Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In The News Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

21314 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOP turnout for the primaries was 50% better than Dem turnout. Y'all have nothing to worry about.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

66502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I keep telling the Mrs. but she keeps wanting me to join her in the local Republican precinct, as do the people there. Even our State Representative--he and the Mrs. know each other in real life and were sitting at the same table watching the results Tuesday night--wants me to join.

I still have grave reservations about that--it would necessitate me officially joining the Republican Party and I am not certain I could look myself in the face (in the mirror) if I did that.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

66502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last three weeks there have been three hand-delivered packages containing explosive devices, which have injured and/or killed people in the Austin area, the last two of which happened today. The story didn't break before now because the first incident was two weeks ago and probably seemed like an isolated incident.

All three devices were delivered to houses only a few blocks east of I-35--that is probably how the suspect is getting to those locations, which also gives him an easy getaway route--but the general area isn't all that big, so he appears to be targeting that area if this really is the beginning of a pattern. The USPS has confirmed that none of the packages went through their facility and I suspect they didn't go through any other parcel carrier, either--the bomber probably put labels on them to make it appear as if they had been shipped when, in reality, he dropped them off in person. (I say "he" because most bombers are male)

Why was there a two-week delay from the first one until today? He was probably getting more materials and improving his design--the first one was a "test run".

Authorities have not released full demographic data on the victims so I don't know if they are being targeted by race/ethnicity. In any event, this qualifies as "domestic terrorism"...well, at least it will once the suspect is identified and they find his online manifesto and/or online posts where he goes on and on about his political stances.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Immanentizing The Eschaton

23180 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be interesting to see which way this one is blowing...I thought parcel bombs were out of fashion these days.

--A

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

66502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are easy to deliver even if they aren't trivial to build--you can't just half-ass an explosive device in a barn out in the middle of nowhere or you'll blow yourself up. They are also difficult to trace, especially if you don't leave hair or fingerprints on them. As they were delivered in residential neighborhood, the chance of being caught on security camera is much lower than if it had been in a commercial or downtown area.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22614 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting. The packages were all delivered in relatively close proximity to each other, at least as the crow flies.

The third looked suspiciously close to the International Airport.

Actually IEDs are surprisingly simple to make .. which is why they are still the weapon of choice of terrorists. All you need is a power source i.e. battery, detonator, a trigger, a main charge and a container. And the chemicals are needed are not difficult to access either.

You could be right Hashi .. the time gap could be resource related. Its a worry ..

Wish there were more info .. but as the FBI are also involved well we might have some time before further facts are divulged.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

66502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to overplay the complexity of constructing such devices just in case some lurker finds their way here. This is same reason I don't talk about making chemical-based weapons, either--give me access to a university stock room and I can synthesize some nasty shit. I have also mentioned before that I know how to drive a train--yes, an actual train.

All the how-to, step-by-step instructions are available for anyone to find within only one hour of searching on the Internet--one of its drawbacks.

Anyway....yes, all three instances are only 2 or 3 blocks east of I-35--I suspect the bomber is driving into Austin, dropping them off in residential neighborhoods, then making a quick exit before anyone knows what happened. Actual details are being withheld to weed out crank callers claiming responsibility.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22614 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed 😏

Regrettably there are YouTube videos with step by step instructions available in the infosphere.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

23180 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All knowledge is morally neutral. It's what you do with it that counts. And the 'net and its precursors, (remember the old Telnet BBS systems?) have always been a repository for that sort of information.

The old Anarchist's Cookbook was surely one of the first books ever disseminated electronically. Very Happy

Yes, people can put that knowledge to "bad" uses, but on the whole, I'd rather live in a world where it was possible than otherwise, even at increased risk of it happening to me for example.

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

22614 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill AMEN that 😎

And Ill AWOMEN that 😎

It is indeed all out there. You dont need to troll throughout the inter webs or through literary fanboards in the hope of stumbling upon vagueries when youre a far greater efficiency method googling.

Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Male

5912 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Skyweir wrote:
Ill AMEN that 😎

And Ill AWOMEN that 😎

[…]

As Av said, knowledge may well be "neutral", and it may well be what one does with it that "counts".

But, then again, the same could be said for firearms.

This raises some interesting cross-thread questions. "Cross-thread threads", one might say.

Things That Make You Go, Hmmm…

Nanothnir
Elohim

1443 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:

Actually IEDs are surprisingly simple to make .. which is why they are still the weapon of choice of terrorists. All you need is a power source i.e. battery, detonator, a trigger, a main charge and a container. And the chemicals are needed are not difficult to access either.

You're right about the threat posed by IUDs. Anyone with a basic knowledge of chemistry can make them.
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

66502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three Austin explosive devices went off while they were being carried. I thought they were just on the front porch, which could be a simple timed delay, but this means they were set to detect motion as the condition for detonation...unless the suspect was watching from a distance and detonating them by pushing a button when he saw someone pick it up (I highly doubt this scenario--staying in the area would be too risky). Either way, this isn't a rookie bomb maker--this person knows what they are doing.

I am unconvinced that the victims were chosen because of their ethnicity. The suspect is most likely driving in to the Austin area, whether from the north or the south (given the detonations' proximity to I-35) and there are plenty of predominantly non-white neighborhoods which could have been chosen besides this one. I don't know enough of the minutiae of Austin politics to know if this particular neighborhood is significant for some reason but I doubt that, so we can probably rule out the neighborhood as a reason for choosing those targets outside of "proximity to I-35".

My suspicion is that this person is still practicing despite their skill level being increased due to the mercury switches for motion detection. They will be ready for their actual intended target soon but for now they are watching the news to try and keep track of where the investigation is going.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
SoulBiter
State of Confusion

Ranyhyn

15032 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
All three Austin explosive devices went off while they were being carried. I thought they were just on the front porch, which could be a simple timed delay, but this means they were set to detect motion as the condition for detonation...unless the suspect was watching from a distance and detonating them by pushing a button when he saw someone pick it up (I highly doubt this scenario--staying in the area would be too risky). Either way, this isn't a rookie bomb maker--this person knows what they are doing.

Agree, because they have enough knowledge to make a bomb. But also enough knowledge of basic electronics to devise a movement switch that is not so dangerous that they couldn't move the bomb to the porch but would set itself off. I can think of a number of ways to accomplish this with physical switches but all of them are not without risk. I started to post a couple of ways that I could think of, but I don't want to become the next person investigated, nor do I want someone to give anyone ideas.

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22614 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its simply speculation though at this point.
As fun as that may be. 👍

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

66502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mostly speculation. The locations of the attacks and that the packages exploded while being carried are established facts, though, according to Austin PD.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel

23180 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need mercury switches...pretty much every smart phone is equipped with accelerometers now. Probably quite easy to write a little app that will send a signal on motion, and even schedule its activation.

--A

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

66502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Austin area bomber blew himself up as police zeroed in on him and surrounded his car. He made too many mistakes when trying to drop off explosive packages at a FedEx facility, which allowed them to trace him. As of right now, though, authorities still have no known motive as to why the suspect, Mark Conditt, did what he did--no fringe websites, no political exegesis that he wrote on line, etc. He did make a 27-minute-long cell phone video but even that offered no motive.

I was right about a few things, though--he was a native of Plugerville (northeast of Austin) and was staying in a hotel in Round Rock (north of Austin). Initial suspicions that his attacks were racially-motivated are incorrect, though--he wasn't actually targeting anyone because of their demographic.

The debate now is whether his crimes should be classified as "terrorism". The traditional definition requires a social or political motivation--Eric Rudolph targets abortion clinics, Ted Kaczynski was an anti-technology anarchist, and the Boston Marathon guys were radicalized overseas. Mr. Conditt's only apparent motive was either "wanted to watch the world burn" or "see if he could get away with it".

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22614 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do kids get that twisted 🤷‍♀️

I read coverage that he was conservative Christian ...and has made anti LGBTQ statements, pro executing terrorists and stuff of that ilk.. be interesting to see if we learn more about what drove his behaviour.. but its still early days.

Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

21314 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
How do kids get that twisted 🤷‍♀️

I read coverage that he was conservative Christian ...and has made anti LGBTQ statements, pro executing terrorists and stuff of that ilk.. be interesting to see if we learn more about what drove his behaviour.. but its still early days.
Hearsay so far. This kid just wanted to be famous.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 66 of 79

Jump to: