Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

President Trump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarathustra
Be True

13978 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist and Faith wrote:
What would be extraordinary would be for everyone to try to work together to make it a better country and world. Pointing out real or imagined flaws in the other President/person/party accomplishes nothing.
Tell that to the party that's trying to take down the sitting President. If the Dems (which includes most of the media) would stop trying to take down Trump, let him do the job he was elected to do, maybe he could make the country better.

The economy is already better than 8 years of Obama. During his term, we never had a year of 3% growth--the only president in history to earn this disgraceful distinction--and yet we're already seeing higher than that with Trump (numbers which the CBO predicted we'd never see again back in 2016 when they were making excuses for Obama). Trump has cut more regulation than any other president, and that is already fueling the economy. If Congress would pass his tax plan, we'd see even more growth.

Fist and Faith wrote:
And how much less important are opinions about him now that he's not the President?
Learning from the past is always important. You have to put the present into context. If a person is embarrassed by Trump--who is doing a much better job than Obama--but wasn't embarrassed by Obama, then our current level of embarrassment is all about politics and nothing about making this country great again. People cannot confront their hypocrisy and lack of substance if it is not shown to them.

Fist and Faith wrote:
Maybe a plan to actually make progress in some area would be something worth discussing. Is X a good idea? If No, move on. If Yes, how do we get it put into place?
Trump and the Republicans have such a plan. Trump is having trouble implementing it because the Dems still can't get over the fact that he won. We're still investigating his election. He can't effectively implement his agenda because he is distracted by a constant barrage of Dems trying to undermine or even impeach him for fabricated rumors paid for by the Clinton campaign.

Fist and Faith wrote:
Without an actual revolution, it's probably not possible to make worthwhile changes.

So I guess you may as well carry on with the bickering. Very Happy
We had a revolutionary election last November. Never before has a nonpolitician like Trump been elected. The revolution is being resisted by people on both sides who are fighting for the status quo. If the country would back their President, it might be different.

But instead, they take cheap shots at him, make up fake bullshit news stories about him, and try to impeach him for a mythical Russian connection for which there is not a single shred of evidence.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Zarathustra
Be True

13978 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinswatch wrote:
All you do here is deride and complain and bitch and whine about what a bunch of imbeciles liberals are. You've made your opinion clear. But It's tiresome. It makes me just want to go ignore this place for another six months.
This really bugs me. I do a hell of a lot more here than whine and bitch. I research my points and make detailed arguments. I provide a legitimate, thoughtful point of view whether you like it or not. I haven't seen you put a fraction of the effort into defending your positions. When I criticize Obama, you criticize me. If it takes you six months to think of something worth saying, then perhaps it will be time well spent, but I don't expect much more than the cheapshots and one-liners that you usually contribute.

See you in six months. I hope the wait will be worth it.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

58170 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Trump and the Republicans are not able to get something passed in Congress it isn't because the Democrats won't let them. The Democrats have a minority in both Houses--if Members of Congress vote along party lines the Democrats couldn't stop anything from passing even if they wanted to. If the Republicans aren't able to get something passed it is because they are fighting among themselves so much they can't get anything done.

I have said the same thing about the Democrats as they existed in 2009-2010 when they controlled both Houses--they could have passed whatever they wanted to but they chose not to. Instead, they kept wanting Republican input so things could be "bipartisan", which was their CYA excuse so that if something failed they could say "the Republicans wouldn't let us pass it the way we wanted it--it's their fault".

Consider tax reform. If the Republicans wanted to pass a tax bill that blatantly shoveled money at the top 1% they could do it and there isn't anything anyone could do about it. They don't because they are more afraid of negative media coverage than they are of doing what they say they want to do.

Rep. Al Green's continued efforts to impeach Trump will result in two things: 1) Trump will not be impeached (unless the Democrats manage to gain control of the House in 2018) and 2) the next time a Democrat is elected President (which might be in 2020, we'll just have to see) then Republicans will move to impeach that President over some equally lame, bullshit excuse.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Zarathustra
Be True

13978 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Republican Congress is to blame for not passing legislation. Right now they are Trump's biggest obstacle to implementing his agenda. However, the President does more than sign legislation, and the onslaught of russiarusssiarussia is a distraction. It also undermines the President politically, making Congress fearful of sharing the political consequences if they pass his laws. That's really what all this is about. Dems know they can't impeach ... instead they're seeking to impede and undermine.

If Trump had a 60% approval rating, Congress wouldn't be able to pass his legislation fast enough. This is all a political game, which makes it frustrating to be criticized for playing it. These are the "rules" which the opposition has made. If they want everyone to get along, then they should accept the results of last year's election and let's get on with the work of running the country. As long as they are going to be the opposition party, I'll treat them as the opposition.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

6918 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:
What would be extraordinary would be for everyone to try to work together to make it a better country and world. Pointing out real or imagined flaws in the other President/person/party accomplishes nothing.
Tell that to the party that's trying to take down the sitting President.
I just did.
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

24271 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
I agree that the Republican Congress is to blame for not passing legislation. Right now they are Trump's biggest obstacle to implementing his agenda. However, the President does more than sign legislation, and the onslaught of russiarusssiarussia is a distraction. It also undermines the President politically, making Congress fearful of sharing the political consequences if they pass his laws. That's really what all this is about. Dems know they can't impeach ... instead they're seeking to impede and undermine.

If Trump had a 60% approval rating, Congress wouldn't be able to pass his legislation fast enough. This is all a political game, which makes it frustrating to be criticized for playing it. These are the "rules" which the opposition has made. If they want everyone to get along, then they should accept the results of last year's election and let's get on with the work of running the country. As long as they are going to be the opposition party, I'll treat them as the opposition.

Keep in mind that Congress and the SCOTUS job description is to be a check on Executive Branch. So President Trump can try to go the "Emperors" route, or he can negotiate (a skill he says he excels in but cannot seem to demonstrate).

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn

12087 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the single largest contributor to the President not getting his agenda passed is the Congress not having the balls to pass anything. They moaned and complained about Obama Care and how if only they had a majority they would repeal and replace. Yet when it came time, the same Reps that voted for it when the Democrats had the majority (and knew it wouldn't pass) now wont vote for repeal and replace. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with tax cuts. The majority needs to get out there with the truth. You can say tax cuts for the rich if you want but at the end of the day, if 50% don't pay any taxes at all or very minimal taxes, then guess who is paying all the taxes? If that's the case, then any tax cuts go to the 50% paying taxes or its just welfare.

Then there is the Fake news being put out there by what most consider to be actual news. You know like CNN or MSN. But also the news on FB and other social media sites that isn't news that people eat up like its the best candy ever. No matter what side of the aisle you are on, if you watch the news feed coming on social media and actually check the facts you find that 60% or more of the news feed is incorrect in some manner and blatantly incorrect for most. But people love that crap and they read it and send it out... "AHA I got ya, look at this!!!" But if you take a minute and really do any research you will find that its mostly BS. Oh and point out the facts and watch people go banana's!!

WTH has this country come to? There seems to be no rational discourse anymore.

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Zarathustra
Be True

13978 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Reps should own tax cuts and go ahead and admit that rich people are going to benefit. As the saying goes, I never got a job from a poor man. Rich people have to get tax cuts to spur the economy. And the way taxes are structured, they'll get a tax cut even if you only give a tax cut to those making $50,000 and less. As you go up in the brackets, everyone is taxed on the first 50K or 100K or whatever at the same rate, and then they have another rate on the additional money as they earn more beyond that. So it's impossible to give a tax cut to the middle class and not give one to the rich. I wish Reps wouldn't buy into the Dem assumption that everyone is too stupid to be educated on the facts.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

6918 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the Dems convince the Reps of that?
Zarathustra
Be True

13978 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist and Faith wrote:
How did the Dems convince the Reps of that?
By winning the PR battle with the "tax cuts for the rich" narrative. Dems are dishonest about tax cuts. They win politically with that dishonest rhetoric. And Reps cede the battle instead of educating Americans and talking to them like adults.

All Dems have is emotion and class warfare. This could be countered with a rational argument. But it requires that people are actually listening with an open mind. I think that Reps have given up on people listening with an open mind and being rational. It's hard to blame Reps for giving up on this hope, given how easily people are misled by sensational bullshit fake news. But I think it's a mistake nonetheless to give up on reason.

Tax cuts fuel economic growth. That's a fact. It has done so every time we've had tax cuts. But the Dems convince people that taking rich people's money is better than having economic growth. They pit us against each other with an us-vs-them mentality. Class warfare. But we're all in this boat together. We are not going to see our fortunes get better if we insist that no rich person benefits in the process.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

6918 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be better for everyone if the Reps just go ahead and do it anyway (which I guess they could since they have a majority in both houses)? I'm thinking Dems people would yell about it. But so what? Hell, they had huge marches when Trump won the election. It didn't change the election results. So let them protest tax cuts. Meanwhile, the economy improves. The Rep voters who voted the houses to the current Rep majorities will do so again, joined by the Dem voters smart and open minded enough to see the good that was accomplished.
Zarathustra
Be True

13978 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Reps should stop worrying about what people think of them. Some do. The Tea Party Reps in the House and the Libertarian/mavericks in the Senate are true to their values. However, they can't just pass whatever they want. Their majority is very slim in the Senate--especially with Rand Paul out of commission. They have to use special procedural "tricks" to avoid a filibuster.

For the most part, the establishment Reps might as well not be Reps. They are basically Dems who espouse conservatism but don't actually vote that way. That's why we had a Tea Party revolution and Trump. People on both sides are getting sick of the status quo.

This is why I thought there might be more common ground for people to rally around Trump. Trump is the least Republican Rep that we've ever elected. But the Dems have painted him as a racist, fascist, moron. So they've undermined the possibility that the nation can come together.

DoctorGamgee
Sandgorgon in training...

Male

7913 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Glimmermere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soullbiter, you ask, "WTH has this country come to? There seems to be no rational discourse anymore." Mostly, it is because Rational Thought has been overrun with Emotional Rhetoric. Rational Thought usually takes longer than our Sound-bite Airwaves make time for.

I like what Thomas Sowell says about the problem with confusing Tax Cuts and Tax Revenue:
Quote:
Before we turn to the question of "the rich," let's first understand the implications of higher income tax revenues after income tax rates were cut during the Reagan administration.

That should have put an end to the talk about how lower tax rates reduce government revenues and therefore tax cuts need to be "paid for" or else there will be rising deficits. There were in fact rising deficits in the 1980s, but that was due to spending that outran even the rising tax revenues.

Congress does the spending, and there is no amount of money that Congress cannot outspend.

...As a source more congenial to some, a front-page story in the New York Times on July 9, 2006 -- during the Bush 43 administration -- reported, "An unexpectedly steep rise in tax revenues from corporations and the wealthy is driving down the projected budget deficit this year."

So even the Liberal press has acknowledged that tax rates and tax revenues are not the same, but still, it doesn't matter. It is what you believe and your feelings that make it untrue.
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

58170 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never bring this up enough, but you will never hear anyone on the Left, whether Democrat, progressive, socialist, or outright communist, give you a number or a rate that constitutes the rich paying "their fair share". They cannot quantify what "fair" is; or, rather, they choose not to--if they commit to a number then they can't change the number later even if they change their minds and want to increase it.

If you really wanted to stimulate the economy then you would take however much money the wealthy people would realize in tax cuts and give it directly to the poorer folks. They will immediately turn around and spend that money (usually in local businesses) so that instead of having the money invested, sitting in some account somewhere while it slowly, eventually, has a positive economic impact on the general economy that money would have instant positive effects as it changes hands several times before winding up in the hand of the wealthy investors. I call this "bubble up" but all the politicians are too chickenshit to try it out even though it would work much better than another try at "trickle down". Trickling down is how you make a cave--it takes millions of years--but bubbling up is how you make coffee--you get a satisfying cup of dark roast right away.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Zarathustra
Be True

13978 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
If you really wanted to stimulate the economy then you would take however much money the wealthy people would realize in tax cuts and give it directly to the poorer folks. They will immediately turn around and spend that money (usually in local businesses) so that instead of having the money invested, sitting in some account somewhere while it slowly, eventually, has a positive economic impact on the general economy that money would have instant positive effects as it changes hands several times before winding up in the hand of the wealthy investors.
You don't think wealthy people would spend that money? They like buying things. Someone has to build or supply the goods/services they buy. Those people have jobs because of this spending.

Or rich people will invest it. But investing doesn't mean sitting in an account somewhere. Maybe they invest in the stock market. When you buy stock in a company, that gives the company money to expand (i.e. more jobs) or upgrade their equipment (i.e. more jobs for those how sell or make the equipment). But rich people also invest directly in businesses, which then hire people.

The economy is built by rich people. It doesn't matter how much money you give poor people, without the investment and production of rich people, there would be nothing for them to buy. It doesn't matter how much demand increases ... if rich people don't have the money to take advantage of this increased demand (e.g. by increasing production or hiring more people), then increased demand will simply drive up prices.

It has to start at the top. I know people hate to admit it, but that's the way it has always been. There wasn't a demand for cars prior to their invention, development and manufacture. Someone (like Ford) had to build them first, and then just hope the demand would be there. Ditto for computers or TVs or anything else. Investment is always a risk. But nothing happens without it.

Giving money to poor people is a horrible way to stimulate the economy. You need to make them productive, not simply given them other people's productivity.

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn

12087 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems Orrin Hatch had enough and went off on the Dems who kept saying Tax cuts for the rich

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/senate-gop-tax-reform-shouting-match-sherrod-brown-orrin-hatch/

Quote:
When the Republicans are in power, the first thing they want to do is give tax cuts to the rich. That's just whats its in their DNA Brown said.

Browns attack on the new Republican tax plan got under the skin of chairman Hatch.

Ive been here working my whole stinking career for people who dont have a chance. And I really resent anybody saying that Im just doing this for the rich. Give me a break, Hatch said. I think you guys overplay that all the time and it gets old. And frankly you ought to quit it.

Mr. Chairman, the public believes it, Brown said.

Im not through. I get kind of sick and tired of it, Hatch said.
What you said was not right! That's all I'm saying, Hatch said. Now I come from the lower middle class originally. We didn't have anything. So don't spew that stuff on me. I get a little tired of that crap I like you personally very much. But Im telling you this bullcrap that you guys throw out here really gets old after a while. And then to do it right at the end of this is just not right.

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Skyweir
Lord of Light

1952 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist and Faith wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:
Tell that to the party that's trying to take down the sitting President.
I just did.

Completely agree with the points that you have raised F&F!
And LOL 😂 yes.. you did 😏

I get KW's exhaustion! Totally! It is just so tiresome 😞

I was watching John Oliver's Last Week Tonight .. hahaha and he raised something that I've seen time and time again .. It's comprised of a number of observable tactics but I thought this one is spot on. My words not his ..

The deflection: Employed to avoid answering a significant question buffer with an accusation against someone else. A previous president, leader or other Joe Blow, it matters not.

The deflecting accusation/question doesn't alter the original question/concern. It's simply changes the subject .. in order to avoid addressing the principal question. It Adds nothing, does not move the exploration forward, thereby achieves no resolution, no answer.

I see it used time and time again. Then another tactic is claiming truth is counterfeit. Fake news. No matter how much evidence there is to the contrary .. claim it's false.

Anyhoo.. who really cares? What is truth? How important is truth, fairness, equality, reasonableness, accountability? It's all too hard .. meh!

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Immanentizing The Eschaton

16974 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no truth. There's only what any given person believes. Very Happy

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

1952 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z economies are not built and grown by "rich people". A person can be filthy rich and not ever contribute to the economic growth of a country.

Economies are built and grown through businesses of all sizes and all sectors, primary, industrial/manufacturing and tertiary. Those that work in these sectors contribute more to a national wealth than a an individual with wealth.

Of course, problematic for any country is big corporations and let's say, " the wealthy" that employ tax avoidance strategies, they rort a system and undermine the national economy.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Skyweir
Lord of Light

1952 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no truth. There's only what any given person believes. Very Happy

--A

That is an interesting and to some degree accurate statement. And yet it seems to me, flawed. A truth is cannot be a subjective belief, in fact subjectivity and individual belief is the very antithesis to a fact, scientific or otherwise.

A subjective belief would need to be corroborated, and evidence found to prove the belief as truth. But imho.

But that takes effort, and rational minds, open to having their views challenged and able to consider fairly opposing views.

It may also require a person to attempt to see positive in events or others that they'd prefer not to. It's quite a perplexing journey, a journey of discovery.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: