Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone rereading this winter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> J.R.R. Tolkien Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarathustra
Be True

17668 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Anyone rereading this winter? Reply with quote

Now that I'm done with AATE, I'm looking forward to doing my bi-decadal (there really should be a word for that so I won't be forced to make one up Smile ) reading of The Holy Trilogy. It has been five years. It is time. And for some reason, fall/winter always puts me in a Tolkien mood. I think it goes back to my first reading of The Hobbit one winter in junior high school. My life hasn't been the same since.

I'm pretty psyched this time. I'm going to finally crack open my mammoth Allen Lee illustrated $70.00 (which I got on sale) LOTR mega-tome. I've been reading crappy paperbacks for years. The covers have all fallen off. This time I'm going to do it in style. I think I'll even start out with my first addition hardback Silmarillion that I've been leaving untouched for over a decade. Ah, like a bottle of fine wine (or in my case, barleywine).
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
drew
Haligonian

Male

920 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking about a new years re-read myself.

Done it twice, starting on new years day, last time was three or four years ago.
Me and the kiddos are watching all the movies on new years eve, so its nice to follow up with the real story.

Unless of course, I get AATE for Christmas, then LOTR will have to wait Very Happy Very Happy
the kind you keep for a really long time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> J.R.R. Tolkien Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: