Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where in the hell did they find that?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

25509 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Where in the hell did they find that? Reply with quote

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/money-for-police-cannot-be-pegged-to-cooperation-with-ice-judge-rules/ar-AAvP5YR?ocid=ientp

So let me get this straight;

If I agree to give someone money, with the stipulation that they have to wear black athletic shoes.....

according to this judge, I can't refuse give the person money because they refuse to cooperate with the stipulations I imposed.

Why does this seem to be wrong. Heck I remember that the Fed made the whole country raise the drinking age to 21 or face the withholding of Fed dollars for road building.

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

2222 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok give them a penny and say you defer them to a bank.
And you want interest on the penny.

Besides.. the judge was in California... Should have recused
because of possible bias.
Precedence has been set by the Feds on other issues.
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

19224 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't stand up to appeal. Many, many courts have ruled that the government can withhold money (drinking age, speed limit, etc), and that immigration policy is a federal, not a state issue.

Freaking California.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Nanothnir
Elohim

1231 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judicial activism. Laughing Of course, I am not personally a fan of the whole concept of the Federal government using financial leverage in order to bully states into making 21 the legal drinking age, etc. Then again, all of these judges are making themselves look like fools because it is obviously a partisan attack against virtually every policy that Trump comes up with just because they loathe Trump.

Anyone with a braincell can see that the Federal government absolutely has the power to withhold funding for basically any reason whatsoever. If a local government wishes to ignore immigration laws and set up sanctuaries for illegal immigrants, then they should expect to see some ramifications from the Federal government. It isn't like the Federal government is FORCED to provide funding no matter what. It doesn't make any sense.
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

25509 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
Won't stand up to appeal. Many, many courts have ruled that the government can withhold money (drinking age, speed limit, etc), and that immigration policy is a federal, not a state issue.

Freaking California.

Yeah, I can see the SCOTUS overuling that one in a hurry.

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Skyweir
Lord of Light

16296 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting .. not so much the funding issue but the seperation of federal government and state government 🤷‍♀️

Seems crazy that cooperation between federal and state agencies would be viewed positively and encouraged.

Is it actually not that way in the US 🤷‍♀️

The funding issue is interesting .. its not unusual to apply conditions to grants etc.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

Last edited by Skyweir on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DoctorGamgee
Sandgorgon in training...

Male

8044 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Glimmermere

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love this! I no longer have to go to work, but they still have to pay me!!!! Mr. Green
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

25509 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
Interesting .. not so much the funding issue but the desperation of federal government and state government 🤷‍♀️

Seems crazy that cooperation between federal and state agencies would be viewed positively and encouraged.

The funding issue is interesting .. its not unusual to apply conditions to grants etc.

In theory the individual states are separate entities from the Federal Government. In practice, since the American Civil War (or the War of Northern Aggression as we call it here in the South Big Grin ), the Federal Government essentially trumps (no pun intended) all state laws.

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn

14461 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawedge Rim wrote:
In practice, since the American Civil War (or the War of Northern Aggression as we call it here in the South Big Grin ),

Ahhh my people have spoken!! Smile Cheers

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Skyweir
Lord of Light

16296 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawedge Rim wrote:
Skyweir wrote:
Interesting .. not so much the funding issue but the desperation of federal government and state government 🤷‍♀️

In theory the individual states are separate entities from the Federal Government. In practice, since the American Civil War (or the War of Northern Aggression as we call it here in the South Big Grin ), the Federal Government essentially trumps (no pun intended) all state laws.

Ahhhh yes ... thats how it normally works. However, despite having that federal gov trump card 😏 pun noted .. I would think cooperation would be encouraged and .. per the issue of federal grants, incentivised. 🤷‍♀️

I dont think despite this ruling .. it would survive higher court challenge.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

19224 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawedge Rim wrote:
Skyweir wrote:

Right, and withholding funding is typically how the Feds compel the states.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

63756 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A judge occupying a higher bench can easily overturn this decision. Failing that, I would cut that grant money completely, then when police departments ask "why didn't we get any money?" I would tell them "go ask Mike Feuer out in Los Angeles".

This is just another case of "legislating from the bench"--judicial overreach is sometimes difficult to fight against, because it usually requires amending the law to circumvent a judge's ruling. Besides, there is no such thing as a "permanent" injunction.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

25509 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/18/603525897/tennessee-strips-250-000-from-memphis-as-payback-for-removing-confederate-statue

works for me. should be a model of how to handle such things, sorta "Do what you want, but realise that there are consequences.

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

63756 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winston from 1984 wrote:
Do you realize that the past, starting from yesterday, has been actually abolished? If it survives anywhere, it's in a few solid objects with no words attached to them, like that lump of glass there. Already we know almost literally nothing about the Revolution and the years before the Revolution. Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street and building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right. I know, of course, that the past is falsified, but it would never be possible for me to prove it, even when I did the falsification myself. After the thing is done, no evidence ever remains.

Where will the revisionists turn when there are no more Confederate monuments to remove and/or destroy?

Yes, the foundation of the Confederacy was wrong but removing historical monuments in at attempt to create "safe spaces" where people don't have to face the past is worse....or, at the very least, equivalent--these people are creating mental slavery so they don't have to be reminded of physical slavery.

What is going to happen when these "let's remove the past" people, some of whom are quite savvy and devote their free time to pouring over every iota of historical records, start publicly calling out people who are alive now because one their distant ancestors who lived 170 years ago owned a slave? It is only a matter of time until this happens.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

16296 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be a bit of an overreach .. I see that some aspects in history are offensive. But I agree we shouldnt pursue a whitewashing of history .. its not useful or productive.

However that does not mean that we should memorialise historical wrongs ... and I think thats what this is actually about.

Removing the memorials to people and events that impact on a humans present. Yea remove them .. the history still remains whether a memorial is taken down or not.

I mean you can look at it as a cost benefit analysis .. what are the costs of such an action and how does that rank against the benefits. 🤷‍♀️

I would be surprised if anyone wants to rewrite history itself .. that WOULD be harmful .. and we need that to prevail so we can learn from the mistakes of the past.

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

63756 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
Removing the memorials to people and events that impact on a humans present. Yea remove them .. the history still remains whether a memorial is taken down or not.

The problem is that history which is not visible via monuments, plaques, or statues which people can see, even if we disagree with whatever is being memorialized, becomes lost. Most people study history only when they are in a class and they have to pass it; once they are out of school they couldn't care less about what happened 25, 50, 100, or more years ago, even if that history is horrendous and should never be repeated.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

16296 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is a sweeping generalisation. The fact that there are academics, historian, a wealth of recorded history .. is a counter to this .. so should anyone ever want to learn about their history.

With the advent of the internet, more and more knowledge is readily accessible. Universities still teach history, history itself will not dissipate because of a removal of a statue memorial.

And there is little someone who seeks to learn about history .. can learn from a statue .. theyd be better served going to a library in person or a digital one.

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

63756 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
Well that is a sweeping generalisation. The fact that there are academics, historian, a wealth of recorded history .. is a counter to this .. so should anyone ever want to learn about their history.

My point exactly--only very few people want to learn history.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

16296 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok Hashi .. it really is

A monument is not going to TEACH history .. history is not going to be wiped out by the removal of a monument. History itself will remain in tact. Its not going anywhere .. whether folks are inclined to learn it or not.

It is taught in schools, universities, forms of it are available in television media, and it is accessible digitally.

Removing a monument will not change history.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

21859 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough as far as it goes. In fact, we could argue that monuments themselves present only a very distorted view thereof...

--A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: