Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alice in Chains
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dreaming
21st Century Schizoid Man

Male

6657 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Free Lunch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
It's funny, listening to The Boneyard last night and "Pull Me Under" came on. To me, it's a rote example of how to make that kind of music. Spacey keyboards? Check. Nebulous lyrics? Check. Stuttering drums and guitars? Check. Needless time changes? You betcha.

It's like someone went to the mall and visited the "Build a Prog-Metal Song Workshop".

Pull me under was released in 92 or something. It's like accusing Tolkien of writing hack fantasy. DT was pretty much right there at the start of the genre. Pull Me Under is one if the earliest examples of a prog metal song. Queensryche came first, but DT really defined what the genre was going to sound like. Metropolis Part 1. Is really the standout track on that album anyway, Pull Me Under is just the closest they have ever come to a hit song.
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22604 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that just goes to show how little I know about them.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
Be True

27764 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . have you ever noticed how many cliches Shakespeare uses? Razz
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22604 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakespeare's overrated too.....
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
rdhopeca
Ur-Lord Author and Musician

MaleRanyhyn

2328 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2008 Watchies1 2009 Watchies

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask if they were cliches before Shakespeare used them, or if they became cliches because he was so copied...

"Progress is made. Be warned."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Phoogle Map
The Dreaming
21st Century Schizoid Man

Male

6657 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Free Lunch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanna hear how far DT has come (Pretty far IMO) Listen to Train of Thought. It's a stellar metal album from almost any perspective, while maintaining the prog emphasis on dynamic song structure and technical virtuosity. They have more ideas in a single (8 min plus Smile) track than most metal bands have in their careers.

Edit: And this is actually pretty funny, because Pull Me Under is about Hamlet.
Be True

27764 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdhopeca wrote:
I was going to ask if they were cliches before Shakespeare used them, or if they became cliches because he was so copied...
Yeah, that was the joke. Very Happy Everyone copied him so much, and repeated his witty gems, that now it sounds like his work is full of cliches when you read him.

Honestly, I don't know much about Dream Theater, either. I didn't realize they originated a sub-genre of prog. I thought sounded like a badly mixed emulsion of greater infuences.

BTW, Dreaming, I've listened to about half of your recommendations. There's some interesting stuff there, but none of it has really grabbed me yet. I can hear a lot of Beatles influences, though, which is always good.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
[Syl]
Embattred

3651 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months later, I have to say the album's grown on me.

First off, if you really didn't like Cantrell's solo stuff (which was pretty much AiC without Staley), stay away from this album. DuVall doesn't play nearly as large a part as Staley did. That said, I think he provides an essential energy to the band (not to mention a second voice for the harmonies) while still keeping it Alice in Chains.

Vocals aside, there's really stuff here from across the band's catalog. "Last of My Kind" for Facelift, "Acid Bubble" for Dirt, "Your Decision" for Jar of Flies, "When the Sun Rose Again" (my personal favorite off the album) for Sap, and "A Looking in View" for Tripod.

Staley will always be missed, and it's not a perfect album, but it's a hell of a comeback.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.
-George Steiner
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

6211 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the Duvall-fronted version of AiC convinced me they can still project their signature sound. Black Gives Way To Blue contains several songs I like, including "Lesson Learned", "Acid Bubble", "A Looking In View", "Take Her Out", and "Your Decision". I still haven't gotten around to purchasing The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here, but hope to do so soon.
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

6211 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Alice In Chains songs have choruses I just can't get out of my head, like with this song:

WHAT THE HELL HAVE I?
(Written by Jerry Cantrell)

The face before me flies
Laughs at me inside
Masks are made to hide the glow
Shining eyes
Distance 'tween us grows
Feeding lies

It's hard to start things over
You can feel the fire around us
All the time
Yeah

Something I should say
It takes you every day
What you give is not alive
Today
Your soul served on a plate
Throw it away

All the time
Yeah

Oh yeah
All the time
Yeah

Oh yeah
All the time
Yeah

All the time

What the hell have I?
Little pride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXIk45pL0o

This song is very catchy to me. On a side note, it's also the first AIC song to feature bassist Mike Inez.
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

6211 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice In Chains are weird but accessible, unorthodox yet commercial. I don't ask myself why, I just embrace their contradictions. I love the past incarnations of the band, and I love the current version.

VOICES
(Written by Jerry Cantrell)

Who am I, is this me?
Am I one of the team?
I've gone cold, hard to deal
Used to stand where I kneel

Everybody listen
Voices in my head
Everybody listen
Does yours say what mine says?

I want more, than I need
I don't know what is real

Everybody listen
Voices in my head
Everybody listen
Anytime I listen
Voices in my head
Everybody listen

Whispering of names, faces
Uniforms I've worn
And all that is gone
Always climbing
To fall down again
Holding onto everything
It's not what it seems

I've been told, dreaming's free
Think I'll go back to sleep

Everybody listen
Voices in my head
Everybody listen
Anytime I listen
Voices in my head
Everybody listen

Calling out the names, faces
Uniforms I've worn
And all that is gone
Always climbing
To fall down again
Holding onto everything
It's not what it seems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDPNl7PeUU
Skyweir
Lord of Light

35903 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

♥️♥️♥️

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: