Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Shape of Water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter
the spider from Mars

26099 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: The Shape of Water Reply with quote

Off to see this film tonight and just thought I'd post a few preliminary thoughts. I'm a great del Toro fan, Pan's Labyrinth being amongst my favourite films, so TSoW comes with high expectations on my part - often the precursor to disappointment I've found in the past. I saw the trailer some time ago and was drawn in at the time by it, and both the critical reviews and the host of award nominations the film has garnered have added to my anticipation. I was somewhat reminded of the fish-man character from Hell Boy by the poster and I wonder if the character in this film will be a sort of extension of this earlier incarnation in terms of personality and attributes. I wouldn't mind this too much, but I'm really hoping for some new ground to be broken.
I've deliberatly kept away from too much prior research into the film, trusting rather to the director's past form, but have been unable to completely isolate myself from comment upon it, thus I have garnered that there is a romantic element to the film with the mute girl - and possibly even erotic overtones (could be interesting - I'm going to see the film with two women Big Grin ). All in all it should make for an entertaining couple of hours of viewing and I hope for the best!

Very Happy

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

21555 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this last weekend, and I loved it. It's a really beautiful film, right from the opening.

Mod of the General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Forum
peter
the spider from Mars

26099 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. I'm not going to pretend I thought it as good as Pan's Labyrinth but it was fine viewing, beautifully shot and engaging from start to finish. There were some really telling moments, especially when the main baddie wonders why he should be wasting his time with the low end people - the "shit cleaners and piss wipers" as he terms them - that resonate with how our own society views its own lower strata. All in all a worthy bit of cinema that, even if it doesn't clinch 'Best Film' in the forthcoming Academy Awards Ceremony, is certainly deserving of it's place amongst the contenders.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

42646 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DID THE SHAPE OF WATER PLAGIARIZE THE PAUL ZINDEL PLAY LET ME HEAR YOU WHISPER?

Quote:
The two plots:
Let Me Hear You Whisper
Set in the 1960s, the plot follows a lonely, introverted female custodian at a research facility who falls in love with a captured aquatic creature, a dolphin, who talks only to her. When the creature refuses to cooperate with the scientists' plan to be used as a military weapon, they decide they will kill it and dissect it. The custodian attempts to help the creature escape to the sea by means of a laundry cart.

The Shape of Water
Set in the 1960s, the plot follows a lonely, introverted female custodian at a research facility who falls in love with a captured aquatic creature who talks only to her. When the creature refuses to cooperate with the scientists' plan to be used as a military weapon, they decide they will kill it and dissect it. The custodian attempts to help the creature escape to the sea by means of a laundry cart.
peter
the spider from Mars

26099 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - put like that.....

Laughing

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: