite radio to target.
duchess of malfi

Female

11341 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I celebrated the Great One's birthday by hearing his Ninth Symphony in concert last Friday. It was a wonderful experience. Cool Cool Cool Everyone leaving the concert was whistling, humming, or singing the Ode to Joy theme song. Cool Very Happy

Worm of Despite
Banned

Male

12317 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
2 Foul Duck1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beethoven's 9th symphony premiered in Vienna today.

Oh friends, not these tones!
Rather let us sing more
cheerful and more joyful ones.
Joy! Glad joy!

Joy, beautiful spark of the gods,
Daughter of Elysium,
We approach fire-drunk,
Heavenly One, your shrine.
Your magic reunites
What custom sternly divides;
All people become brothers

Wish I could've been there. But then I wouldn't be here. Wink
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

6196 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still of the opinion that Beethoven's Fourth Symphony is good music to fall asleep to, the volume softly playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBXRd0tgJHI
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

6196 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every now and then I feel like listening to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, conducted by Leonard Bernstein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lHOYvIhLxo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: