Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

President Trump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarathustra
Be True

14968 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walmart raises its minimum wage 52% higher than the federal minimum wage, because of the Trump tax cuts.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Immanentizing The Eschaton

17839 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought raising the minimum wage was bad? Wink

(Seriously though, good outcome.)

--A

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

1636 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bad.. it just an excuse to raise prices.
Zarathustra
Be True

14968 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forcing a company to raise minimum wage is bad. Allowing the free market to raise wages is good. The former hurts those it tries to help by reducing the number of entry level jobs. The latter happens when companies can afford it and when the job market is tightening up, forcing companies to compete for employees.

Meanwhile, the media, Dems, and other world leaders are shocked to hear that there are 'shithole' countries in the world. Oh, you mean all those crime-ridden, poverty stricken, violent and corrupt countries where so many people are trying to flee? I suppose they're liberal utopias, or something? What's wrong with calling them what they are? Their own people don't even want to live there.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

7386 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, they are also closing down many Sam's Clubs.
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

24378 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found something I agree with President Trump on;

Haiti, Somolia, Sudan, Eritrea, Uganda, Angola, etc. are Shit Holes

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

249 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not you agree with that (or even if there is some justification for feeling that way), it still is undiplomatic and unseemly for our elected officials to be quoted expressing such sentiments. One does not Make America Great Again by denigrating other nations.

Frank assessments delivered honestly and with accurate nuance are one thing. Vulgar and pejorative language are rather different.

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
~ Rainier Maria Rilke
peter
the spider from Mars

21985 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! Well said Savor Dam.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Zarathustra
Be True

14968 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a public comment or a formal act of diplomacy. It was said behind closed doors. It only became public because his political opponents wanted to embarrass and damage him. So Dems chose to reveal something private that would insult other countries, for purely selfish, partisan reasons. They obviously didn't care whether other countries were insulted. In fact, they were counting on it, because their outrage works to the Dems' advantage. They (and the media) are reveling in the outrage and insult. They love it.

If they actually cared about our relationship with other countries, they wouldn't have stirred the pot. They don't mind harming our relationships with foreign countries as long as it makes Trump look bad and helps them win votes. That's merely another casualty in their quest for power.

Quote:
One does not Make America Great Again by denigrating other nations.
We also don't make it great by flooding it with people from 3rd world countries.

Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16562 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when snowflakes wear pussy hats, dress as vaginas, shout profanities at the White House, refer to the POTUS as "Drumph", "45", or some other nitwittery, silence dissenting speech, riot, and actively try to overthrow the duly elected government of this country, that's patriotic resistance, but when the POTUS makes a private statement of fact - that shithole countries are shitholes - that's reprehensible?

Bring on the meteor strike that finishes off the human race.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn

12245 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
So when snowflakes wear pussy hats, dress as vaginas, shout profanities at the White House, refer to the POTUS as "Drumph", "45", or some other nitwittery, silence dissenting speech, riot, and actively try to overthrow the duly elected government of this country, that's patriotic resistance, but when the POTUS makes a private statement of fact - that shithole countries are shitholes - that's reprehensible?

Bring on the meteor strike that finishes off the human race.

Could not agree more. What has this country come to? Has the experiment about run its course?

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

1636 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:

Could not agree more. What has this country come to? Has the experiment about run its course?

In the past 25 to 30 years I have noticed that as a whole we have become
the people who we had certain misconceptions about from the early 20th century.
Life is cheap.
No respect for others people within our own country.
have we become the "Shithole" that Trump has referredto?

Only the future will tell.

On a side note I think the Aussies and Zealanders have more of
the "old American spirit" than the people in the US.

BTW.. What do the Aussies call the people from New Zealand?
(The proper name plz Laughing )
Skyweir
Lord of Light

3667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwis... 😏

Because the kiwi bird is their national emblem

Not sure what the snowflakes dressing up as vaginas comment was about . But yeah I guess words mean something .. Noam Chomsky would probably effectively unpack that narrative.

Yes its a sad fact that when youre an important public figure people will criticise you for all manner of reasons. Of course Trump makes himself an easy target.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

17839 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I've made clear I'm not a fan of Trump, but had to post this opinion piece (by an actual African) here:

Quote:
Trump's shitholes and the semantics of politics

President Donald Trump is at it again, this time causing a global storm by referring to Haiti and African countries as "shithole countries" that do not produce desirable immigrants for the United States (US).

America's self-proclaimed "stable genius" has broken the diplomatic etiquette by calling it as it is. Poor African countries are usually politely referred to as "developing nations".

Some of those countries have eventually made it from being classified as developing nations to a more prestigious class of the "emerging markets". This is because of their fairly decent mixed economies and a just-better-than-worst measure of economic growth.

If a country handles its economy fairly well by putting in place a few austerity measures to show that the leaders understand that inflation is not a soccer team then that country gets bumped up to the emerging market category.

Those countries are often, however, functionally corrupt and have a social backlog that causes occasional social unrest and so forth.

Trump is not known for his politeness. He is rude and at times naively honest, as he has shown with his recent remark.

Some years back before he could even dream of running the US, African countries and some of their South American counterparts were referred to as "third world countries", while advanced countries such and the US and other western European nations were referred to as "first world countries", or normal countries for that matter.

The term "third world" smacked of a superiority complex and imperialism. The use of the phrase was discontinued because it became generally accepted among development scholars that colonialism and slavery enriched western countries at the expense of those countries on Trump's shithole list.

Academics became more and more polite and desisted from using historically unpalatable classifications such as "third world".

A great deal of improvement has happened at semantic level with a shift from using disparaging terms to refer to post-colonial nations, while the actual problem of their poor state of development largely remains the same.

By referring to those countries in the manner he did, Trump only blathered out what most people see but find rude to say.

Even among African nations there are those who consider others to be more inferior. Remember what President Jacob Zuma said about Malawi back in 2013? Responding to people's refusal to pay for the use of Gauteng highways, Zuma said: "We can't think like Africans in Africa, generally. We are in Johannesburg. This is Johannesburg. It is not some national road in Malawi." Zuma was actually saying that South Africa is not a shithole country like Malawi.

The problem with being polite is that you have to work hard at your use of language because the whole idea is to find a way to avoid the elephant in the room. Inventing meaningless phrases to refer to poverty and hopelessness is a disservice to those who live under poverty and sheer destitution.

African countries really get worked up when referred to in a negative manner, even if the classifications are not always far from the truth. In my favourite politics satire TV show Yes Minister, the minister (Sir Humphrey) is warned not to refer to an African country as a "Tin Pot Little African Country" (TPLAC) because the country has oil and its leaders will be upset by the use of such a term. The minister is rather urged to use the polite term "less developed country" (LCD).

In all this, I don't think we should have sleepless nights because of Trump's statement. He is a moron, as his secretary of state Rex Tillerson has rightfully concluded. This time his stupidity has offended African countries. The African Union (AU) is demanding an apology.

I wonder when last did an African leader meaningfully apologise to the people after wrongdoing.

It's a shithole world of hypocrisy and political posturing by morons and super morons.

- Ralph Mathekga is a Fellow at the SARChI Chair: African Diplomacy and Foreign Policy at the University of Johannesburg and author of When Zuma Goes.

Also think I should mention that I don't think he's really a racist. He's too egotistical for that. He's a classist, sure, but at his level of egotism, everybody "below" you is lesser, it doesn't mater what colour their skin is. (Unless you want their vote obviously. Very Happy )

Zarathustra wrote:
Quote:
We also don't make it great by flooding it with people from 3rd world countries.

Uh, isn't that how you got it great in the first place? Poor immigrants coming in, working all the hours that god gave, etc. etc?

--A

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

7386 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
Quote:

Uh, isn't that how you got it great in the first place? Poor immigrants coming in, working all the hours that god gave, etc. etc?
It's those filthy Irish! They came here in droves, and they...

*checks DNA results again*

Carry on!
Zarathustra
Be True

14968 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

America wasn't a colony of Africa. It was an English colony, like so many others in the world. England wasn't a third world country, obviously. Many of the refugees that we give shelter don't share our values and have trouble assimilating.

I just dont' think there's anything wrong with being selective with our immigration policy. Choose people who have something to offer our society, rather than the other way around.

Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16562 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so much for the false narrative that Trump's an unstable lunatic that's going to kick off WWIII. The state of Hawaii announced that there were missiles flying, and unstable Trump utterly failed to start a nuclear war.

People must be so disappointed.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
Skyweir
Lord of Light

3667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLMAO ... so how does that make Trump not an unstable lunatic

How many minutes after the cocked up misinfomation release was he advised of the cock up.

Hahaha .. interesting comment from Mathekga. Definitely some home truths there, sadly.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

17839 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
Hahaha .. interesting comment from Mathekga. Definitely some home truths there, sadly.

Yeah, I think so too. As he points out, most people are just too polite to say that stuff straight out.

Zarathustra wrote:
America wasn't a colony of Africa. It was an English colony, like so many others in the world. England wasn't a third world country, obviously. Many of the refugees that we give shelter don't share our values and have trouble assimilating.

I just dont' think there's anything wrong with being selective with our immigration policy. Choose people who have something to offer our society, rather than the other way around.

England wasn't a "3rd world" country, but the people they were sending over were not exactly their "1st world" citizens, now were they? They were the poor, the criminal, the desperate, etc. And they created the values you're so keen on.

I think that a lot of the immigrants you're being selective about do have the potential to offer something to your society if you give them the chance. Maybe not all of them, but a lot. After all, most of them are there looking to create better lives for their families.

--A

Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16562 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.....Dow's up 5,000 points, NK's neutered, ISIS is gone, we're at statistical full employment, and we've got the strongest Judicial Branch we've had in decades. Pretty sure that no lunatic could have accomplished those things, in spite of what the lapdog press reports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: