Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

President Trump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 87, 88, 89  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Male

18379 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... I'm going to defend Trump here - and on his own merits (or perhaps that's too strong a word, so on his own traits).

First off, I'm no fan of the guy as a person, an individual. I'd not ever choose to hang out or interact with him in any way because character-wise, I can pretty much guarantee he's an out-and-out dick.

But so what? First off, I'm not a US voter and second, I - like 99.99% of the US electorate as well - am not ever going to have any opportunity to hang out with him or indeed associate or deal with him in the first place.

The SOLE thing that's of any importance here is this: is the Donald proving to be effective in terms of delivering enough of those things that the majority of the US electorate wants?

The answer to that seems very clearly to be a resounding "YES" - at least to date. Just look at any dispassionate evaluation of percentage achievement of promoted pre-election policies. Trump scores far better than Obama and other POTUS predecessors. So, the very clear take-out from this is that the dude - dick though he may be - is EFFECTIVE.

Is Donald a liar? Sure - he's a politician. But despite this, he clearly seems to be delivering on more manifesto pledges than previous POTUSes. And his brand of lying is IMO far less duplicitous than that seen from Obama (or Hillary). With Trump, you absolutely know what you're getting - a bit of a dick (character-wise). You know where you stand and what you're dealing with. There's next to no dissimulation - the guy's unreconstructed, is no politician and no diplomat. He doesn't want to be, isn't capable of being - and one has to ask, so what?

Compare and contrast with Obama (and Hillary for that matter). The duplicity and double-speak, the perfectly smooth public image, the well-crafted words - but stack those up against real-world facts and achievements and you very quickly come to the conclusion that you're best off disbelieving and distrusting everything they might say, no matter how polished. Theirs is hypocrisy taken to a whole other level - far more convoluted and pernicious than anything Trump has ever evidenced - or is even apparently capable of.

As to success and ethical behaviour in his business life? Trump is undoubtedly successful as a private sector businessman against any measure. I'm sure that much of this success has been as a result of utterly hard-nosed dealings to within the very inch of what's legal (and please, let's forget the standard of "what's ethical" here - capitalism is red in tooth and claw).

All this leads to the inevitable opinion that Trump as POTUS is very definitely being sufficiently EFFECTIVE. He's sufficiently DELIVERING (whether one personally likes all his policies or not - enough of the US electorate apparently did to vote him in on their basis).

This is most obvious domestically. The US economy is doing well (at least currently) and although cynics might say that Donald is fortuitously benefitting from a natural global economic cycle that would have happened anyway, he's doing nothing to hinder or weaken that.

And on immigration? Again his hardball stance obviously rang enough of a chord with enough of the US electorate to get him elected. You personally may personally find his policy on immigration loathsome and morally abhorrent - but again, so what? It got chosen - that's called "democracy" - deal with it.

So, Trump is - against the measures that he set and that got him voted in by a majority of US voters - sufficiently ACHIEVING. End of discussion.

The one single (but okay, large) caveat I personally have, the one thing that's stopping Trump from being a better (or a great - depending on your startpoint) POTUS is his kneejerk arrogance... his thoughtless and ego-driven single setting of hard ball-ism - although I'm freely prepared to admit, those traits are at least in part core to what's making him effective in the domestic US environment.

However, it's this thoughtless kneejerk egotism that IMV makes Trump not at all good when it comes to international politics. With the possible exception of North Korea (which remains to be seen, but that situation is looking mildly more promising than it ever has), this is where Trump is largely at sea. His confrontational stance on trade tariffs has been dumb - and is I'm pretty sure already starting to come back and bite him on the ass. He may be the biggest bully in the US schoolyard - and that works extremely effectively, domestically speaking. But the same simplistic tactics don't work when the stage is massively broadened (as I think is becoming more apparent).

I also think his position on the Middle East is needlessly inflammatory and his stance towards Russia utterly unclear - and therefore perceivable as weak. Nope I'm not finding any value in the statement that he's been the toughest on Russia since Reagan. Even if true, all that simply says is that every POTUS between Ronnie and Donald must have been really REALLY crap, when it came to Russia.

But against the yardsticks that most matter to the majority of US voters who put him in power, Trump is ACHIEVING. And to them, that simply has to be both refreshing and commendable. Trump is delivering, for all that - or quite possibly because - he's an arrogant dick.

Some people say I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

21352 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM, not Trump, is the real villain to some Ohio factory workers

Quote:

After an election campaign in which he had pledged a manufacturing renaissance, President Trump came to this once-thriving industrial region of northeastern Ohio last year and all but waved a mission-accomplished flag.

The jobs are "all coming back," he announced. "Don't move, don't sell your house."

That vow collided with the shifting dynamics of the auto industry on Monday when General Motors told workers it was idling Lordstown's prized Chevrolet factory.

"Some people were crying," said Joyce Olesky, a 23-year employee of the plant. "I looked over and saw people who looked like they had the flu, turning white."

Many Lordstown residents recalled that Mr. Trump had promoted steel tariffs and his trade savvy as a way to create jobs. But while critics faulted the president for failing to deliver what he promised, a number of workers were quick to exonerate him.

Some portrayed him as well intentioned but simply outgunned by larger economic forces. Others suggested that whatever Mr. Trump's flaws, they paled in comparison to those of General Motors, which they considered the real culprit.

"I believe that if there's tariffs or not, G.M. will continue to take our cars out of this country because it's cheaper to do it and ship it back," said Ms. Olesky, a Trump supporter.

Beyond the roughly 1,600 jobs that are likely to be lost at the plant, there are a few dozen suppliers employing thousands of workers in the region, along with businesses here in the Mahoning Valley that will be hit hard by the loss of customers.

Timothy Francisco, director of the Center for Working-Class Studies at Youngstown State University, cited a colleague's estimate that three additional jobs were lost for every one cut at the plant.

On Monday morning, Earl Ross, the owner of Ross' Eatery & Pub, a social hub in Lordstown, was in a tree stand poised to hunt deer when he received a text message about the news. "My reaction was a sick stomach," Mr. Ross said, "and for the whole rest of the day, I just sat in the rain and thought about the future."

There is also the likely effect on the housing market, as workers try to offload mortgages amid the prospect of unemployment.

Jason Sickler, who has worked at the plant since 2000, said he would prepare his house for a possible sale as he contemplated whether to request a transfer to a General Motors operation in another city.

"I was literally nauseous yesterday when I walked out of there," said Mr. Sickler, who enjoys his job in the trim department and is loath to relocate with a son still in high school. "Today I'm trying to get a better game plan, accept it a little more."

In some ways the story of Lordstown in recent decades sounds a lot like the story of industrial America writ large. The number of workers at the G.M. plant peaked around 13,000 in the mid-1980s, according to the union there. It had dropped below 5,000 by this decade, as foreign competition and automation took their toll.

But in other respects G.M.'s presence allowed the village of about 3,200 to defy the economic realities bearing down on the region.

Factory workers have helped generate millions of dollars in village income-tax revenue over the years to pay for infrastructure and other expenses. "We've been blessed with the ability to have money to do that," said Arno Hill, who has served as mayor in two stints totaling nearly 20 years since the early 1990s.

Even during the recession and financial crisis of 2008 and 2009, which pushed G.M. into bankruptcy, the plant and the town were only briefly affected. And in 2010, when G.M. began to produce a new fuel-efficient sedan, the Chevrolet Cruze, in Lordstown, workers at the plant were overjoyed.

"Oh, my God, we were so excited," said Marisol Gonzalez-Bowers, who has spent more than two decades at the plant. "We had three shifts, were running at full capacity. Twelve hours if you wanted it." Ms. Gonzalez-Bowers said that with overtime, she could easily take home $75,000 a year during the early half of this decade.

Even with Lordstown's relative durability, Mr. Trump's vision of an industrial comeback resonated in town. Mr. Trump carried the county by about 6 percentage points, a nearly 30-point swing toward Republicans since President Barack Obama won it decisively in 2012.

But the day after the election, General Motors announced that it would eliminate a third shift at the Lordstown plant. After years of strong sales, the Cruze was flagging as consumers defected to trucks and sport-utility vehicles.

Then, in April of this year, as the slump continued, the company said it was eliminating a second shift. The workers' last day coincided with news reports that the company would be building a popular S.U.V. in Mexico.

"It was terrible -- they announced that as people were walking out to their cars," said Dave Green, the president of the United Automobile Workers local in the area. "They turn on the radio, and they hear that G.M. is going to build the Blazer in Mexico."

Critics said Mr. Trump seemed oblivious to the plant's struggles despite his promise to workers there. "I had a conversation with him and he did not know about the first two shift layoffs," said Senator Sherrod Brown, an Ohio Democrat, who spoke with Mr. Trump by phone over the summer. "It shocked me."

Mr. Brown said that he had asked Mr. Trump to intervene personally with G.M.'s chief executive, Mary T. Barra, and that the president had been noncommittal. "He said, 'We'll see,'" Mr. Brown recalled. The White House declined to comment.

The notion that Mr. Trump is indifferent or ineffective in the face of factory job losses challenges the essence of his political appeal, and he has moved to counter that idea -- on Tuesday by threatening to take away G.M.'s government subsidies, and on Wednesday by calling for new tariffs on imported cars. At least some of the workers spurned by General Motors share Mr. Brown's feeling that the president could have done more for them.

Tommy Wolikow was laid off from the plant last year and said he became a Trump fan after attending the president's speech hailing the return of manufacturing jobs. "I felt he was speaking to me, and I believed him," said Mr. Wolikow, who didn't vote in 2016 but had planned to vote for Mr. Trump in 2020. "I took the man for his word."

But in recent months, Mr. Wolikow has concluded that the president wasn't interested in following through.

Mr. Wolikow, who now volunteers for the progressive group Good Jobs Nation, said that he and his fiancee, Rochelle Carlisle, together brought home around $100,000 a year when both worked at the plant in 2016, but that they now lived on her earnings as a waitress at Cracker Barrel. It brings in about $250 to $300 a week -- not enough to cover their mortgage and car payments, to say nothing of expenses for their three daughters.

Other workers continue to support the president, however. "What he had planned, it should have worked," said T.J. Lambert, a former G.M. worker in Lordstown who left the plant in late 2016. Of the corporate tax cut passed under Mr. Trump, he said: "The plan was to bring those jobs back, a one-time tax cut. He can't have control over what a corporation does 100 percent."

Ms. Olesky and Mr. Sickler, the current G.M. workers, have voted reliably Republican in recent years, but they are proud union members who say the labor movement is often the only protection the middle class has against corporate greed. "Without a union, people would be making $11 per hour," Ms. Olesky said. "Management gets as much as they can, and unions try to protect us."

Mr. Sickler noted in disbelief that the company would be laying off eight of his colleagues at the end of this week, even though it would cost little to allow them to stay on until the plant goes idle in March. "They're trying to run on a skeleton crew to save money," he said.

Kimberly Carpenter, a General Motors spokeswoman, said the layoffs were "just regular people movement due to people returning from leave."

Other Trump supporters simply refused to interpret Monday's announcement as a death sentence. They were heartened by Mr. Trump's confrontational comments toward Ms. Barra.

"I said, 'I heard you're closing your plant,'" Mr. Trump told The Wall Street Journal, relating their conversation. "'It's not going to be closed for long, I hope, Mary, because if it is, you have a problem.'"

Mayor Hill, a tall, barrel-chested man who worked for decades for a local automotive supplier, said he thought the odds were fair that the president would eventually save the plant, though he conceded it could take several months.

"People say, 'Trump promised us,'" Mr. Hill said. "Yes, he came here, told the people in the valley, 'Don't sell your house, we're going to bring your jobs back.' Well, you know, they made the announcement yesterday. How soon is soon enough?"

Even the NYT is putting this on GM rather than Trump.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22760 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But of course its GM .. that goes without saying, seriously. Trump is not responsible for the industrys manufacturing plants failure.

Trump is responsible for his rhetoric, his assurances that such will not happen with him as POTUS .. and guess what? It did happen on Trumps .. so called ... Watch.

Nevertheless.. those workers out of work now, may think twice before voting the Orangeman into office in 2020. There is always a reckoning .. and lie as you will .. people arent so stupid they dont remember things like this.

TF of course you did .. I expected no less and I will address some of your more imaginative assertions when I have the time. But I never doubted your taking your pro Trump stance .. could see it coming from a mile away.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheFallen

Male

18379 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
TF of course you did .. I expected no less and I will address some of your more imaginative assertions when I have the time. But I never doubted your taking your pro Trump stance .. could see it coming from a mile away.
Y'see I just don't buy into this "four legs good.... two legs bad" utterly polarised and simplistic sectarianism. In fact, I lament its existence in the first place. However, I'll await your reply with interest, Sky. Three suggestions though.

1. Don't take anyone having an apparent counter-opinion so personally. That way lies self-imposed martyrdom and victimhood, neither of which are worthwhile or attractive qualities.

2. Are you quite sure I'm dyed in the wool pro-Trump? I've certainly laid out reasons for his continuing appeal to enough of the US electorate - and I'll stand by my previous claim that, if I had had the right to vote in the US election back 2 years ago, I'd probably have picked Donald over Hillary on a lesser of two evils basis. Even so, try a careful re-read.

3. "Imaginative assertions"? Quite the reverse, I believe I took a brutally clinical and pragmatic view of Trump - and again, looked to explain and justify his ongoing appeal to a huge swathe of US voters by attempting to put myself in their shoes and see things from their point of view. And from that standpoint, I can see clear justification for such support.

Devil's advocacy. Try it - it's often illuminating in helping to explain things that might otherwise mystify.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

22760 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallen wrote:
Skyweir wrote:
I'll await your reply with interest, Sky. Three suggestions though.

1. Don't take anyone having an apparent counter-opinion so personally.That way lies self-imposed martyrdom and victimhood, neither of which are attractive qualities.

Never have, never will.

I am highly experienced with counter opinion here Wink .. we are all equally entitled to our opinions, no? Its a rare day when all see things as I do, well at least in the Tank 😎 But nice try 😉 ... deflection noted 😎 and summarily dismissed. Razz

The only thing I ever take personally is unnecessary offensive rhetoric .. if it is directed unfairly at a third party .. I will rebut it, because I dislike outright offensive behaviour. If its directed at me, again I will rebut it, if it can be rebutted .. and if not, and I feel its a fair call or appraisal of my fine self ... I will accept and acknowledge it. Thats how I roll 😉.

But like everyone who does, I speak honestly and call a spade ♠️ a spade ♠️ unless I am convinced otherwise.

TF wrote:
2. Are you quite sure I'm dyed in the wool pro-Trump? I've certainly laid out reasons for his continuing appeal to enough of the US electorate - and I'll stand by my previous claim that, if I had had the right to vote in the US election back 2 years ago, I'd probably have picked Donald over Hillary on a lesser of two evils basis. Even so, try a careful re-read.
Yes. I know from some comments that you arent a fan of some of Trumps international policies where there is a negative impact on the UK. No one could reasonably fault you for that. My view of your post is not based on those things

TF wrote:
3. "Imaginative assertions"? Quite the reverse, I believe I took a brutally clinical and pragmatic view of Trump - and again, looked to explain and justify his ongoing appeal to US voters by attempting to put myself in their shoes. Try it - it's often illuminating.
Im sure you or some of you believes that.

To experiment with empathy .. you have to be able to put yourself in a cross section of views. Its arguably admirable ... that you can empathise with the pro Trump base. Perhaps try expanding your reach to encompass perhaps with the non pro Trump base.

I mean you undermine your argument with an immediate comparison to Obama and Clinton. Not relevant to an current assessment of the caliber or not of Trump himself.

But I shall return perhaps tonight when I have my computer with me and can do justice to my reply.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

66567 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how GM repays the country which graciously gave it a generous government bailout during the Obama Administration, by moving production to Mexico?

I despise economic vampirism.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22760 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As do I Hashi 😔

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

66567 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Trump and Xi Jinping held some trade talks over the weekend, Trump is now saying that China has agreed to reduce and/or remove some of the tariffs on American-made cars bound for China; the current tariff stands at 40%; all auto manufacturer stocks are up based on this news. The better news is that there appears to be a "cease fire" in the current trade war we have with China, which should help ease some negative pressure in other sectors.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

3333 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw China. They are going to sit back and then say they didn't agree to anything.
Keep up the pressure and get what is fair and right.
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

66567 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily disagree. China's economy has slowed and some of its cities are still plagued with the worst air quality in the world. They can no longer afford to sit back and rely on the size of their customer base to be their biggest bargaining chip.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22760 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/419642-nebraska-farm-bureau-says-trade-conflicts-cost-state-up-to-1%3famp

Quote:
A new report from the Nebraska Farm Bureau estimates that President Trump's trade conflicts have cost the state's farmers as much as $1 billion.

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

3333 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most farm produce that is used for trade(soybean,corn,legumes as such)
can be stored for years and sold later. By that time the market can find new buyers willing to get the product.
But the business is a now market and not really long term.
New school fools at it this time.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22760 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell that to your growers 😉 as they manage their losses.

Growers want to move harvest yields for obvious financial reasons .. not store them for indefinite periods.

If you have cooperatives in the US such tactics might arguably be tennable. But the costs involved in planting, managing and harvesting are often offset by the value revived from their yield, especially in the case of small farming interests.

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

3333 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The farmer do not trade.. They sell to the exporters.
If a crop doesn't sell well enough they will change the crop to where it is in demand.
If you believe the stigma of the big old dumb farmer I got some bridges and
beach front property to sell. They know what will sell worldwide and who's going to buy it. The problem is a tariff just add costs to a commodity at the buyers end. The seller doesn't pay tariffs. And for China.. soybeans is a
product they can't get enough of. So when they have shortages for a year because they are being taxed by their own government and they can't produce enough domestically then problems arise for the government.

Soybeans sell very well and it is a crop that is mass produced and it keeps
it market share. Corn not so much because Europeans and Asians don't eat corn the way people in the US do. Many consider a feed crop.
It holding back these products by the US gov that would cause a real loss.

Everybody needs food.. you can't live without it.

Wheat top producers
EU, China, India,Russia, US, Canada
US is at 42% of China.(126MT) that's allot of bread or pasta if you want that.
Corn
US, China, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Ukraine
Problem with corn is that you need to rotate them out every year.
Soybean
US, Brazil, Argentina, China,India, Paraguay.
US and Brazil produce over 50% of the world's soybeans consumed.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22760 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ur Dead wrote:
The farmer do not trade.. They sell to the exporters.
Didnt say they did _
They sell and if there is no market for their yield they lose. Which is what this scenario is all about .. and why US farmers are complaining. Ur Dead, trade wars work as well as trickle down economics.

Ur wrote:
If a crop doesn't sell well enough they will change the crop to where it is in demand.

Likely a crop change is a bit premature... its unlikely that this one market failure, which is caused by Trumps trade war, would precipitate any sensible farmer to change crop type. Crop changes occur when theres a actual change in demand. This is not what has happened here. And we are stalking staple crops, not niche crops anyway. They may have to change occupation if things continue, but hopefully this represents one bump in their road that is addressed.

Ur wrote:
If you believe the stigma of the big old dumb farmer I got some bridges and beach front property to sell.
What has a stigmatising growers got to do with this dialogue? Ive not used it. Im farming stock, so no stigmatising myself? 😂

Ur wrote:
They know what will sell worldwide and who's going to buy it. The problem is a tariff just add costs to a commodity at the buyers end.
yep staying informed .. has led them here ... try as you might, Id like to you forecast a US trade war before planting?

Ur wrote:
The seller doesn't pay tariffs.

Yeah Duh 🤦‍♀️

Never said they did, .... what I have said is that US farmers are complaining of losses BECAUSE of the Trumps trade war.

Ur wrote:
And for China.. soybeans is a product they can't get enough of.
You dont seriously imagine that the the US and the only market the supplies soya. China will simply get what they want from someone else. I know we grow soya

Ur wrote:
Soybeans sell very well and it is a crop that is mass produced and it keeps it market share. Corn not so much because Europeans and Asians don't eat corn the way people in the US do. Many consider a feed crop.
It holding back these products by the US gov that would cause a real loss.
interesting insight into the US agricultural market. Cheers.

Everybody needs food.. you can't live without it.

Yup will you look at that.... your figures demonstrate the very reason US farmers are pissed. Though I suspect they not be completely accurate.

Wheat top producers
EU, China, India,Russia, US, Canada
US is at 42% of China.(126MT) that's allot of bread or pasta if you want that.[/quote]
Yes it IS a lot .. arguably across all crops losses facing them are to the tune of USD1 billion

Ur wrote:
Corn
US, China, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Ukraine
Problem with corn is that you need to rotate them out every year.
Soybean
US, Brazil, Argentina, China,India, Paraguay.
US and Brazil produce over 50% of the world's soybeans consumed.

Mmm... so China has about 75% of non US growers to enter into another soya trade deals with. That again is what US farmers are complaining about. You could just read the article

Last edited by Skyweir on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Male

5940 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Trump's Team Considers Removing Mike Pence from 2020 Ticket

Quote:

President Donald Trump and his advisers are weighing whether Vice President Mike Pence should remain on the 2020 ticket amid concerns about Pence's viability as a galvanizing force for a president in political turmoil.

"He [Pence] doesn't detract from it, but he doesn't add anything either," says one source with knowledge about the meeting who says that a team of advisers presented Trump with new polling data which indicates, as Vanity Fair put it, that Pence does not "expand Trump's coalition."

Another source, this one a veteran of Trump's 2016 campaign, noted that the president has not spent as much time focusing on re-election in 2020 as he should.

"What he needs to do is consider his team for 2020 and make sure it's in place," the adviser said. "He has to have people on his team that are loyal to his agenda."

[...]

The [New York] Times quoted Dan Pfeiffer, a former communications director for President Barack Obama who says such lines of questioning are common during re-election cycles.

"The idea of changing a ticket has been discussed by at least some aides in every White House and it almost never happens," Pfeiffer said. He added: "I would also say the electoral significance of the vice-presidential nominee is one of the most overrated things in U.S. politics, particularly in a re-election, which is almost always a referendum on the performance of the president. Changing the No. 2 is not going to change that."

Neither Pence nor the White House has commented on speculation that he might have used up his utility with the Trump administration. In recent days, Pence has praised the late George H.W. Bush, who died last week at 94, saying he set "the standard for vice presidents."

TheFallen

Male

18379 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wosbald's posted article wrote:
In recent days, Pence has praised the late George H.W. Bush, who died last week at 94, saying he set "the standard for vice presidents."
I'm absolutely sure I'm not the only person who had to read that at least twice to make any sense of it.

GHWB may have been an excellent VP to Raygun Ronnie - but he certainly set a completely different standard for vice presidents when having become POTUS himself, he then hand-picked Dan "potatoe" Quayle to be his VP...

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

66567 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were Mike Pence, or at least one of his close advisors, I would be happy not to be Trump's running mate in 2020. At this point, I would take "Vice President of the United States" as the crowning jewel of my resume and step aside rather than continue to anchor myself to a sinking ship.

The Trump Administration asked Canadian officials to detain Meng Wanzhou, CFO of Huawei; the charges have not been made official just yet but last year American authorities were looking into Huawei violating sanctions against Iran. Huawei is a very large and bery prominent telecommunications firm in China--their version of Apple, basically.

Major stock indices are all down--sharply--on news of her arrest over fears this will start another trade war with China.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
TheFallen

Male

18379 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't think Trump's going to walk it in 2020, Hashi? I'm seriously surprised...

I absolutely agree that Mike Pence should step aside and announce that he's "retiring" from the position of VP, come 2020 - before he's shoved aside on the advice of some pollsters busily trying to correlate demographic figures and decide how best to try to maximise upon voter appeal.

But I can't see any signs of the Trump admin being a sinking ship? (And bear in mind I say that as no particular fan of The Donald).

Plus - as much discussed here - who the Hell do the Dems have to put up against him? Let alone the fact that they apparently have no policies or manifesto, apart from a tired, banal, pantomimesque - and very probably counter-productive - "Donald is the Antichrist!" platform.

PS on the Huawei story, BT (British Telecom, the dominant telecomms infrastructure owner in the UK) is now also busily removing Huawei hardware from core parts of its mobile EE network, to match up with its policy on its landline infrastructure.

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

66567 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I am firmly convinced that if Trump runs in 2020 he will lose because far too many "anti Trump" people will have been whipped into a frenzy, turning out to vote him out of office.

Half of Republicans still only tolerate Trump. They will grudgingly vote for him while holding their nose, but they won't like it.

Truthfully, the Democrats are going to pin their hopes on Robert Francis; as evidence of this there are some who are already comparing him to RFK and Barack. Yes, there are many who would prefer Kamala Harris or even Hillary Clinton, but they will go with him based on his performance against Ted Cruz. Democrats don't run on policy; instead, they run on personality as well as whether or not a candidate is telegenic.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 88 of 89

Jump to: