Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandy - a great movie? With Nick Cage? Really?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

43261 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Mandy - a great movie? With Nick Cage? Really? Reply with quote

There's a horror/revenge flick coming out that's getting rave reviews.
Currently it's sitting at 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The star is Nicolas Cage.

Color me curious.

peter
the spider from Mars

28584 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have (when all is said and done) to at least remember Con Air - one of the most ridiculous, preposterous, shallow but entertaining films ever made. Cage can do it!

Do you feel lucky?

Yes I do!

Laughing

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

20688 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

It was indeed a very silly movie .. but I still enjoyed it Big Grin

Cage has been in quite a lot of silly movies tbh and a few good ones.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

43261 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AICN wrote:
Which brings us back to Nicolas Cage. I'm sure many people will look at the advertising and early critical reactions to MANDY and assume that Cage is at his most over the top here and in a film where he fights a mutated biker gang with a battle axe that looks like it was designed by H.R. Giger that's to be expected and anything less would frankly be a little disappointing. Cage, however, plays large parts of the film with a quiet intensity and once you see what he's doing here you know it was the right choice. Make no mistake, there are some truly great "mega acting" moments from Cage that will not escape internet mockery. Those who do that mockery though, are missing this fundamental truth about Nicolas Cage; he is the only actor working today who can make a scene, like the one that follows the attack on Red and Mandy that leaves her dead and him on the path of vengeance, actually work. The scene entails a wounded Red, mourning his loss, downing a bottle of vodka while patching himself up and sobbing uncontrollably. It's a brave scene that Cage is magnetic during because of the way he plays it like a man just barely clinging to his sanity. His choice to go big there feels fitting and I firmly believe any other actor would have floundered at that moment and brought the film to a grinding halt.
peter
the spider from Mars

28584 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sold - count me in for this one!

Very Happy

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
samrw3
Bloodguard

1395 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
AICN wrote:
Make no mistake, there are some truly great "mega acting" moments from Cage that will not escape internet mockery. Those who do that mockery though, are missing this fundamental truth about Nicolas Cage; he is the only actor working today who can make a scene, like the one that follows the attack on Red and Mandy that leaves her dead and him on the path of vengeance, actually work. The scene entails a wounded Red, mourning his loss, downing a bottle of vodka while patching himself up and sobbing uncontrollably. It's a brave scene that Cage is magnetic during because of the way he plays it like a man just barely clinging to his sanity. His choice to go big there feels fitting and I firmly believe any other actor would have floundered at that moment and brought the film to a grinding halt.

This part of the movie is great. I agree Cage is one of the few if perhaps the only actor to pull off that scene. I watched the movie this weekend with my wife my review:

Score B. First hour of movie C- in fact I was almost to he point of turning to the wife and saying ditch this movie. But right at around the hour mark there is a pivotal scene that changes the mood and slips us back to a good horror movie. So the second hour B+. They could have edited the first hour more tightly and lost some minutes without losing too much of the movie.

Possible spoilers ahead (although I seriously doubt anything I say here will spoil the movie too much but some people want to go into movie knowing practically nothing - so reason for spoiler alert)

Between the 40 minute mark (roughly) and the hour mark were some - for lack of describing it any other way - "psychedelic" moments. That section didn't really work for me. It was too drawn out and in my opinion pretty strange. That area could have been trimmed with getting the same impact.

The first 40 minutes (roughly) could have been edited down some as well. If I would to give advice to the screenwriters I question their choice of not concentrating a little more on the relationship between Red and Mandy. To me that could have contained a more powerful "punch" in the second hour.

Note - make sure if you watch at home like I did have very good sound system. Our sound system is pretty good but can lose some quiet moments and some movies the sound is slightly muted. The first little while of the movie has a lot of whispering and we were straining to hear what they were saying.

Definite spoilers read at your own risk:

Two questions I had during the movie
1. If the bad guy thought he was so charismatic why did he so few followers (like I think he had about 7 or so followers)
2. What the heck was up the strange motorcycle people - I might have missed the explanation in the times our sound was not up to a great level but I missed the entire reason for them or what they were - to me
MAJOR SPOILER!!!
Spoiler:
the movie wanted some bad guys to kill off
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

43261 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Do you recommend it? For who?
samrw3
Bloodguard

1395 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm knowing what I know now I recommend with hesitations. The first hour in my opinion takes patience to get through.

If I had to do it all over again I would wait for it to come out in Redbox or a subscribed streaming service - Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc. I don't think there would be much lost in watching on TV versus film screen (although couple fight scenes may be better on film screen). [I watched it On Demand for $8 not horrendous for husband/wife movie date night]

Thus if you are like me are getting impatient in the first hour you could have the option of forwarding it. If you decide to forward the movie stop at about the 50 minute mark and for sure no later than the 55 minute mark. There is a scene before the pivotal scene that sets up the bad guy's motivations for why he does what he does somewhere near that window.

I would recommend as a thriller/horror. To me more of a thriller than strict horror.

I think Cage does a very good job in this movie.

SPOILER

Definitely recommend as a revenge thriller film especially the second hour.
peter
the spider from Mars

28584 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this tonight and sadly have to say that me and Mandy definitely did not see eye to eye. The entire film is spent in a sort of trippy Disney world, like an adult graphic novel gone wrong. Sure, Cage does his best with it - but for me, despite all of the plaudits it has received, it simply didn't work. I found the second half (and it is a two act show) marginally better than the first, but I was bored by the story, unconvinced by the cinematography, and unimpressed by the performances. Do I think it will become a 'cult' phenomenon in the years ahead - well, maybe.....but I won't be joining up with it, and I'm guessing neither will you.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: