Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I, Tonya

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter
the spider from Mars

25522 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: I, Tonya Reply with quote

This is yet another film they are marketing as a comedy, but in which any humour present is of a bitter sarcastic kind that doesn't leave one feeling the better for it. I liked the film - but found it sad to see how the brutal background from which Tonya Harding came constantly dictated the course of, and ultimately destroyed this most special of talents. I'm old enough to remember the events as they happened (all but hazily granted Wink ) and felt a profound sadness to see 'the reality' behind the headlines of the time fleshed out in such graphic fashion.
Margot Robbie gave a stunning performance, bitter and brutal in equal measure depicting a life that started badly and didn't get any better. Allison Janney was of course devastating in the role that won her the Oscar for best supporting actress - a monster with no redeeming qualities, and the male roles were no less revelatory of the base stupidity and violence that made up Harding's world in this dark and sad tale.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

18786 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were just talking about this last night. Tonya Harding was a legitimate badass who overcame a bunch of BS to be (arguably) the best figure skater in the world. Though I liked the film, I think it tried too hard to up the humor and minimize just how tough Tonya had it.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

42537 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best: she had physical prowess but was as elegant as a turnip rolling down a hill. ((From a man who watched a lot of figure skating during this period because his wife was a former skater and he was very supportive and also because Kerrigan was a local hero.)) It can be debated but skating is as much about style as jumps.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

14554 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Hysterical

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: