Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's new in philosophy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

10528 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: What's new in philosophy? Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:

There are no new thoughts.

Where would you get such a demonstrably false idea? Oh yeah, perhaps here:

Fist and Faith wrote:
Most of what I know about what any philosophers said I learned from Northern Exposure.

Laughing

It's a cliché to say that all of philosophy is merely footnotes to Plato and Aristotle. Like most clichés, there's a grain of truth to that, but philosophy is exploding beyond most people's ability to keep up, just like most areas of human thought. We have more philosophers alive today than ever before (just like scientists, engineers, etc.). Trust me, they are not merely recycling what dead people said.
Care to demonstrate? (I just noticed what an odd word that is. Demon strate?) Seriously. Has there been a truly new idea in the last, say, fifty years? I'd really love to know of such a thing. Sure, I'm skeptical. But I don't know anywhere near enough about philosophy to be able to argue about anything you might say. Not like I'll be saying, "Hey, isn't that just rehashing Mill's idea that yadda yadda?" Literally, the only thing I know about Mill is that, of his own free will, he got particularly ill on half a pint of shandy. I'll have no choice but to accept your word on this new thought, and hope to be able to discuss it to the smallest degree.

All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Zarathustra
Be True

28873 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF, I'm not keeping up with the latest research. I'm not a professional philosopher by any means! But I can say this: claiming that "there are no new thoughts," especially in the context of a professional field with 1000s of working PhDs, is going to be false no matter which field you're talking about. It's like saying there are no new inventions, or no new mathematical theorems/proofs.

There are lots of examples in 20th century philosophy that no one in previous centuries could have imagined. Just think about the impact computers and AI have had on philosophy of the mind--even if you don't know the details, you can surely imagine how philosophers of the past who didn't have access to this concept couldn't possibly have invented the concepts we have today. Cognitive science wasn't invented yet. Neural science has only exploded in the last two decades, since the invention of the MRI. These all inform philosophy with new findings and thus new theories are invented to describe it. Debates about functionalism vs identity theory vs behaviorism--while decades old by now--were entirely new 20th century debates that wouldn't have been possible without the "new" model of mind-as-computer. Previous centuries had different models, like clocks. Thinking of the mind as software and the brain as hardware just wouldn't have occurred to anyone prior to the invention of the computer. And it has led to a flurry of debate and counterarguments, spawning "-isms" to capture all the nuances.

I can't get the link to work for some reason, but you can copy/paste:

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functionalism_(philosophy_of_mind)[/url]
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

10528 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the tech ideas were what occurred to me. I just read some scifi with Hashi's favorite idea of copying minds, which live in simulated reality of computers. And multiple copies, each living in its own simulated reality. I figure it's possible that this leads to thinking of our minds, or our true nature, in ways we never imagined.

Yeah, that link is annoying. Laughing

All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
ussusimiel
Ghurning

Male

Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland
8183 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Unfettered1 Member of THOOLAH1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely with Z (a very rare thing indeed! Laughing), Philosophy has continued to develop and grow at a huge rate over the last 100 years. And it has done so in lots of different areas. It may be that Metaphysics has become less relevant, but if that's the case it has been to the benefit of many other areas.

Michel Foucault talks of the 'unfold' in understanding human existence/experience. In the modern era three writers have stood out as seminal in relation to such unfolding: Sigmund Freud, Max Weber and Karl Marx. Each in their own way, in psychology, sociology and economics, has demonstrated that what we thought it meant to be a human being was only a surface which covered over depths hidden in Foucault's 'unfold'. The unfolding of these depths (think of the Unconscious in psychology) has led to a revolution in our understanding of ourselves, and philosophy has been integrally involved in that.

That is not to even begin to talk about the explosion in the Philosophy of Language, which again is a totally modern phenomenon and still continues apace. People like Ferdinand de Saussure, Ludwig Wittgenstein and Jacques Derrida have utterly changed how philosophers think about language, and so how we conceive of ourselves as human beings.

Post-structuralism, the area where Michel Foucault did most of his work, (along with post-Freudians like Jaques Lacan) draws on all of these advances to give us a picture of what it means to be a human being in a post-modern world. It isn't necessarily a very comforting picture. It provides very little in the way of certainty, and, in many ways, that is its strength. The contemporary world we live in is not one of certainties and absolute truths. It is one where uncertainty (and the anxiety that that brings) is a defining part of the post-modern human condition. Becoming more comfortable with uncertainty rather than looking for comfort in non-existent absolute truths is, for me, the main thing that can be taken from this sort of post-modern philosophy.

u.
What Boogie Street is for.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Male

8352 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Exhibition on philosopher Maimonides in Jerusalem

Quote:

Shrine of the Book at Israel Museum in Jerusalem

Original writings by greatest Jewish Medieval author

TEL AVIV -- The great 12th-century philosopher, scientist and Jewish religious figure Maimonides is featured in a major retrospective exhibition opening on December 11 and running through April at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.

The show includes items on loan from the Vatican Apostolic Library, the British Library of London, the Metropolitan Museum of New York, and other important cultural institutions.

Titled "Mainmonides: A Legacy in Script", the show will display a collection of works by the author considered one of the most prolific and influential intellectuals of his time and in Jewish history.

Born in Spain, the life and work of Maimonides focused mainly on the Middle East, as well as Italy and France, but reached the furthest corners of the Medieval world.

His approach was that of merging secular studies and Torah -- the spiritual centre of Judaism -- to make Jewish law accessible to all. His encouragement on moderation in all aspects of life, his guidelines on nutrition and on preventative medicine, are still "studied and interpreted in various academies and popular circles", the show's organisers said.

[...]

Among the works on display are the original version, with corrections, of the Mishneh Torah, his code of Jewish religious law with his signature and his handwriting.

Those scheduled to participate at the show's inauguration on the evening of December 10 include: Archbishop Jose Tolentino de Mendona, archivist and librarian of the Catholic Church; Spanish Ambassador to Israel Mauel Gomez-Acebo; and Chief Rabbi of Israel Yitzhak Yosef.

Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Male

8352 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Thinking Faith @ThinkingFaith | Twitter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Close All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: