Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has the Internet Made the World a Better Place?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

43715 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, the "inventor of the internet", Tim Berners-Lee, was celebrated on Google last week. The 30th anniversary of the World Wide Web.

He's not to happy about it's current state.

Quote:
The World Wide Web is 30 years old tomorrow. A day earlier, its founder, English engineer and computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee, first proposed the system that would become the WWW on March 11th, 1989. To acknowledge the anniversary, he's revisited his ideas about the internet in a new letter published today.

Berners-Lee admits that the internet now has a lot of problems. Users are plagued by online harassment, state-sponsored hacks, and other criminal behavior. Ad-based revenue models reward clickbait, while there is a constant viral spread of fake news. And even though they can be rewarding, social media platforms have also become home to political outrage and polarizing conversations.

Still, Berners-Lee is hopeful about humans' and systems' capacity to improve. He says:
Quote:
But given how much the web has changed in the past 30 years, it would be defeatist and unimaginative to assume that the web as we know it can't be changed for the better in the next 30. If we give up on building a better web now, then the web will not have failed us. We will have failed the web.
[link]

Even it's inventor is worried about how much bad has come with the good.

Time to recognize it. Or else it won't get fixed.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda for which this forum has become a platform.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

28817 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed that it needs recognition, acknowledgement TO be addressed, remedied, improved.

Surely the risks of abuse and exploitation the WWW would face.

I liked the Berners-Lee quote .. that it can be improved and .. tbh the scrapping of the WWW would not be an effective addressing of the issues, given the costs of rebuilta better model. No need to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

Particularly given that the problems facing the WWW are all human. And as humans are the primary users 😉 such problems arent just going to go away unless humans change the way they interface with the interwebz Razz

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Immanentizing The Eschaton

24854 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, I think trying to "fix" it will also impact a lot of the good too.

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

28817 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is likely an inevitability.

Hard to make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Close All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: