Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMOHD Chapter 7: The Dungeons of Orison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Group Readings -> Casting the Augury
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duchess of malfi
Mother of Dragons, Slayer of Lies

Female

9156 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck1 Foul Duck1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: TMOHD Chapter 7: The Dungeons of Orison Reply with quote

When we rejoin Lady Terisa, she had just survived an assassination attempt with the help of Adept Havelock, who had blinded her attacker with a bright light, causing him to flee. Havelock himself vanishes, and following an impulse, Terisa hides all evidence of him and the secret door in the back of her wardrobe.

Though she is so afraid that she wishes to flee herself, Terisa follows the instructions of the guards and calls for help. More guards eventually arrive, followed by a short, intense, commanding man named Castellan Lebbick. Lebbick seems to know that Terisa is holding something back from him, and just as terisa is about to start babbling from panic, another guard comes, who tells Lebbick that the King has called off the search for terisa'a attacker, and that the King wants Terisa left alone. This infuriates the already angry Lebbick further.
Quote:
"My lady be warned," he said. "I'm the Castellan of Orison. I'm responsible for many things, but above all else for the King's safety. He suffers from an unnatural faith in his own immortality. I'm not similarly afflicted." His jaws chewed the words like gristle. "I'll obey him as much as I can. Then I'll take matters into my own hands." Turning on his heel, he stamped away.

That night Terisa spends much time in thought.
Quote:
...she felt an odd upswelling of joy. Apparently, Geraden had brought her to a place where she mattered. the fact that she was here made a difference. Castellan Lebbick took her seriously enough to get angry at her. Master Eremis had looked at her. It was even conceivable that he thought she was lovely. That had never happened to her before.

In the morning, Terisa finally looked outside her window, and found herself in a tower room. Saddith brought her some breakfast and the news that she had not been there the previous night because she had been in the bed of a Master. She then helps Terisa dress in a lovely gown. And then a knock on the door proves to be Geraden, who is rendered speechless for a bit at the sight of terisa in her finery. Wink

Terisa decides to trust Geraden and tells him of what actually occurrred the previous night, including Havelock's part in the events, and shows him the door in the back of the wardrobe. the two talk for a time, then he offers to take her to visit the old dungeons, where the Congery now has its rooms. the Masters are having a meeting, so he feels he can safely show her about without their getting caught. he says that it might also be the only chance he might ever have to send her home, as he feels that the Masters feel that she's too important to allow her to leave.
So off to the dungeons they go. he shows her a room where apprentices are making mirrors, then takes her to rooms where mirrors are stored. One mirror he shows her is a Glass that only shows falling rain, which can be used to water crops in a drought. Another showed a sea scape, and yet another a monster.

Geraden finds the mirrors that show the Champion, and offers to take Terisa home. he offers to go first, to make sure that everything is safe, and ends up in the world of the Champion rather tha nterisa's apartment. he is shot at, and Terisa jerks him back. Then she insists on trying, but she ends up neither in her apartment nor the Champion's world -- she ends up in a lovely place, all grassy and filled with wildflowers. When she returns, the glass still shows the Champion. But when she looks at a nearby glass, the picture has shifted to an autumn scene of the place she had just visited, a place that is near Geraden's boyhood home.

Geraden takes this all to mean that she is an Imager of great power. Terisa takes it all to mean that she is a mere Image and doesn't exist.
Quote:
When she realized tha tshe was also an Image that didn't exist, she nearly collapsed to her knees again.

danlo
Lord of Neverness

2113 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2005 Watcher of the Year1 Sandgorgon1 Skyweir

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last bit is an amazing thesis! But what does it all mean Mr. Wizard? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Skyweir
Lord of Light

1947 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really great job duchess!! .. its great someone else here is willing to take up some slack!!

thats a great chapter .. and a great summation of events ..

i will return to add some of my thoughts .. but not tonight .. Wink Wink

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
duchess of malfi
Mother of Dragons, Slayer of Lies

Female

9156 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck1 Foul Duck1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope so, it's been a long time since I read Mordant and I'm a bit confused at what happens at the end of this chapter. Why is not the mirror that Terisa tries to go through but a completly different one that shifts its focus? And why is one of the places in spring and the other autumn? Question Question
Or would it be too spoilery for me to know the answers right now?

Ryzel
Mage

Male

119 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are seeing the random interplay of subconscious desires and the abilities of both Terisa and Geraden at work here.
MsMary
The Cheat

FemaleRanyhyn

33693 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Andelain1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers to those questions come later in the book...Smile

~MsMary~
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Ryzel
Mage

Male

119 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to point them out at that time then please.
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

2426 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten that this is the chapter that introduces Lebbick. He seems about to snap at any moment, he comes across as wound SO tightly! Crazy
danlo
Lord of Neverness

2113 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2005 Watcher of the Year1 Sandgorgon1 Skyweir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Grin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

2426 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DANLO! Always pleasant to see a post from you! 7-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Group Readings -> Casting the Augury All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: