Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Justice League

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14803 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Justice League Reply with quote

This has turned out to be, not surprisingly, a huge bomb for Warner Bros.

I'll have to say it was better than I thought it would be. I thought it would suck, and suck hard.

I've read that Affleck says he's done with the role of Batman. Good riddance. He couldn't possibly be worse for the role.

Anyone else seen this?
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

63900 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it and quite enjoyed it. Miller and Momoa got all the best lines--I could see them getting solo films in the future...presuming DC doesn't shelve the entire franchise.

Unfortunately, DC still can't quite find the formula to translate their characters to the big screen even though their animated features and CW shows (only loosely under their control, mind you) are doing well. Part of their problem was they kept trying to rely on Zack Snyder too much (who sadly had to depart the project after a suicide in the family) and that they think their characters are still supposed to be dark and brooding like they were doing the deconstruction phase in the late 80s through the 90s. If they want to start with a better foundation they need someone like Peter David or Straczynski to write the screenplay then let Brad Bird be the director. For that matter they can let Patty Jenkins take over--she did a good job with Wonder Woman's solo movie.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

25515 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
I saw it and quite enjoyed it. Miller and Momoa got all the best lines--I could see them getting solo films in the future...presuming DC doesn't shelve the entire franchise.

Unfortunately, DC still can't quite find the formula to translate their characters to the big screen even though their animated features and CW shows (only loosely under their control, mind you) are doing well. Part of their problem was they kept trying to rely on Zack Snyder too much (who sadly had to depart the project after a suicide in the family) and that they think their characters are still supposed to be dark and brooding like they were doing the deconstruction phase in the late 80s through the 90s. If they want to start with a better foundation they need someone like Peter David or Straczynski to write the screenplay then let Brad Bird be the director. For that matter they can let Patty Jenkins take over--she did a good job with Wonder Woman's solo movie.

Reminds me of a statement I heard a while back that said that "The Incredibles" was the best "Fantastic Four" movie out there. Very Happy (Brad Bird directed of course)

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

10262 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH2 Covenant's Novels1 Ultraman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to watching JL and though I didn't mind the experience I wasn't thrilled by it either.
By comparison Man of Steel was a masterpiece.

Stories of this kind must have a compelling villain and said villain must be portrayed by a convincing, charismatic actor.

Doomsday was generated by a computer and presented a null villain. The same can be said about Steppenwolf.

Aside from a few moments of genuine thrills the film overall was lackluster on par with Avengers Age if Ultron.

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

63900 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of its problem is a holdover from the ending of BvS--they had to waste time in this movie to resolve the plot thread from that movie, time which could have been spent expounding upon the central characters or, ideally, the villain.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

10262 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH2 Covenant's Novels1 Ultraman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Part of its problem is a holdover from the ending of BvS--they had to waste time in this movie to resolve the plot thread from that movie, time which could have been spent expounding upon the central characters or, ideally, the villain.

I agree however there was much more muting the quality of the film.

JL didn't need to be a rehash of the first Avengers film in that an all powerful McGuffin is at the heart of an alien/mystical invasion by a horde of disposable cgi henchmen controlled by the villain. In this case however there is no Tom Hiddleson to give the antagonist a personality. Steppenwolf is as absent and computer generated as Henry Cavill's missing mustache.

Its not a bad film but it is a shame.

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Skyweir
Lord of Light

16499 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... a must see then 😏😏😏😏😎

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: