Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Carb...at Menolly's request
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menolly
Gravin Threndor, how I love thee.

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
148524 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD's birthday was on Monday. Since his favorite dessert is tiramisu, I made this low carb version for him.

Here's an autopsy shot.

Lord of Light

30845 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing autopsy shot 😂

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Menolly

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe I found what I want as my birthday cake next month.

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinner for New Year's Day was reverse seared standing rib roast, au jus made from the roast drippings and cabernet sauvignon, low carb Yorkshire pudding, steamed broccoli, low carb Arby's copycat Horsey sauce, and UF Kr-shna lunch almond salad dressing as a sauce for the broccoli.

Dessert was low carb chocolate fudge brownie ice cream with sliced strawberries and sugar free whipped cream.

A good start to the year.

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing forward the discussion on my surgery from Gen Dis, since this is more food focused...

Was allowed solid food last night, so went 48 hours between full fasting, IV fluids, and a liquid diet. Keto-wise, I would say I went a little overboard for dinner. I had mushroom bisque, a side garden salad of field greens, cherry tomatoes, and a broccoli florets with blue cheese dressing, a small grilled rockfish filet, steamed green beans, and sauteed spinach. Unsweetened iced tea to drink.

The mushroom bisque was the highest carbs at 11 total, but I really wanted to start my meal with it.

Then I blew it by having no sugar added chocolate pudding. The hospital menu says that alone had 15 total grams. But again, I really wanted it, after having not eaten.

For a snack later, I had one of the coconut flour blueberry muffins I baked this weekend to bring to the hospital.

Breakfast I did much better. Usually I IF from 10:00 to 1:00, but decided since I'm healing not to worry about that. I had three over easy eggs, two strips of bacon, and about 5 oz of cottage cheese.

Followed that with a couple of the mini frosted chocolate almond flour doughnettes I made this weekend for the hospital stay with coffee.
Terrible brewed coffee, but welcome after going two days without.

Currently nicely satiated, but OT is expected soon to teach me how to get up out of bed and walking the halls and some stairs, since I'm not allowed to use my arms or stomach to get up for the next month. I suspect after two and a half days in bed, I'll work up an appetite for lunch.

If all goes well, I'll be moved from ICU to a regular room later today, and if all goes really well, may even be discharged tomorrow.

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The holiday of Purim is starting Wednesday night. Traditionally, hamantaschen are made, little three cornered cookies with poppy seed or prune filling.

I found a receipt for low carb hamentaschen I'm going to try tomorrow. I'll make some with the listed poppy seed filling, but I'm going to experiment and make a batch of each of the following and fill some with these as well.

Raspberry Chia Jam
Low Carb Almond Cheese Danish (I'm only making the filling, and maybe the frosting, from these)
Keto Nutella Hazelnut Spread

Hopefully, they'll turn out decent.

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased.

It took me six hours to get the four different kinds made. But, I'm happy with how they turned out.

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made gnom-gnom's ultimate keto chocolate cake for Game Night.

Lord of Light

30845 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks amazing but you cant post fabulous pics of a delightful chockie cake and NOT post the recipe.

I want to eat this great beast of a cake. Are they blackberries?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Menolly

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, sky. After I posted the photos, I went back to edit in some comments and kept getting the bad symbol error, even after I ran it through the website. Frustrated, I walked away.

You can find the recipe at:
https://www.gnom-gnom.com/paleo-keto-chocolate-cake/

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to post my commentary here.

1. I used two 7"x3" pans, one solid and one push pan. I buttered the bottom and sides of the pan, and then lined with parchment rounds. After buttering the parchment rounds, I dusted the pans with cocoa. I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa, rather than the Valharona Paola suggests.

I had to allow the first two layers to cool, before removing from the cake pans and baking the third layer. Since there is no gluten, the layers do not really rise. The recipe calls for 8" pans, but I wanted slightly taller layers, so I went with 7" pans and added slightly more time.

2. Paola says cakes made with Xylitol are very fragile, so she suggests wrapping well and refrigerating overnight before frosting. I first wrapped in wax paper, and then in foil.

3./4./5. I uploaded the order of photos slightly wrong. 4. is the first layer with the filling piped on, using a snipped zipper bag. Paola says piping on the filling ensures the most even coverage, and runs less risk of tearing up the layers. 3. is the second layer on top of the first, after the filling was piped on. And 5. is the filling piped on to the second layer.

6. A side view of all three layers.

7. Crumb coat.

8. I am not a baker in anyway, and have no piping tips. This was done with a flat spatula and a snipped off zipper bag.

9. Yes, those are fresh blackberries, added for a little color. Damsel suggests I try making the keto raspberry chia jam I used for some of the hamentaschen above as filling, so I can get a black forest flavor going. I'll try that next time.

If I do make the cake for Passover, it will probably be only for the three of us. I'll make two layers instead of three, I think. The recipe above is for a single layer; adjust the serving size at the top of the recipe card from 6 to 12 servings for 2 layers, and from 6 to 18 servings for 3 layers.

10. Autopsy shot to show the crumb of the cake. Follow Paola's advice, and regrind the golden flax seed meal. It makes a huge difference.

11. Not a very clean slice, but it sure was tasty.
Lord of Light

30845 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Menolly thats awesome.

It looks surprisingly moist for a cake without gluten. I think Ill sub some regular flour probably for the flax seed meal.

Looks yummy ... looking forward to trying it.

Menolly

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night of Passover, so I'm making the same chocolate cake in celebration. However, since it's not for a pot luck, I'm only making two layers, and I'm going to experiment with using raspberry keto jam as the filling.

I had to leave the batter sit for awhile, as I ran out of an ingredient. I don't know if that affected anything, but I don't think these layers came out as thick. I may be wrong, though.
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

5751 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chocolate cake looks oh-so-GOOD, Menolly!!! Party Time
Menolly

FemaleRanyhyn

Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layers definitely didn't rise as much, and are much denser. I think SD figured out the reason though. I used my kosher for Passover baking powder, which, although never opened, I had bought two years ago. Because it wasn't opened, it didn't even occur to me to check if it was still active.

Apparently, it wasn't.

Ah, well. The cake is still tasty, just more reminiscent of the Passover cakes I grew up with, rather than the lighter one I wanted to duplicate.

Lesson learned.

I found a recipe for making keto baking powder, which is definitely k4p. It uses inulin for the bulking starch. I need to find out if baking inulin is the same as Metamucil Clear and Natural. If the Metamucil is 100% inulin, with nothing added, I'm good with using it for such a purpose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: