Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

President Trump recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's capital
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyweir
Lord of Light

20355 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Very Happy

WATCH THIS SPACE

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Male

5678 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Trying to play both sides?

--A

Very possibly.

Seems to me that he's screwed the pooch on 500 years of peace in the Holy Land and no matter how he tries to square the circle, there's no way (short of flat-out repentance) of putting the djinni back in the bottle. Years to build and moments to ruin.

As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy than to create.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

20355 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

😔

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wosbald

Male

5678 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Despite threat, Trump budget still funds countries that opposed Jerusalem move

Quote:

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley returns to her seat after speaking to the UN General Assembly, Thursday, December 21, 2017, at United Nations headquarters. (AP/Mark Lennihan)

President abandons warning he would stop aiding those who voted to condemn recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital; budget calls moving embassy a high priority

WASHINGTON - After repeatedly threatening to cut aid to countries that voted against the United States over its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital, US President Donald Trump left foreign assistance to them untouched in his 2019 budget proposal published on Monday.

Despite the threats, 128 countries voted for the December resolution, and aid to all those countries was unaffected in the $4.4 trillion budget plan that envisions steep cuts to America's social safety net but mounting spending on the military.

"If you look at our budget, it is focused on where we think the most appropriate assistance level should be based on where our security needs are," said Hari Sastry, director of the Office of US Foreign Assistance Resources.

When asked whether any specific assistance was reduced based on December's UN vote, Sastry said, "There's nothing specific just tied to that because that is only one factor."
The budget also notes that money will need to be allocated for moving the embassy to Jerusalem, which it calls a high priority.

"The construction of a U.S. Embassy facility in Jerusalem will be among the Department's highest priority for capital security investments in FY 2018 and FY 2019," the document says.

[…]

Skyweir
Lord of Light

20355 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... interesting.

Someone has worked hard to convince the Trump admin that continued investment is not only necessary but in US interests.

The fact that the embassy building is now budgeted for means it was likely a hard won trade off.

Interesting times ahead .. got to say though, regrettably continued investment wont mitigate this move.

Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

65755 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POTUS budget submission is a requirement of the job only; it doesn't actually mean anything. Congress--specifically, the House of Representatives--sets the actual budget. Remember--there were some years when Obama didn't submit a budget at all.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Wosbald

Male

5678 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Religion must rise above politics in Jerusalem, says Father Nicodemus

Quote:

Father Nicodemus of the Catholic Dormition Abbey in Jerusalem has told DW how he feels religion shouldn't be mixed with political strife. He also shared his thoughts on bringing peace to the city.

It is a monastery that even German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel raves about. "I am pleased that Dormition Abbey's urgently needed renovations have been incorporated into the coalition agreement," he recently told DW. "The Abbey in Jerusalem is close to my heart, and the study program there is an outstanding example of understanding between denominations and religions in a truly difficult environment." Father Nicodemus Schnabel is the prior of the German-speaking Benedictine Abbey. Germany's Federal Foreign Office is involved in his project, Peace Responsibility of Religions.

[…]

DW: Ten weeks ago, US President Donald Trump sparked global controversy, and inflamed tension in the Middle East, with his announcement he would move his country's embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. How has this changed things between the religious representatives in Jerusalem?

Nicodemus Schnabel: Here too, it's important to make a clear distinction between religion and politics. Ultimately, a politician presented his reasoning here, using a religious line of argument. But, and this is extremely interesting, this has challenged many monotheistic religious representatives to say again: "No, politics doesn't work like this. You can't just say: Boom, that's what the Bible says, that's how we do it."

Trump has challenged civil society, to which religions belong, to take a clear position again. And something really exciting happened, which hasn't happened so often. The leaders of the 13 long-established Christian churches in the Holy Land, representing 50 denominations, which together serve the 2 percent Christian minority in the country, came together to write an ecumenical letter to Trump. And they asked the fundamental question: What is going to help this city achieve peace, reconciliation, dialogue and justice?

How do you see a way forward?

There are no easy answers for Jerusalem. The Holy See, that is, the Catholic Church, has for decades held onto what I believe to be a visionary solution. I am a great supporter of this approach, which says that Jerusalem is too important to reduce the questions regarding the city's future in a narrow-minded nationalistic manner. The old town is really a "corpus separatum," a separate area that should be internationalized, and whose ownership cannot be narrowed down to a purely nationalistic issue.

This is the magic of this city with its incredibly long history, which is sacred to three great world religions. How boring would Jerusalem be if it were purely Jewish, purely Muslim, purely Christian. The magic of the city would be gone.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

20355 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read .. cheers Wos

Wosbald

Male

5678 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Church leaders in Jerusalem say no to the taxation of Church properties

Quote:

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem (AFP or licensors)

The Church leaders in Jerusalem have made a formal request to municipality of Jerusalem to withdraw their statement of imposing municipal taxes on Church properties.

A statement released on Wednesday by the Patriarchs and Heads of Churches in Jerusalem states that the intention to impose municipal tax on Churches contradicts the historical position between Churches and civil authorities over the centuries. It further states that the civil authorities have always recognized and respected the great contribution of the Christian Churches, which invest billions in building schools, hospitals, and homes, many for the elderly and disadvantaged, in the Holy Land.

The statement declares that Imposing taxes on Churches both undermines the sacred character of Jerusalem, and jeopardises the Church's ability to conduct its ministry in that land on behalf of its communities and the world-wide Church.

The Patriarchs and Heads of Churches have made a formal request to the Municipality to retract their statement and ensure that the status quo which was sanctioned by the sacred history is maintained, and the character of the Holy City of Jerusalem is not violated. The declaration is signed by thirteen Heads of Churches and Christian communities present in Jerusalem.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

23797 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Churches should pay tax. Very Happy

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

20355 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed 🙄

SoulBiter
State of Confusion

Ranyhyn

14855 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when Churches are taxed, you will see Church leaders pushing their political views from the pulpit. I know it happens to a small.degree today but nothing on the scale you would see once there is no worry of losing non-profit status.

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

3163 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with SB.. Once they have to pay taxes as a
business. They will lobby the masses from the old new bully pulpit.
Talk about jihad....
Wosbald

Male

5678 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Churches should pay tax. Very Happy

--A

To whom is one supposed to pay tax in a corpus separatum?

Take care in approaching that question, lest any pat and perfunctory answer undercut one's own argumentation for peace in the Holy Land.

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

65755 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest from the Netanyahu corruption investigation.

Quote:
In Israel, seven members of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's inner circle have been arrested amid a widening series of corruption scandals that threaten to bring down Netanyahu. Among those arrested were Netanyahu's close friend and former communications director, as well as the former director general of the Communications Ministry. Netanyahu's inner circle has been accused of intervening with federal regulators to benefit communications giant Bezeq Group in order to secure more favorable media coverage for Netanyahu and his family. This comes after the Israeli police recommended charging Netanyahu with bribery and fraud over two separate corruption investigations.

This is a good old-fashioned political house-cleaning.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel

23797 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:
And when Churches are taxed, you will see Church leaders pushing their political views from the pulpit. I know it happens to a small.degree today but nothing on the scale you would see once there is no worry of losing non-profit status.

I don't think it happens to a small degree now, I think it happens to a large one. Otherwise why is the "religious right" a thing?

Don't necessarily have to be taxed as a business, but some form of tax seems like it should be fair.

Wosbald wrote:

Not necessarily talking specifically about Jerusalem here, but rather in general. In that specific case maybe to whatever civil body is responsible for infrastructure etc.

--A

Wosbald

Male

5678 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

'I will not shut up,' Haley tells Palestinian negotiator

Quote:

CNN — Pledging she "will not shut up," US ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said Tuesday that the Trump administration will not change its decision to move the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.

But her message at the UN Security Council went unheard by Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas, who opted to leave the chamber prior to Haley's remarks.

Abbas exited the meeting shortly after he addressed the Security Council -- calling out the US for failing to clarify its stance on a two-state solution and keeping the Palestine Liberation Organization on the terror watch list.

"We met with the President of the United States, Mr. Donald Trump, four times in 2017, and we have expressed our absolute readiness to reach a historic peace agreement," Abbas said in a rare appearance before the Security Council.

"Yet, this administration has not clarified its position. Is it for the two-state solution or the one-state solution?" he added.

[…]

Haley also took the opportunity to respond to comments made earlier this month by Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat, who said she should "shut up" with her criticism of Abbas.

"I will decline the advice I was recently given by your top negotiator, Saeb Erekat. I will not shut up. Rather, I will respectfully speak some hard truths," Haley said.

But Abbas -- who left the room after addressing the council -- was not present to hear Haley's comments.

[…]

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

65755 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Abbas has no balls and refuses to listen to a woman. I am not surprised.

The Palestinians don't want peace; instead, they want all of Jerusalem back, or at least what they had pre-1967. Tough shit, Palestinians--you lost, so now you need to figure out how to get over it and move on.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel

23797 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
So Abbas has no balls and refuses to listen to a woman. I am not surprised.

Nothing in that indicated that he left because she was going to address them? Just that he left after making his own address.

--A

Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

26006 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:

I don't think it happens to a small degree now, I think it happens to a large one. Otherwise why is the "religious right" a thing?

Don't necessarily have to be taxed as a business, but some form of tax seems like it should be fair.

Wosbald wrote:

Not necessarily talking specifically about Jerusalem here, but rather in general. In that specific case maybe to whatever civil body is responsible for infrastructure etc.

--A

Christian Right applies primarily to individuals and to organizations that hold socially conservative views and are openly religious.

No church is allowed here to be too openly partisan or they risk thier tax free status. They can advocate for issues (such as abortian, immigration, social programs, etc.) but cannot advocate for individuals or parties.

Funny, I hear Christian Right, Far Right Wing, etc.

Why don't I ever hear about the Christian Left, the Far Left Wing, etc.?

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 7 of 43

Jump to: