Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

President Trump recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's capital
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyweir
Lord of Light

4731 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Very Happy

WATCH THIS SPACE

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wosbald
The Gap Into Spam

Male

3374 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Trying to play both sides?

--A

Very possibly.

Seems to me that he's screwed the pooch on 500 years of peace in the Holy Land and no matter how he tries to square the circle, there's no way (short of flat-out repentance) of putting the djinni back in the bottle. Years to build and moments to ruin.

As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy than to create.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

4731 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

😔

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wosbald
The Gap Into Spam

Male

3374 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Despite threat, Trump budget still funds countries that opposed Jerusalem move

Quote:

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley returns to her seat after speaking to the UN General Assembly, Thursday, December 21, 2017, at United Nations headquarters. (AP/Mark Lennihan)

President abandons warning he would stop aiding those who voted to condemn recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital; budget calls moving embassy a high priority

WASHINGTON - After repeatedly threatening to cut aid to countries that voted against the United States over its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital, US President Donald Trump left foreign assistance to them untouched in his 2019 budget proposal published on Monday.

Despite the threats, 128 countries voted for the December resolution, and aid to all those countries was unaffected in the $4.4 trillion budget plan that envisions steep cuts to America's social safety net but mounting spending on the military.

"If you look at our budget, it is focused on where we think the most appropriate assistance level should be based on where our security needs are," said Hari Sastry, director of the Office of US Foreign Assistance Resources.

When asked whether any specific assistance was reduced based on December's UN vote, Sastry said, "There's nothing specific just tied to that because that is only one factor."
The budget also notes that money will need to be allocated for moving the embassy to Jerusalem, which it calls a high priority.

"The construction of a U.S. Embassy facility in Jerusalem will be among the Department's highest priority for capital security investments in FY 2018 and FY 2019," the document says.

[…]

Skyweir
Lord of Light

4731 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... interesting.

Someone has worked hard to convince the Trump admin that continued investment is not only necessary but in US interests.

The fact that the embassy building is now budgeted for means it was likely a hard won trade off.

Interesting times ahead .. got to say though, regrettably continued investment wont mitigate this move.

Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

59149 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POTUS budget submission is a requirement of the job only; it doesn't actually mean anything. Congress--specifically, the House of Representatives--sets the actual budget. Remember--there were some years when Obama didn't submit a budget at all.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Wosbald
The Gap Into Spam

Male

3374 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Religion must rise above politics in Jerusalem, says Father Nicodemus

Quote:

Father Nicodemus of the Catholic Dormition Abbey in Jerusalem has told DW how he feels religion shouldn't be mixed with political strife. He also shared his thoughts on bringing peace to the city.

It is a monastery that even German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel raves about. "I am pleased that Dormition Abbey's urgently needed renovations have been incorporated into the coalition agreement," he recently told DW. "The Abbey in Jerusalem is close to my heart, and the study program there is an outstanding example of understanding between denominations and religions in a truly difficult environment." Father Nicodemus Schnabel is the prior of the German-speaking Benedictine Abbey. Germany's Federal Foreign Office is involved in his project, Peace Responsibility of Religions.

[…]

DW: Ten weeks ago, US President Donald Trump sparked global controversy, and inflamed tension in the Middle East, with his announcement he would move his country's embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. How has this changed things between the religious representatives in Jerusalem?

Nicodemus Schnabel: Here too, it's important to make a clear distinction between religion and politics. Ultimately, a politician presented his reasoning here, using a religious line of argument. But, and this is extremely interesting, this has challenged many monotheistic religious representatives to say again: "No, politics doesn't work like this. You can't just say: Boom, that's what the Bible says, that's how we do it."

Trump has challenged civil society, to which religions belong, to take a clear position again. And something really exciting happened, which hasn't happened so often. The leaders of the 13 long-established Christian churches in the Holy Land, representing 50 denominations, which together serve the 2 percent Christian minority in the country, came together to write an ecumenical letter to Trump. And they asked the fundamental question: What is going to help this city achieve peace, reconciliation, dialogue and justice?

How do you see a way forward?

There are no easy answers for Jerusalem. The Holy See, that is, the Catholic Church, has for decades held onto what I believe to be a visionary solution. I am a great supporter of this approach, which says that Jerusalem is too important to reduce the questions regarding the city's future in a narrow-minded nationalistic manner. The old town is really a "corpus separatum," a separate area that should be internationalized, and whose ownership cannot be narrowed down to a purely nationalistic issue.

This is the magic of this city with its incredibly long history, which is sacred to three great world religions. How boring would Jerusalem be if it were purely Jewish, purely Muslim, purely Christian. The magic of the city would be gone.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

4731 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read .. cheers Wos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: