Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarathustra
Be True

18084 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Beans Reply with quote

I couldn't find a topic on this. I hope it's not too boring for the rest of you. Smile

How long will dried beans keep? I've got a package of Hurst's Hambean 15 bean soup that has a "best by" date of 9/08. Shocked

I'm cooking them anyway. They're soaking right now.

Any advice how to cut down on the gas factor? I can cook some damn good beans, but the aftereffects are ... unsatisfactory. Embarassed Even after a long soak.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Menolly
Gravin Threndor, how I love thee.

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
147605 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of several methods to reduce the after effects, but none seem to work for the susceptible here. My best advice is to follow whatever recipe and take some beano before eating.
saving up for a private island

1206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have a problem with an overnight soak- then rinse and fresh water for boiling. There is a product called Beano that lots of ppl swear by. My mom actually soaks the beans then rinses and uses fresh water then par-boils them. That is she boils them for a little while and then pours off that water and starts again with fresh.
Vader
Black

Male

6916 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dried beans (if really stored dry and dark) are made for eternity. I have heard from dried lentils found in Babylonian graves that still were edible. Just make sure there's no vermin in the bag.
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, how does one prepare dry beans? I know it takes an eternity, but I always seem to screw up somehow... I ask, because I'm craving some Gallo Pinto, and I could settle for canned red beans, but that's not the same....

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

1040 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks for the idea, Orlion.

That's a dish I have not had since I was last in Costa Rica in 2006.

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
~ Rainier Maria Rilke
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14430 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two ways to soften dried beans that I know of:

1. Submerge the beans in water in a pot overnight (so, y'know, about eight hours). Then drain, add clean water, and cook them according to your recipe.

2. If you're not that patient, you can put them in water in a pot, bring them to a boil for a couple of minutes, shut off the heat, cover the beans and let them sit for about two hours, then cook according to your recipe.

Z, if you eat beans often, eventually your system gets used to the extra fiber, and gas pretty much ceases to be a problem. It's getting there that's the trick....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

http://www.hearth-myth.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: