Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Next Phase of Immigration Reform
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

68749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
Do you have any evidence of that? Im genuinely curious.

Their recent history of issuing stays against many of the things the Trump Administration has tried to do.

The truth points to itself.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

28817 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm.. does it though? 🤔

I mean it might 🤷‍♀️ .. but it would bare out in the context, the facts and the legal principles used in each ruling, no?

I mean the legal rationale would explain their process. And Id think politics and bias wouldnt defensible justification make 🤔

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

68749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You place far more faith in the ability of judges to put themselves above politics than I do.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

28817 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be true .. ☺️

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Male

6801 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Intra-Thread Trackback: pg 95

New location found for migrant respite center in Brownsville Diocese

Quote:

The McAllen, Texas, respite center for immigrants run by Catholic Charities is pictured July 1, 2018. The Valley Catholic, Brownsville's diocesan newspaper, reported that Sister Pimentel announced Feb. 26 she had found a new home for the respite center. (Credit: CNS photo/Chaz Muth)

MCALLEN, Texas -- A popular Catholic-administered respite center for migrants run by Sister Norma Pimentel, executive director of Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley in the Brownsville Diocese, has found a new location.

McAllen city commissioners had voted Feb. 11 to give the center 90 days to vacate the building it was using to provide temporary shelter for immigrants who cross from Mexico into the United States but who have been released by federal authorities.

The Valley Catholic, Brownsville's diocesan newspaper, reported that Pimentel announced Feb. 26 she had found a new home for the respite center.

Plans had called for construction of a news facility, but Catholic Charities is "taking a new direction," the paper reported. The agency is close to finalizing a plan "with the cooperation of the city for a building in downtown McAllen closer to the bus station," where many migrants first arrive to the area.

[...]

The original respite center in the area began in 2014, when Pimentel saw an influx of immigrants arriving in the Rio Grande Valley region and with local volunteers, she began a makeshift operation to help the migrants obtain clothes and food. Out of a property that belonged to the local Sacred Heart Church, they began clothing and feeding the newcomers.

Since then, respite centers at various temporary locations have helped thousands of migrants, many seeking asylum and passing through the border city, have access to a shower after a harrowing trip, a clean change of clothes, a quick medical exam, if they need it, a warm meal and sometimes a snack for the road. Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley is raising funds to build a permanent facility.

"Our mission remains unchanged -- to restore and recognize the human dignity of all vulnerable people -- throughout our community including those seeking asylum," Pimentel, a member of the Missionaries of Jesus, said in her statement issued following the commissioners' decision.

Wosbald

Male

6801 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Bill would make it illegal for landlords to rent to undocumented immigrants in Tennessee

Quote:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A bill introduced in the Tennessee House of Representatives would make it illegal for landlords to provide housing for undocumented immigrants.

The bill, House Bill 614, was introduced in February by Rep. Bruce Griffey (R-Paris). The bill would fine landlords for breaking the law and multiple offenders would be charged with a felony.

The bill was referred to the Commerce Committee on Tuesday.

House Bill 614 is just one of a number of bills introduced by Griffey aimed at curbing immigration. He's also introduced House Bill 1238, which would require courts to notify Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) if a person charged with a crime is an undocumented immigrant.

Griffey has also introduced House Bill 0662, which requires that birth certificates display the citizenship of parents, in the event that the Supreme Court ever overturns birthright citizenship. Currently, birthright citizenship is protected by the 14th Amedment to the Constitution.

"These were campaign promises I made was to fight for Tennesseans, the workers of Tennessee that are down at the bottom of the economic scale," Griffey said. "I believe, everyone recognizes, the people down at the bottom of the economic scale, if we can increase their wages, everyone else in the economy on up will benefit from that."

Opponents of these bills said they harm Tennesseans and create an environment where it's impossible for undocumented immigrants to live in Tennessee.

[...]

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

68749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How, exactly, does Rep. Griffey propose to check out the people who might be renting a house from me? Don't I have the right to rent to anyone I please? The house does belong to me, after all, not the State.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

26701 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
How, exactly, does Rep. Griffey propose to check out the people who might be renting a house from me? Don't I have the right to rent to anyone I please? The house does belong to me, after all, not the State.

how is Rep. Griffey gonna check out the people you may be employing? Don't you have the right to hire anyone you please? The business does belong to you after all, not the state. Evil Foul

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Skyweir
Lord of Light

28817 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

But I dont see this as that much different from it being illegal to employ illegal immigrants. Here that is the case.

If they lack documentation that would be indicative that they are illegal immigrants, of course.

Why would anyone want to rent property to an illegal immigrant? Why would anyone want to offer paid work to an illegal immigrant?

Illegal immigrants dont offer financial certainty that as a rentor you would surely need.

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

4051 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Don't I have the right to rent to anyone I please? The house does belong to me, after all, not the State.

Correct on the latter.
The law seems redundant. But the so called "undocumented immigrants"
are not label correctly.. Try criminal foreign nationals or illegal aliens.
By rights, if you are renting to them you are aiding and abetting a criminal element.
Obstructing justice, and harboring. But only if you know the person(s) were illegally in the country.

The proposal seems to close that loophole. Forces the landlord to make sure
the people are legal.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

28817 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also agree with your last para

That to me, is precisely the objective

Immanentizing The Eschaton

24854 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as we've said before, one of the only ways to reduce illegal immigration, is to stop making it beneficial for people to enter illegally. Clamp down on hiring illegals etc. and the problem will solve itself.

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

28817 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree.

Wosbald

Male

6801 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

USCCB migration chairman, head of CRS oppose 'Remain in Mexico' policy

Quote:

Central American migrants wait while their asylum requests are processed at a shelter in Tijuana, Mexico, Feb. 19, 2019. In a March 4 statement, Bishop Joe S. Vásquez of Austin, Texas, chairman of the U.S. bishops' Committee on Migration, and Sean Callahan, president and CEO of Catholic Relief Services, say they oppose the U.S. policy requiring asylum-seekers to remain in Mexico while waiting to access protection in the United States. (Credit: Jorge Duenes/Reuters via CNS.)

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The chairman of the U.S. bishops' migration committee and the president and CEO of Catholic Relief Services March 13 joined Texas and Mexico bishops in opposing the U.S. policy of sending asylum-seekers back to Mexico while they wait for court proceedings.

"We urge the (Trump) administration to reverse this policy, which needlessly increases the suffering of the most vulnerable and violates international protocols," said Bishop Joe S. Vásquez of Austin, Texas, chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' Committee on Migration, and Sean Callahan of CRS, the U.S. bishops' overseas relief and development agency.

"We steadfastly affirm a person's right to seek asylum and find recent efforts to curtail and deter that right deeply troubling," they said. "We must look beyond our borders; families are escaping extreme violence and poverty at home and are fleeing for their lives."

[...]

In their statement, Vásquez and Callahan said CRS staff and the agency's partners in Central America "witness the suffering there and fight against it."

"Our government must adopt policies and provide more funding that addresses root causes of migration and promote human dignity and sustainable livelihoods," they said. "Like the Texas-Mexico border bishops, we recommit to Pope Francis's call to welcome, protect, promote and integrate our immigrant brothers and sisters in Christ."

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

4051 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the chairman of the U.S. bishops' migration committee and the president and CEO of Catholic Relief Services along with Texas and Mexico bishops should personally pay for the aliens care until after their case is heard because of the massive backlog cases still pending.

They won't find it so tasty for people who jumps lines.
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

68749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawedge Rim wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

how is Rep. Griffey gonna check out the people you may be employing? Don't you have the right to hire anyone you please? The business does belong to you after all, not the state. Evil Foul

Exactly--there won't be any way to enforce the law. There are all sorts of e-verify laws in various States but you know that many businesses still hire people under the radar and pay them cash so no one has to report anything.

What if I don't rent the house? What if I just let people stay there and they pay me cash each week? As long as I pay the property taxes it isn't anyone's business who I let stay there. Note: I disagree with fostering illegal immigration, but personal property rights are more valuable to me than immigration laws.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

28817 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguably

However, that IS the law here re employment. I take your point however, I just dont agree with it. If you are serious about addressing illegal immigration, you cant encourage it by employing illegal immigrants and renting to illegal immigrants. It seems oxymoronic to want one thing and then fight against efforts to facilitate what you want.

Employing illegal immigrants is arguably significantly cheaper than paying US citizens to fulfill the same roles. Nevertheless, it provides illegals with an income, supports their ability to live, survive and even prosper as illegals.

And I would contend makes you complicit in the illegality and an enabler of their illegal presence.

The renting scenario is the same imv. Sure its your property .. but there are laws that exist that regulate the relationship between property owner and tenant. This is no different.

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

4051 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that proposal becomes a law.. Well that can get a bit tricky.
Lets say you rent to illegals and after a while that thing becomes law.
Then suddenly the illegals stop paying rent and freeloads?
Well now the haggis is in the fire..
Trying to evict them either by court order or reporting them to ICE will most
probably get them out. But now your butt is in hot water....

The illegal problem is more of a tax issue then people problem. As long as
Congress gets their cut, well they are not and so it becomes a people
problem. If the taxes were paid then it would cost the employer more money to hire illegals. And why should they do that...
Skyweir
Lord of Light

28817 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a plus.

Call ICE remove the problem.. your not in hot water .. you just got out of it.

I think that is a circular argument... Its hardly about taxes. Yes government is about the coffers, but laws against employing illegals isnt a means to secure revenue. An illegal cant secure legal employment period.. so no promise of the acquisition of revenue period.

As to renting .. simply require as you would anyway .. require proof ID, references, evidence of employment... here these are standard requirements for anyone applying for a rental property.

One does these things to gain an assurance of the financial capability of the applicant .. to furnish the ongoing rental commitment, at the least to show they are capable of paying the rent for the duration of the rental contract.

Wosbald

Male

6801 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Bishops' migration chair urges House pass new bill to protect 'Dreamers'

Quote:

Members of the Border Network for Human Rights and Borders Dreamers and Youth Alliance hold a banner during a protest outside a U.S. Federal Courthouse in El Paso, Texas to demand that Congress pass a "clean" DREAM Act to save the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. (Credit: Jose Luis Gonzalez/Reuters via CNS)

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' Committee on Migration March 15 endorsed the American Dream and Promise Act of 2019, which would provide equal protection and a pathway to citizenship for qualifying "Dreamers" and those covered by the Temporary Protected Status and Deferred Enforced Departure programs.

"We need a permanent legislative solution for those who have spent their lives contributing and living in the United States, the country they know as home," said Bishop Joe S. Vásquez of Austin, Texas, who is the committee's chairman.

"Dreamers and TPS holders are vital members of our community who are going to school, working to make our communities better and raising families," he said in a letter to House members. "They have lived in limbo for far too long and now is the time for a solution."

[...]

The American Dream and Promise Act, or H.R. 6, was introduced in Congress March 12 and it builds on the DREAM Act, according to its many co-sponsors. It offers qualifying young people "permanent resident status on a conditional basis" and a path to full lawful permanent residency and eventual citizenship.

Additionally, H.R. 6 provides lawful permanent resident status for eligible individuals from countries designated for TPS or DED as of 2016 and who have been living in the U.S. for at least three years.

The American Dream and Promise Act of 2019 also amends current TPS law to require the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security to provide a detailed explanation of a decision to terminate a TPS designation, including a report to Congress three days after publishing a notice of such termination.

"My brother bishops and I believe in protecting the dignity of every human being, particularly that of our children and families," Vásquez said in his letter. "The Catholic bishops have long supported Dreamers and TPS holders, as well as their families."

"We recognize and admire these individuals as contributors to our economy, academic standouts in our universities, and leaders in our parishes. It is both our moral duty and in our nation's best interest to protect them and allow them to reach their full God-given potential."

For these reasons, he said, he was calling on House members to support and co-sponsor H.R. 6 if they have not already done so. He thanked those who were already supporting and/or co-sponsoring the measure.

"We also urge you to continue to work toward the larger legislative reform of our immigration laws that our country so desperately needs," Vásquez said adding that the USCCB's migration committee "stands ready to work with Congress to reform our immigration system in a humane, just and common-sense manner."

[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 97 of 99

Jump to: