Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Column of the day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 120, 121, 122  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

20838 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
Oh come on .. these are just his tweets, his verbal pronouncements on immigration are equally as bad.

Its all about his use of language ... the terms CRIME, KILLINGS, SAFETY, MS13 .. in conjunction with and as part of the same sentences with the words ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION ... make it clear that Trump is definitely disseminating a negative narrative.

This is how one demonises a people.

Its no different to how the Jews were demonised .. descriptors like INFESTATION, CRIMINALS, GREEDY, FILTHY etc ...
Nothing here addresses the fact that you made up the implied, "ALL" in his tweets.

Repeating lies does not constitute truths.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Skyweir
Lord of Light

20325 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring truths doesnt make my comments lies.

Youre using Trumps art of deflection admirably.

And you have produced nothing to the contrary .. except proclaiming my comments lies.

These are Trumps tweets, Trumps language .. Trump is tarring all immigrants with the same brush ... referring to them all as criminals, they all represent a threat to national safety, they are all killers etc.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

65746 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one takes Trump's tweets seriously. Well, at least no one should take them seriously--sometimes they are responses to something he hears on a talking head show.

Trump is demonstrably incorrect about one thing, though--fixing the immigration system is not the Democrats' fault. Republicans control a majority of both Houses of Congress--they could fix it right now if they *wanted* to, and they wouldn't need Democrat input to do it, either. Right now, the Republican Congress is the equivalent of the Democratic Congress we had in 2009-2010--one party controls both Houses yet cannot get its policy implemented because they are too scared to do it on their own.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

20325 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant value add Hashi

And I agree.

And when collecting the previous list of his tweets, I came across many that decried the Democrats for obstructing the passage of his new, great immigration laws, that would overturn the dumb ones you have now. 🤷‍♀️

His tweets I suppose unfortunately .. make him sound like a moronic dolt

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

65746 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
His tweets I suppose unfortunately .. make him sound like a moronic dolt

Most tweets make the tweeter sound like a twit. (that sentence would not have made any sense 10 years ago) If I tried to say everything I wanted to say in only 280 characters (or however much they allow now) while typing them quickly so I could appear to be responding in real time then I would look like an illiterate idiot, myself. On a keyboard I stay over 70 wpm; on a phone keyboard I type like an old person--one-fingered hunt-and-peck.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Immanentizing The Eschaton

23768 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
No one takes Trump's tweets seriously. Well, at least no one should take them seriously--sometimes they are responses to something he hears on a talking head show.

The question is...does he take them seriously...

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

20325 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed 😬

Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

20838 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
Ignoring truths doesnt make my comments lies.

Youre using Trumps art of deflection admirably.

And you have produced nothing to the contrary .. except proclaiming my comments lies.

These are Trumps tweets, Trumps language .. Trump is tarring all immigrants with the same brush ... referring to them all as criminals, they all represent a threat to national safety, they are all killers etc.
They're clearly lies, as the tweets you've posted don't use the language you're inferring into them. Trump has not referred to "all" immigrants as criminals. He is, however, factually correct that all illegal immigrants are criminals.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

20838 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberals Get a Dose of Their Own Medicine

Quote:
I am a strong advocate for holding liberals to the same rules they hold everyone else to. Far too often we see conservatives hammered for something they did or said, even if it's taken out of context, and hounded from the public stage because an angry liberal mob was pointed in their direction for no other reason than the left's desire for a scalp. While it is satisfying to claim one of theirs after they claim, or try to claim, one of ours, it's a sad game that ends with everyone losing.

This game is nothing new, but it has gotten significantly worse in recent years, especially after the election of Donald Trump. Before the election liberals hated non-liberals (independents are not immune either, anyone deemed not sufficiently liberal is fair game), but after November 8th, 2016, particularly around 9:00 pm when it became clear that Hillary was not going to win in a walk, their blood began to boil and scalps became the order the day.

This week saw the left eat one of their own, as was bound to happen - Frankenstein's monster always returns to destroy the castle eventually.

An actor named Mark Duplass (don't feel bad if you've never heard of him, most people haven't) tweeted something fairly innocuous. "Fellow liberals," he wrote, "If you are interested at all in 'crossing the aisle' you should consider following @BenShapiro. I don't agree with him on much but he's a genuine person who once helped me for no other reason than to be nice. He doesn't bend the truth. His intentions are good."

Like I said, a harmless tweet expressing a sentiment from an earlier time, a simpler time. But that time is dead. The aisle is a chasm, and progressives have built a wall around their side, a la Berlin 1961, to keep people in. Suggesting it be breached is heresy.

Duplass quickly came under fire from people in his own trench; from inside the wall. A day later he issued a retraction.

Why issue a retraction (an apology) for simply telling liberals they might want to sample the air outside their bubble every once in a while? Because that's not allowed. A hive mind is not built to accept or even handle dissent.

I feel sorry for Duplass, all he tried to do was to be human. He tried to expand other people's minds, or at least their understanding of what they view as their enemy. That is not allowed.

Time will tell if his career is impacted by this, but it's a sad commentary on where we are as a society that that's even a possibility, and likely a probably. Such is the state of Hollywood, and the state of the left.

Fueled, in part, by the outrage of the left, some on the right decided to go scalp-hunting and landed a much bigger fish - the director of the "Guardians of the Galaxy" movies, James Gunn.

Ten-year-old tweets from Gunn were very politically incorrect at the time and are considered a hate-crime by today's standards. Gunn was quickly fired by Disney from writing and directing the next installment of the billion-dollar franchise.

Quickly, the very mob that had run Duplass into his panic room to tweet an apology was angry over Gunn's dismissal. Liberal "journalists" and activists (like there's a difference) who'd just called for the firing of Scarlett Johansson a week ago for the crime of being a woman who was going to play a transsexual and championed every boycott call of Laura Ingraham, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, and Rush Limbaugh over harmless comments, condemned the firing of a director who made rape and pedophile jokes. The hypocrisy is obvious.

Both sides had a "victory" of sorts - one got an apology that served as a warning shot to anyone else in their tribe who might consider not hating conservatives, and conservatives claimed a famous scalp by applying the very rules we've been bludgeoned with by liberals for years.

This tit-for-tat is something I've subscribed to for years - liberals should be held to the same rules they impose on others. Liberals should be forced to take their own medicine, it's not our fault that it sometimes turns out to be a suppository. But these ridiculous events exposed just how insane the whole exercise has become. Lives were damaged, maybe even careers ruined, over a tweet suggesting we might be able to tolerate each other, at least in 240 character increments on social media.

Apparently, we can't. Or, more accurately, we won't.

I'm just as guilty as anyone. Though I didn't have anything to do with these events, having spent large chunks of the last few days off social media (something I highly recommend), I likely would have jumped in had I seen it. And I'm not suggesting conservatives change - unilateral disarmament is insane. I just can't help but feel a little nostalgic for the past, when we could disagree and still get along. The days before the liberal mob made every little thing political and ruined it all for the rest of us.

Nanothnir
Elohim

1431 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Breaking News: Thousands of refugees swim across Bosphorus Reply with quote

In a disturbing development, thousands of migrants swim across the Bosphorus in order to 'have better life.'

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-44915204/thousands-race-in-bosphorus-cross-continental-swim

This isn't click-bait. I swear!
Kizza
Pointer and Quaffer

Male

2363 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Diamondraught

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking News: Thousands of refugees swim across Bosphor Reply with quote

Nanothnir wrote:
In a disturbing development, thousands of migrants swim across the Bosphorus in order to 'have better life.'

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-44915204/thousands-race-in-bosphorus-cross-continental-swim

This isn't click-bait. I swear!

Um, an annual race clickbaiting migration for what purpose Nano marine boy?

23768 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

--A

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

65746 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:

This is why most people should not use Twitter--they inevitably say something they ought not have said and someone winds up finding it.

The main point of the article is definitely true, though--The Left wants everyone who claims to be on that side to have a groupthink hive mind where dissenting opinion is disallowed. I mean, if people think for themselves then they won't need The Powers That Be to tell them what to think!

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

26006 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Cail wrote:

This is why most people should not use Twitter--they inevitably say something they ought not have said and someone winds up finding it.

The main point of the article is definitely true, though--The Left wants everyone who claims to be on that side to have a groupthink hive mind where dissenting opinion is disallowed. I mean, if people think for themselves then they won't need The Powers That Be to tell them what to think!

I seriously don't see how people can't seem to understand that once something is in the net, that it's in the net for all practical purposes, forever. Took nude, or unflattering picture of yourself and posted it online, it's still there somewhere. Posted something freaking stupid in an a blog, or on a social media site, it's like a ghost that can't be exorcised.

And this has been true for over 25 years.

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

65746 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawedge Rim wrote:
And this has been true for over 25 years.

I bet if I look around long enough I can find some old alt.net posts I made back in 1989-1990.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel

23768 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're starting to figure it out. Very Happy

--A

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

65746 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oldest post I found from myself yesterday was--ironically--from 23 July 2000, only 18 years ago. I was discussing the message "aura cleansed" your character in Icewind Dale would get if they had a full inventory yet you gave them one more item.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel

23768 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, only 18 years ago. Very Happy

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

20325 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha .. about the time I joined the Watch .. EZboard Watch 😬

Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

20838 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Kavanaugh-Christine Blasey Ford saga: Believe the facts, not necessarily the women

Quote:
As I write this, I have no idea what will happen with Judge Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination. But I do have a few observations on what's happened so far:

"Believe the women" is bunk, and nobody really means it anyway. We heard that mantra in two of the most famous fake-rape cases of recent years, the Duke lacrosse case and the University of Virginia/Rolling Stone case. In the former, the prosecutor who believed the woman in question wound up losing his law license; in the latter, Rolling Stone wound up facing millions in damages. In both cases, stereotypes about "privileged" athletes and fraternity brothers encouraged many people to believe stories that were rather shaky, and to shame those who expressed doubts as rape-enablers.

Only there was no rape; it was all made up.

We're now hearing the same kinds of things from opponents of Judge Kavanaugh. But a story is true or not based on its facts, not on who the accuser, or the accused, happens to be. To know what happened here, we need facts, not stereotypes.

People believe what they want to believe

Then there's the case of Keith Ellison, deputy chairman of the Democratic National Committee. He's accused by a former girlfriend of domestic violence and abuse, but only 5% of Democrats in Minnesota believe the charges, according to a poll by the Star Tribune and Minnesota Public Radio, despite evidence of a doctor's note that includes her allegation of physical abuse. Ellison, meanwhile, says the woman, Karen Monahan, is lying, and warns that there may be more false accusations to come. Believe the women? Not so much.

People believe what they want to believe, at least until the evidence is overwhelming. (And sometimes even then.) And calls to "believe the women" tend to be pretty opportunistic - something that Juanita Broaddrick, who accused Bill Clinton two decades ago of rape to no effect, has been noting on Twitter.

The Supreme Court is too powerful. Confirmation fights are so contentious because the Supreme Court is in many ways the most powerful part of our government. It's the only one whose rulings can't be overturned by an election, and it's closely divided. The makeup of the Supreme Court is so important that it plays a major role in elections for the presidency and for the Senate. This is a profound distortion of our constitutional scheme, one that's bad for the court and for the country.

We've become too tribal. For decades, the consensus favored bringing Americans together, across divides like race and religion. But things don't work that way now. As Andrew Sullivan writes: "After a while, the crudest trigger points of tribalism - your race, your religion (or lack of it), your gender, your sexual orientation - dominate the public space." He underscored his point with this from Quillette founder Claire Lehmann: "The Woke Left has a moral hierarchy with white men at the bottom. The Alt Right has a moral hierarchy that puts white men at the top."

Politicians, as I've noted here before, probably know that tribalism is bad for the larger society. But it benefits their political positions, and we no longer have strong enough societal norms to control it. If we don't develop such norms, the result will be bad.

Social media make things worse. There are some nice things about the immediate interaction made possible by sites like Facebook and Twitter. But social media - especially Twitter, where most of the political/journalistic types hang out - can be destructive, too. Ideas and half-baked theories spread like wildfire, amplified by algorithms that emphasize "engagement," which give more attention to the ideas that people love or hate the most.

Maybe cameras and good government don't go together. Watching senators posture during the Kavanaugh hearings this month, a fellow law professor observed that he was now convinced having cameras in federal courtrooms was a bad idea. He may well be right. At any rate, having cameras in the Senate certainly hasn't improved the quality of senatorial work.

Theatrics have not improved our government

Maybe we should just get rid of confirmation hearings entirely. Though people take the practice for granted now, it's actually of relatively recent vintage. The first hearings involved the confirmation of Justice Louis Brandeis in 1916, and it happened because anti-Semites were reluctant to approve a Jewish associate justice.

For many decades after that, hearings were held but the nominee didn't take questions. The first time a nominee took questions from senators was Potter Stewart in 1959, and that was because of concerns by segregationists.

It's hard to argue that either the Senate or the Supreme Court has improved since. Maybe we should eliminate the theatrics.

Thanked by: Rawedge Rim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 120, 121, 122  Next
Page 121 of 122

Jump to: