Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmers pulling away from supporting Trump?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

15040 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Farmers pulling away from supporting Trump? Reply with quote

Sounds like the trade war with China is undermining Trump's support among Midwestern farmers. These guys were big supporters of Trump in 2016, and now he's screwing them over.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/06/farm-crisis-trump-trade-policies-1147987

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

http://www.hearth-myth.com/
Zarathustra
Be True

22992 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no evidence in the article that farmers are pulling away from Trump. There was one political scientist who speculated that the current trends will be bad for Trump.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

15040 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted that no farmer actually came out and said baldly that they're sorry they supported Trump -- in this article.

But his trade policies are definitely hurting agriculture. Soybean farmers have been rumbling for months that they may not vote for him again.
https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/398773-soybean-farmer-group-president-i-may-not-support-trump-again-in-2020

Wheat growers aren't happy, either:
Quote:
Gordon Stoner, a Montana wheat grower who is the immediate past president of the National Association of Wheat Growers, also says that President Trump's actions on trade are causing anxiety for farmers.

"As Trump's rhetoric becomes a reality, rural America is coming to realize the potential economic impact on their checkbook and may vote accordingly in future elections. Ag depends on robust export markets, and the President's actions in the trade arena are damaging ag."

link

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Nanothnir
Banned

1980 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Opens thread*

*Sees who OP is*

*Promptly closes thread*

*Laughs*

aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

15040 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanothnir wrote:
*Opens thread*

*Sees who OP is*

*Promptly closes thread*

*Laughs*

You didn't have to open the thread to see who the OP was. But you came in here anyway to poop all over my post.

Nice job. Rolling Eyes Enjoy life in your little bubble.

EZ Board Survivor

SoulBiter
State of Confusion

Ranyhyn

15740 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are fickle and have short memories. This trade thing could be over long before elections. Nothing the Dems have offered will help the poor or middle class. Taking money from the rich wont help those that are less rich one bit. As we continue to point out, the economy is not zero sum. Just because I make more money than some others, does not make them poorer. Just as taking more of what I make, doesnt make them any richer.

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "**

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
[Syl]
Embattred

3390 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanothnir wrote:
*Opens thread*

*Sees who OP is*

*Promptly closes thread*

*Laughs*

Intellectual giant right here. Slow day on 4chan?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.
-George Steiner
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

15040 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Syl] wrote:
Nanothnir wrote:
*Opens thread*

*Sees who OP is*

*Promptly closes thread*

*Laughs*

That's what I'm thinking.

EZ Board Survivor

aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

15040 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:
Nothing the Dems have offered will help the poor or middle class. Taking money from the rich wont help those that are less rich one bit. As we continue to point out, the economy is not zero sum. Just because I make more money than some others, does not make them poorer. Just as taking more of what I make, doesnt make them any richer.

Did I say anything in my initial post about taking money from the rich?

I said it's being reported that Trump's support among farmers is softening. I'm baffled about how you got from that to "taking my money won't make poor people any better off."

Sure, people's memories are short and we're still a pretty long way from the next election. But farmers basically have two growing seasons between now and then. Trump's not doing himself any favors by ramping up his trade wars if he hopes to keep his job.

EZ Board Survivor

Don Exnihilote
Knight errant

Male

9078 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumpf is finally finished, and this time it's for real.

"It is not the responsibility of knights errant to discover whether the afflicted, the enchained and the oppressed whom they encounter on the road are reduced to these circumstances and suffer this distress for their vices, or for their virtues: the knight's sole responsibility is to succour them as people in need, having eyes only for their sufferings, not for their misdeeds." - Don Quixote

*The poster formerly known as Exnihilo, Exnihilo2, Exnihilotto, Ron Burgunihilo, Mongnihilo, Doc Hexnihilo, and counting...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

24064 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the whole "trade war" thing was getting re-looked at? And at the very least winding down?

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

25950 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US farming has already taken a hit .. as Ali says there is a swing away from Trump at least will remain this way so long as they continue getting hit.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoulBiter
State of Confusion

Ranyhyn

15740 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:
SoulBiter wrote:
Nothing the Dems have offered will help the poor or middle class. Taking money from the rich wont help those that are less rich one bit. As we continue to point out, the economy is not zero sum. Just because I make more money than some others, does not make them poorer. Just as taking more of what I make, doesnt make them any richer.

Did I say anything in my initial post about taking money from the rich?

I said it's being reported that Trump's support among farmers is softening. I'm baffled about how you got from that to "taking my money won't make poor people any richer

Because there has to be an alternative and so far nothing the Dems have said is an alternative.

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "**

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

SoulBiter
State of Confusion

Ranyhyn

15740 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
US farming has already taken a hit .. as Ali says there is a swing away from Trump at least will remain this way so long as they continue getting hit.

I looked at a dozen or so recent articles and although the farmers have complained about the hit to their bottom line, they are still saying that they would still support and vote Republican.

There is a disconnect between the negative effect of Trumps policies on his voters in farm country and their unwavering support for him.

Zarathustra
Be True

22992 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:
[Syl] wrote:
Nanothnir wrote:
*Opens thread*

*Sees who OP is*

*Promptly closes thread*

*Laughs*

That's what I'm thinking.

So attacking people's intelligence is ok as long as it's not Cail? Or aimed at a conservative? Just trying understand the rules in the new and improved Tank . . .
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7628 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, Trump's policies on illegal immigration would hurt farming far more then the current trade war, and they don't really care.

So, the principle idea is that farmers would support/not support Trump based on how hard their wallets are hit. But there are various other expenses aside from selling crops, such as property tax. Farm owners would probably gladly sell a bit less if they get bigger value in cut property taxes.

There's also all those regulations for health that farms tend not to ever want to implement due to cost (it's hard telling foreign workers to harvest crop! How dare the gummit cut into their bottomline in the name of "health"!). Republicans in their eternal insanity offer the tax cuts and the deregulation that make farm owners salivate like a single-celled ocean organism over a Krabby Patty.

And then there's the fact that the government will, as a policy and for various reasons, buy up crops any way. Farms do not really struggle as you might think they would, but you better believe they will raise prices anyway.

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
[Syl]
Embattred

3390 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm attacking the intelligence displayed in the post, which was quite literally nothing but a potshot at another Watcher. If you can dish it out...

I'll take a ban for it, but I doubt it's forthcoming. And really, it's pretty well in line with what I've seen of conservatives' incessant sniping at the left in the Tank. Off the top of my head, there's "Your naivete is stunning" from you a couple weeks back. Did you get banned and I missed it? But sure, you probably just meant something like 'displays a lack of experience or education' and weren't bandying it about to be abusive, eh? Likewise, all I'm saying is that was not an intellectually rigorous post by any means and is beneath this site. Y'all have had a 'nice' left for too long, I think. You can cry about it, or you can police yourselves.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.
-George Steiner
SoulBiter
State of Confusion

Ranyhyn

15740 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you could have just left it at "I was addressing the snipe taken at another watcher" and left it at that. The rest of that was fairly uncalled for.

conservatives' incessant sniping at the left in the Tank.

Y'all have had a 'nice' left for too long, I think. You can cry about it, or you can police yourselves.

Well its nice to know where you stand around here. So as payback for perceived crimes against the "Nice" left and incessant sniping at the same "left", those of us on the right are relegated to becoming second hand Tank citizens. Allowed to post only at the goodwill and in the manner allowed by those that feel that they were maligned in some past posting. Any complaints by said "right" are met with disdain and cries of "Boo Hoo you bad boys"

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Zarathustra
Be True

22992 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No crying here, Syl. lol. I'm the one who thinks we should be able to say what we want, remember? I just think it's ironic those who made such a Big. Damn. Deal. about personal attacks just a little while back are doing it themselves.

Don Exnihilote
Knight errant

Male

9078 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Syl] wrote:
I'm attacking the intelligence displayed in the post, which was quite literally nothing but a potshot at another Watcher. If you can dish it out...

I'll take a ban for it, but I doubt it's forthcoming. And really, it's pretty well in line with what I've seen of conservatives' incessant sniping at the left in the Tank. Off the top of my head, there's "Your naivete is stunning" from you a couple weeks back. Did you get banned and I missed it? But sure, you probably just meant something like 'displays a lack of experience or education' and weren't bandying it about to be abusive, eh? Likewise, all I'm saying is that was not an intellectually rigorous post by any means and is beneath this site. Y'all have had a 'nice' left for too long, I think. You can cry about it, or you can police yourselves.

Syl, you can hate conservatives en banc if you like, but please don't insult our intelligence or our ability to comprehend English. It's perfectly clear that you were alluding to the quality of an individual rather than the quality of a post. If you were trying to articulate something different then you should attempt to remediate the sudden onset of a wholly incongruous inability to articulate yourself.

By the way, I'm not saying that the post you were quoting wasn't of a similar type either. But this kind of quibbling recrimination is beneath you. I hope.

"It is not the responsibility of knights errant to discover whether the afflicted, the enchained and the oppressed whom they encounter on the road are reduced to these circumstances and suffer this distress for their vices, or for their virtues: the knight's sole responsibility is to succour them as people in need, having eyes only for their sufferings, not for their misdeeds." - Don Quixote

*The poster formerly known as Exnihilo, Exnihilo2, Exnihilotto, Ron Burgunihilo, Mongnihilo, Doc Hexnihilo, and counting...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: