Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pink Floyd fans: I'm going to go out on a limb...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Mhoram
Boston Brahmin

Male

2394 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Revelstone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Pink Floyd fans: I'm going to go out on a limb... Reply with quote

...and say that The Final Cut is, in my opinion, after much deliberation, their best record by far. Cool The orchestration and strings are solid, the Gilmour solos are few and far between but always strong, Waters' singing has never been more passionate, and the lyrics are fiery and profound on a level beyond any other Pink Floyd record. It is quite an achievement, and I think it gets bad press for being a "Waters solo record."

Discuss.
The Laughing Man
The Joke's On You

Male

1017 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Merewives1 Haruchai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading Not Now John right now! Thanx, LM! I had forgotten all about that album, and agree it was one of their finest. (I bought the cassette, and cd, and lost both if anyone has any objections Razz )
Lord Mhoram
Boston Brahmin

Male

2394 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Smile You might want to pick up the 2004 reissue; it has a song called "When The Tigers Broke Free" that wasn't on the original album, and the rest of the tracks are remastered. Stunning.
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

9968 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while among my favorites I would vote for Dark Side. having said that, the Gunner's Dream and Two SUns are amazing. I find John too jarring and could live with dropping it. the album would be more cohesive. just like Water's Hitchiking solo.
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22605 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realize it'd been remastered, 'cause the original CD release was horrible.

Well, it is a Waters solo record, but it's still very, very good. I'll still listen to Animals before it, though.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord Mhoram
Boston Brahmin

Male

2394 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Animals is vastly underrated I think.

sgt,

Do you like Hitchhiking? You're right, it's kind of sprawling, but I always rather liked it. I read a scathing review of it in Rolling Stone - 1 out of 5 stars. One of the worst reviews I've ever read in that magazine. Ouch.
dANdeLION
Leoninus Scurrae

4445 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad1 Holy Launch Button1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this comes down to the age of the listener...for me, Wish You Were Here is the best, the Wall and Animals right there with it, and Dark Side a really close third. But I was a teenager when the Wall came out, so those are the albums I heard the most.
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Hobbes *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22605 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heresy, I know, but....I can't stand Dark Side.

Well, that's not entirely true, but I don't think it's the masterpiece everyone makes it out to be. I think Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall are all vastly superior.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord Mhoram
Boston Brahmin

Male

2394 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Dark Side really changed what I thought pop music could be - it challenged my idea of song structure, length, introduced non-linear lyrics, strange sound effects, long instrumentals. I think it really is a masterpiece. Wish You Were Here is a lesser album, I think, but I respect its tightness, and every single one of the songs is truly great. The Wall is fantastic - but it's sprawling, and there are some weaker tunes. But I think it's got to be one of the best concept albums of all time.

The reason I think The Final Cut is their best is because it takes the lyrical adventure Waters began on Dark Side, the cohesiveness of Wish, and the themes Waters began to explore on The Wall, and combines them into what I think is their best achievement.
dANdeLION
Leoninus Scurrae

4445 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I'm gonna get it, because my memory of it is getting hazy....
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Hobbes *

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22605 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Mhoram wrote:
Well, Dark Side really changed what I thought pop music could be - it challenged my idea of song structure, length, introduced non-linear lyrics, strange sound effects, long instrumentals. I think it really is a masterpiece.

All true. It definitely is a groundbreaking album from a production standpoint alone. I just have difficulty listening to it.

Someone, could've been either Nick Mason or Dave Gilmour, once said that the only thing Waters could write about (well) was insanity and depression. I tend to agree. I really haven't enjoyed more than a handfull of Waters's solo songs, but I absolutely love Gilmour's solo stuff (especially About Face), Momentary Lapse, and The Division Bell.

But no argument that they were better together than either one is by themselves.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

45509 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, Cail. I consider Amused to Death is a masterwork, and as a Waters effort I think it rivals anything Floyd did (although it is also very, very different). It also shows that Waters has another side -- a cynical, liberal side, mind - but another side nonetheless.

Then again, I can't get into old Floyd, what some would call real Floyd, which is pre-Dark Side. Don't know why, as I have no problem with old Who, old Kinks, old Stones, etc. Maybe I'm not freakie enough.

Love Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, The Wall. Have Final Cut, don't like it much either. (I do have a bootleg Waters concert where he peformed a lot of 'Cut amazingly, which I got before the CD, so maybe that killed it for me.)

Saw the new Floyd twice. The Delicate Sound concert blew me away. The Division Bell concert really let me down after that ... wasn't worth standing in piss on the stadium floor to see, I guess.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda for which this forum has become a platform.
Lord Mhoram
Boston Brahmin

Male

2394 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Gilmour's solo album David Gilmour, and it's just sort of "Meh." I mean, sure, the music's good...but then again, I always preferred the lyrics of Pink Floyd to the music (generally speaking). Some of Waters' solo stuff is good, but a lot of that is just lyrics without the music. Combined they were at their best.
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22605 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, different strokes. I appreciate Waters and his contribution to music, but I don't think the guy walks on water.

I agree about old Floyd too. There's some really good stuff; One of These Days, Fearless, Set the Controls..., but then there's a bunch of it I just don't get into at all. Then again, I really dislike a lot of the hippy-dippy psychedelic stuff or the jam-band stuff, so that's in character for me.

The Delicate Sound tour was amazing, saw them 3 times on it. The Division Bell tour didn't measure up (and sorry about peeing on your shoes, I really had to go).
Lord Mhoram
Boston Brahmin

Male

2394 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I never got the old Pink Floyd either. Although some of those Syd Barret songs are rather funny.
dANdeLION
Leoninus Scurrae

4445 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Piper and Saucerful...there's good stuff on them, but yeah, Gilmour made it a different band. I love that first tune on Meddle, too (One of these days). What a kickass tune for a bass player!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Hobbes *

wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

45509 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
The Delicate Sound tour was amazing, saw them 3 times on it. The Division Bell tour didn't measure up (and sorry about peeing on your shoes, I really had to go).

Actually, standing on the floor of Foxboro Stadium, not getting into Floyd, and being pissed off at all the jerks shoving chairs into me and, yes, peeing in the aisles, was sort of the wake up call that I'm too old to be a kid any more. I've been muttering about damn kids ever since. *sigh*

And that was, like, what, ten years ago? *depression-riddled-sigh*
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda for which this forum has become a platform.
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

15087 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Combined they were at their best.

Definitely agree with this. I gotta get some of this stuff that you guys are talking about. I have Dark Side and The Wall, and I love 'em both. Which one should I get next?
The Laughing Man
The Joke's On You

Male

1017 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Merewives1 Haruchai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend Animals, then Wish You Were Here. Thumbs Up
Worm of Despite
Banned

Male

12324 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
2 Foul Duck1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Mhoram, Final Cut is great and vastly overrated. Michael Kamen's orchestra is not the only thing it has going for it: Water's lyrics were reaching their apogee. It definitely feels more like a Waters solo album, though. That said, I prefer Amused to Death over Final Cut.

As for Floyd in general: I think they had one of the best streaks of quality albums during the 70s: Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall. Love all of 'em, and WYWH was my favorite record for the longest time. My favorite music DVD is still their Pompeii concert. Hope PULSE comes out on DVD sometime this decade!

Wayfriend wrote:
I don't know, Cail. I consider Amused to Death is a masterwork, and as a Waters effort I think it rivals anything Floyd did (although it is also very, very different). It also shows that Waters has another side -- a cynical, liberal side, mind - but another side nonetheless.

Amen!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: