Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stranger Things
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cagliostro
Bandwagon Puppet

MaleRanyhyn

4368 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Covenant's Novels3 Tranquil Hegemony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Episode 3 last night, and yes, Hashi, I see what you mean. Previous to that, I was thinking "well, more cursing than in the previous season, but I try not to be too much of a hypocrite toward that, so I'm ok. But yeah, the end of episode three where Spoiler:
Will stands up to the beasty and it doesn't appear to go the way he thought it would
seems like something I should wait on.

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Zarathustra
Be True

19844 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This season was very disappointing. If you've seen the first season, you have no reason to watch this inferior retread of the same material. Nothing new was revealed. They had to bring in new characters to make what everyone else already knew "new." This show was already a derivative nostalgia tour through familiar genre tropes. Now it's a derivative nostalgia tour through its own first season.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Cagliostro
Bandwagon Puppet

MaleRanyhyn

4368 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. It definitely wasn't as scary as the first season, but I like the characters quite a bit and they definitely did them justice in the new season, for the most part. And I liked the new characters. Yes, sometimes it seemed things happened for the convenience of the plot or to include a trope, but I really thought it was much more fun than the first season, and the dialogue and character development for the most part were better. I would say it would have been nice to have a little more info about the Upside Down, more insight into Max and her family, and less "justice For Barb" pandering. But I found it even more enjoyable than the first season.
It reminds me of the Alien debate: which is better - Alien or Aliens. My argument for these movies and Stranger Things seasons are that the first one is scarier and surprising, while the second is more fun to watch and action packed.

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

43183 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the family organized enough to finish all 9 episodes together. I really liked the second season. It feels like a bridge season but I enjoyed it thoroughly anyway. I particularly enjoyed that they emphasized some different characters this year. It was like they were intentionally sharing the spotlight ... They ARE an ensemble in the truest sense. I didn't get the point of Max's brother, but as I said, bridge season. (Now he's a nod to King!) Clearly Dr Mad About You is going to be back, too. And Eight. And Mom. Overall they expanded the universe quite a bit, and every character developed. And they played some good music. I feel like the final ending is going to be apocalyptic and way bigger than the town.

Oh --- it got a little meta when Lucas explains the story to Max and she says, that's not a very original sorry, kinda derivative. Tongue firmly stuck out!!!
Zarathustra
Be True

19844 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cag wrote:
I like the characters quite a bit and they definitely did them justice in the new season, for the most part. And I liked the new characters.
I felt they were consistent with the established characters, but only because they repeated their stories. Will was once again the "Jeremiah" of this tale: a helpless son who is taken from mother by a sinister force giving him access to the Upsidedown. Mom even repeats the whole Christmas lights scene by making the crayon map in her home. The same basic dilemma defines mom and son, except this time it's rushed and there's very little mystery to it for the audience or the characters themselves.

Which brings us to the new characters. I think they brought them in just to have people for whom these events can appear mysterious, so at least someone in the story has a reason to be surprised when confronted with the Upsidedown phenomena, instead of just matter-of-fact about facing something they've already faced last season. Without the new characters, there is no one to give the audience the "holy shit" perspective. But what did they contribute to the story? One pointlessly died. One is a generic asshole (to take the place of the long-haired jerk boyfriend from last season, since he's a good guy now), and Max earns her place in the group by being pretty.

But that's just my opinion. Glad you guys enjoyed it.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

65197 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
I didn't get the point of Max's brother

He is in the story primarily to be a human antagonist to both Steve and The Party (he really doesn't like Lucas, probably because Lucas is black).

I disagree about Max--she doesn't finally make it into the Party because of her looks but because she fits in with them so well. As far as Will being the lost/attacked person again...well, none of the others have any connection to the Upside Down and he actually brought some of it back with him. Besides, he is the mage of the party so weird things are supposed to happen to him/around him more often than for the others.

More generic questions, though, and I don't know who has watched it so I will spoiler this section.

Spoiler:
Brenner can't really be alive, can he? I thought the Demogorgon got him.

How long has the Mind Flayer been present in the Upside Down? Based on the prevalence of all the vines there it has probably been growing for millennia. Is it native to the Upside Down, did it find its way there by accident, or was it sent there on purpose by someone else?

Now that the government knows that the Upside Down exists and can be reached, will they try to open another gate in an attempt to weaponize it? What if they already opened another gate?

Gates normally open both ways--is it somehow possible the Mind Flayer to open a gate from its side?

What happens when other MKULTRA successes become weaponized and/or decide to cooperate fully with Brenner/the government? What if Brenner decides to use them for his own purposes? (That last question comes directly from Firestarter--John Rainbird was working for the government, yes, but he clearly had his own agenda.)

What happened to the pieces of the Mind Flayer which left Will? Did they go back through the gate or are they still here?

Is it still possible to capture flashes of the Upside Down on video now that the gate is closed? It is still there, of course.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Cagliostro
Bandwagon Puppet

MaleRanyhyn

4368 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll field the first question:

Spoiler:
I never thought Brenner was gone in the first place, and fully expected his character to return this season. No body, no death. The only major exception to that rule that I have seen has been Sirius Black in the Harry Potter series. It was definitely the author saying that he is definitely not coming back that made me realize it was for real.
After all, Eleven disappeared too, and she was back this season.

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
MsMary
The Cheat

FemaleRanyhyn

34045 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Andelain1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binge-watched this over the weekend. I thought it was great, a bit creepier and more "yuck" factor than season 1, if you know what I mean. Wink

I can't get over the sliminess of the some of the stuff. Razz

Spoiler:
I think it was obvious that Eleven was coming back, from the hint given at the end of season 1, when Hopper left the Eggos in that box.

Not as convinced the Brenner is still alive, though it's certainly possible.

I, too, am curious about the other children who are experimented on.

Some good questions in your spoilered comments upthread, Hashi.

Will be interesting to see where it goes. If it continues.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Skyweir
Lord of Light

19407 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my kids were super excited and they loved it .. and by kids, there adults .. and I was .. meh .. it's alright 🤷‍♀️

It wasn't the worst show I've ever seen .. but not the best either .. maybe it's an age thing 🤷‍♀️

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

65197 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsMary wrote:

Will be interesting to see where it goes. If it continues.

The Duffer Brothers planned for five seasons as the maximum length of the show, clearly taking their cue from Babylon 5. That is long enough to have a great run but short enough so that you don't paint yourself into any corners plot-wise. It is always painful to see shows having to retcon themselves (I'm looking at *you*, Star Trek). If each season is a calendar year apart that will take the Party up to 1987, at which point they should be juniors in high school (for reference, the main characters are the same age I am but one school grade behind me).

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14865 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now seen Season 1, which I thought was good, but I have to say a bit overrrated. Definitely felt like It and Goonies, as someone mentioned above. And, I agree that the show definitely nails the 80s.

Season 2, I'm not enjoying. I don't really like El out on her own, and I don't really like the whole Aliens derivative feel.
Lord of Light

19407 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlbpharmd wrote:
I've now seen Season 1, which I thought was good, but I have to say a bit overrrated. Definitely felt like It and Goonies, as someone mentioned above. And, I agree that the show definitely nails the 80s.

Season 2, I'm not enjoying. I don't really like El out on her own, and I don't really like the whole Aliens derivative feel.

Yep I see the Goonies connection! and yeah agreed

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MsMary
The Cheat

FemaleRanyhyn

34045 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw there's a sort of Stranger Things behind the scenes episode on Netflix. I think it's called Beyond Stranger Things, or something like that. I added it to my queue.

EZBoard Survivor
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

65197 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay, just interviews with the cast, the writers/creators, and one of the main directors.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
MsMary
The Cheat

FemaleRanyhyn

34045 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I'll probably give it a look anyway.

EZBoard Survivor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: