Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

House of Cards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iolanthe
Proudly wearing Purple

FemaleRanyhyn

6698 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Glimmermere1 Plains of Ra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
I just started watching the British series this is based on. If Spacey's 4th wall breaches annoy you, the Brit series will drive you nuts.

Blimey! I watched that - in 1990. I was rather a fan of the late Ian Richardson since his appearance in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Alec Guiness, Michael Jayston and a wonderful performance by Beryl Reid) in 1979. But "I couldn't possibly comment" Very Happy

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

15048 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished season 2. Overall I think season 1 is better, but this was close. All the machinations were overwhelming at times. I'm still confused about Seth. Whose side is he really on? I still think there isn't a decent bone in Claire's body, but she did seem conflicted finally at the end.

I predict 1 more season, and Frank will go down in the end.

Last edited by dlbpharmd on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarathustra
Be True

26811 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like season 3 is as popular around here, at least going by the lack of comments. I tried to watch it. Got as far as the first scene where Frank pisses on his father's grave and his first smarmy, smartass look at the camera, and turned that shit off. I didn't want to watch another second.

I've heard some bad things online. Am I missing out, or was my instinct right?
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

23797 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was okay. Not as over the top as season 2. My only real complaint was that it's only half a story, doesn't have much of an ending.

Mod of the General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Forum
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22586 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very different tone this season. Good, and a bit more grounded than Season 2.

The 4th wall thing is a carryover from the British series.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
Be True

26811 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue isn't the 4th wall thing as much as the character himself. Taking a Presidential motorcade to your father's grave so you can piss on it is over-the-top pettiness. I don't think I've ever seen someone go to such extraordinary lengths to be so small. When it was combined with his dripping-condescension look directly at the viewers, I felt the show might as well be pissing on us.

It was a gut reaction. Maybe I'm getting tired of the morally ambiguous protagonist thing (yeah, I said that on a Donaldson website Laughing ).
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22586 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial exuberance for the show has waned. HoC can only be consumed by binge watching. If you were to take this series at a one episode per week dosage, you'd have time to pick apart the silliness. As it stands on Netflix, it's a fun watch to power through for 12 hours at a clip.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

15048 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoilers follow....

I would point out how different Frank and Claire seem in this season. I'm not surprised that Frank's manipulations don't work to perfection now that he's President. But, suddenly he's talking about putting the public good foremost (AmericaWorks.) I kept waiting for some ulterior motive behind that, like a massive kickback or embezzlement scheme.

And, Claire suddenly caring about human/gay rights, to the point where she wrecked Frank's deal with the Russians? With everything from the first 2 seasons, this was completely out of character for her. Thus, their breakup didn't jive with me.

The most interesting character was Stamper, and he was also the most consistent with the previous 2 seasons. He continued to develop as the ruthless consigliere. I'm interested to see what happens with him in season 4.
Aren't you?

23797 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiler:
I see America Works as Frank's attempt to do something big and bold with his name on it: something that he'll be remembered for. It needed to be something that was huge and went entirely counter to the current ideas, because that guarantees it'll be important enough to remember, while sounding like something good for the country, because otherwise he'd risk his power.

And as for Claire, she tanked the Russia talks after having a man commit suicide in the same room as her using her scarf. That's kind of a hard thing to ignore. She went in there fully intending to talk him into compromising his beliefs for Frank's sake.

She did have a history of working for women's rights in earlier seasons, for more than just reasons of gaining power, so I don't see her caring about other issues as out of character.

dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

15048 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone still watching? I'm about to give up on it, as the story doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
whilom witling

Male

44683 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it. I've been asking around about how good is season 4, because season 3 was kinda boring.

I think I've been answered.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda for which this forum has become a platform.
I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

23797 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed season 4, and liked that there was a lot more of Claire getting to do stuff. A little bothered by how far removed the show is from real world politics, particularly for a show about an election during an election year. I kind of wish they'd just move toward an ending, instead of dragging this out. (I've commented elsewhere that the 52nd episode would have been a perfect place to end a show called House of Cards, but nope, there's at least one more season.)

Apparently the original showrunner has left after making this latest season; the new showrunners are people who only joined during season 3.

Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22586 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm halfway through the final season, and it's dragging pretty badly. In an attempt to fill the massive hole left by Kevin Spacey, they've tried to be more topical. Unfortunately, it's come off as preachy, and the devilishness of prior seasons is gone.
Zarathustra
Be True

26811 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even consider giving this season a try. Spacey is what made this show. I think it was the right decision to fire him, but I have no interest without his character.

Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22586 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst series finale since Dexter.
I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

23797 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really wasted an opportunity in this season, and I feel like it's because the writers have no idea who Claire is or what she wants. Then in the last episode they kinda stopped developing things in favour of focusing on wrapping up Doug Stamper's story and the fallout of Frank's death. Half the stuff they set up in the season was left hanging at the end.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: