Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Day the Earth Stood Still.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

19027 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here we are..... communism right in our doorstep.... of course in California.

In the news today
Quote:
The Los Angeles City Council Wednesday voted to identify hotels refusing to take in the homeless during the coronavirus pandemic and said they could possibly be commandeered.

4 days ago, I had missed this...
Quote:
Homeless activists, losing patience with L.A., demand government officials commandeer hotel rooms

How is this not a violation of the 4th amendment?

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "**

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Skyweir
Lord of Light

39747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds all shades of wrong even to my liberal thinking mind.

Sure expand shelters, resource them to take in the homeless ... repurpose church halls not in use and shelter folk in need of sheltering but directing a business to do it is imv an untenable way forward.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Immanentizing The Eschaton

31821 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:
Well here we are..... communism right in our doorstep.... of course in California.

In the news today
Quote:
The Los Angeles City Council Wednesday voted to identify hotels refusing to take in the homeless during the coronavirus pandemic and said they could possibly be commandeered.

That's not communism, that's eminent domain. Very Happy A hallmark of capitalism. Very Happy

--A

Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

82701 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:
How is this not a violation of the 4th amendment?

There is no Fourth Amendment, just like there has not been a First Amendment for nearly two months. Corona invalidated the Constitution--didn't you get the memo?

Homeless people are skilled squatters. Good luck removing them from the hotels when all this is over. Also, good luck repairing all the damage and replacing everything they stole to go pawn for drug money.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

39747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:

In the news today
Quote:

That's not communism, that's eminent domain. Very Happy A hallmark of capitalism. Very Happy

--A

LOL

Give the man a cigar 😉 nailed it.

EZBoard SURVIVOR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

19027 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBiter wrote:

In the news today
Quote:

--A

It was a nice meme to laugh about but not even close to being accurate.Under eminent domain the govt can "only exercise this power if they provide just compensation to the property owners" In this situation many of these hotels they want to "commandeer" are million dollar a year rooms. But also that has to go through a series of court actions and offers of value to the property owners. Then you have to look at the word "commandeer". Their words, not mine. They used that word specifically. It means:

Quote:
to officially take possession or control of (something), especially for military purposes

That is not capitalism at all. But good try and put out the cigar that Sky gave you cause the nail she mentions was missed and is still laying there untouched.

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "**

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

Skyweir
Lord of Light

39747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you imagine that such property would be commandeered without compensation?

If the government force their hand this is likely how they will do it, no?

Its how they secured border properties, isnt it?

In which case, not such a long shot at all. 😉 But hey its all fun n games till someone loses an eye 😉

EZBoard SURVIVOR
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

19027 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
Do you imagine that such property would be commandeered without compensation?

Its not Commandeered if its paid for. Its their term not mine. If that is not what they meant then they should say what they mean.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

39747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should indeed.

EZBoard SURVIVOR

31821 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, they barely know what they mean in the first place, getting them to articulate it clearly is too much to hope for.

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

39747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

EZBoard SURVIVOR
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

19027 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, they barely know what they mean in the first place, getting them to articulate it clearly is too much to hope for.

--A

I would love to argue with that, but its accurate. Laughing

Skyweir
Lord of Light

39747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol 😂 kudos👌

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
the aging savage

44487 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the first example of mission creep to come out of the Covid crisis. In the UK, as no doubt elsewhere in the world, the aviation industry has taken a massive hit from the almost complete cessation of flights both international and domestic. I saw the chief executive of Heathrow being interviewed the other day and I believe he said that there was something like a ninety five percent reduction in flights taking off from the airport. Clearly this situation is calamitous for the airlines, let alone the holiday firms both at home and abroad who are - must be - desparate to get their show back on the road as soon as is humanly possible.

Abroad, countries like Spain and Greece who are massively dependant upon revenues they earn from the tourist industry have already signalled that they will be open for business, the latter I believe saying that they would be up and running in time for this summer season.

This, of course, flys absolutely in the face of the UK policy of limiting both the internal movement of people and the passage of large numbers in and out of the country and while they seem unwilling to actually stop people from buying holidays and leaving the country, they are damned if they are going to make it easy for them to do so. To this end it seems that a quarantine period of two weeks will be introduced (or might have been already - I'm not sure on this point) meaning that anyone arriving in the UK is legally bound to isolate themselves for fourteen days following entry into the country. This will make holidays outside the UK pretty much unfeasible for most working people in the UK for the foreseeable future as the statutory holiday allowance (let alone anything else) simply wouldn't allow most of them to be off work for their holiday plus the two weeks quarantine. Even for retired or working from home individuals, it's a big ask that makes the travelling abroad for the vacation of pretty questionable worth; easier to simply take the holiday in the UK and have done with it. To further reinforce this restriction, the Government has today announced that anyone found in breach of the isolation requirements will be liable for a one thousand pounds fine.

Ok - the Covid crisis probably demands such punitive action and restrictive pressure......it can be justified, and will be vociferously at every turn by the Government. But I've said elsewhere, that the travelling of mass numbers of people in and out of the country and its resultant carbon footprint was a thing that was never - never - going to be tolerated ad infinitum (I said as much to my family some five years ago) - a way to curtail it was always going to be found sooner or later, and the Covid crisis presents an unparalleled opportunity to do just that and there was no way that the Government was going to miss the chance to do it. It's a once in a lifetime chance for them to do something that could absolutely not be done in anything other than totally extraordinary circumstances.

So tell me this. Is all of the above bullshit? Or is what we are seeing here, a pitched battle between an industry or industries fighting for their very lives versus a Government determined not to let the opportunity slip by, to bring about a massive long-term reduction in non essential flights that it will never get a better chance to bring about? Certainly the Covid crisis can be used to justify the measures, but the proof of the pudding will be when Joe Ordinary can book himself and his family for a cut price holiday in the Costa del Sol for peanuts as he could have done six months ago and when the numbers flying in and out of the country are similarly restored.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

39747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call bullshit 😉

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

82701 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vaccine for corona is at least a year away; the only way to beat the virus now is through herd immunity, which necessitates us being in contact with each other so that we can spread it and get immunity from it. Yes, people will die but people were going to die, anyway, and we routinely accept death so these deaths should not upset us, either.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

39747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herd immunity is not the best or even the most ideal way at addressing COVID19.

It comes from exposure of the community to the virus and waiting for people to develop immunity over time ... and deaths are inevitable.

Who do you think we sacrifice? And it doesnt take into count generational mutation.

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

39747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its definitely a method but it comes at a high price. Herd immunity will take a lot longer than a vaccine to be developed imv.

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
the aging savage

44487 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
I call bullshit 😉

Laughing Well I did ask for it! Time will tell.........

I saw a spokesman for the pharma company AstraZenea yesterday who said that they would have large scale production up and running by September ....... if the initial trials on their product (based on the work done by the Oxford University team) was shown to be effective. Initial trials on monkeys (poor old monkeys always get it) show that the vaccination does prevent those it is administered to from developing the disease but doesn't necessarily stop them from becoming transmitters.

Also, the virus is apparently dying out so rapidly anyway that (for some reason I' not sure of) that it is a race against time to get it ready before it falls below a level where...... whatever (this is the point I don't get - why should the level in the population effect the efficacy or otherwise of the vaccination; it presumably isn't simply a money thing because the man said that the company was not doing the work for profit.).

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

31821 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen lately, the problem with "herd immunity" is that the Covid immunity does not appear to be even long-lasting, let alone permanent from what they can see at the moment.

--A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: