Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tea Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My yellow tea just arrived Big Grin I'll be back to tell you how it goes!

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
CovenantJr
Eater of Sausage

Male

582 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Morinmoss1 New Lord1 Captains Fancy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
English Breakfast with a tag, ceramic mug, bag is squeezed then sugar (artificial for me) added, then milk.
Stirring spoon remains in mug during drinking.

Any variation of the above is blasphemy.
A smaller teacup substitution is allowed but it's a waste of time.

You drink tea like a real tea drinker! (Well, I don't bother with sugar, but still...)

I remember Jenn offering to go and get me some tea when I stayed with her in San Francisco. She wanted to know what type of tea, and my response was along the lines of "Tea. Just tea. When I buy it, the box pretty much just says 'tea' on it." Laughing

I make tea with a cheap teabag*, in a mug, with milk. Caffeine stops me sleeping though, so these days I try to mix it up with some rooibos (drunk the same way) or fruit-flavoured infusions.

*a small qualifier: I will not drink 'value' tea. If it costs about a sixth of the price of the next cheapest teabags, it probably contains more sawdust and paper than tea.
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a religious experience Very Happy The tea came loose-leaf and smelled like a balance between green and black tea. Upon brewing for the recommended time (1.5 minutes) I was left with a clear tea with a slight yellow tinge. I thought I'd have mostly dirty water, but upon sipping there was a delicate vegetal taste and a tingling sensation reminiscent of mint but without the mint flavor. I'll have to experiment with brewing time and strength of tea. Also, this tea is suppose to be good for re-steeping.

All in all, it's a very subtle, soothing tea.

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Zarathustra
Be True

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:
That was a religious experience The tea came loose-leaf ...
Sounds like my experience with high-quality loose leaf green tea.

Orlion wrote:
...a tingling sensation reminiscent of mint but without the mint flavor.
I get this from green tea if I brew too long, too hot, or too strong. Are you sure it wasn't the astringent quality you get from too much tannin extraction?

Orlion wrote:
I'll have to experiment with brewing time and strength of tea.
Try this: only bring your water to 145F-155F. Don't boil. I know from homebrewing (beer) that if you mash (that is, steep) your grains hotter than 170F, you'll start extracting tannins. If I brew green tea this hot, it comes out brown. Sure, it's light brown, but it still looks burnt. If you brew it at 150F, it will actually be green. Since these teas are distinct precisely because of their delicate treatment during processing (as opposed to say a black tea), it doesn't make much sense to burn the hell out of them at the final step.

But don't take my word for it:

Wikipedia wrote:
Green tea steeping time and temperature varies with individual teas. The hottest steeping temperatures are 180F to 190F (81C to 87C) water and the longest steeping times 2 to 3 minutes. The coolest brewing temperatures are 140F to 160F (61C to 69C) and the shortest times about 30 seconds. In general, lower quality green teas are steeped hotter and longer, while higher quality teas are steeped cooler and shorter. Steeping green tea too hot or too long will result in a bitter, astringent brew, regardless of the initial quality. It is thought that excessively hot water results in tannin chemical release, which is especially problematic in green teas as they have higher contents of these. High quality green teas can be and usually are steeped multiple times; 2 or 3 steepings is typical. The steeping technique also plays a very important role to avoid the tea developing an overcooked taste.

Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

25204 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, believe it or not...especially if you're a super taster, or super smeller, or [you poor creature] both...starting with the water COLD, then heating is important for the flavor. Don't start with hot tap water, even though it saves time.
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Zarathustra
Be True

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord, there's no way I'd drink water that has been sitting in the hot water heater! Shocked

Also, I'm very sensitive to chlorine. I can't drink tea made with unfiltered water--especially delicate teas like green tea.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14147 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My morning tea routine would give you guys hives:

<mutter grumble> Is there enough water in the pot from yesterday? Yeah. <light burner under pot, plunk Irish Breakfast teabag in a mug, get distracted online for 10 min. or so> Oh, it's boiling. Let's hope there's enough water left for a cup of tea. <turn off burner, wait 30 seconds or so, pour water over teabag, get distracted online for 20 min. or so> Oh crap, I forgot about the tea. At least it's cool enough that I won't need to add an ice cube now. <toss teabag, chug tea>

Laughing

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

http://www.hearth-myth.com/
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
Orlion wrote:
That was a religious experience The tea came loose-leaf ...
Sounds like my experience with high-quality loose leaf green tea.

Orlion wrote:
...a tingling sensation reminiscent of mint but without the mint flavor.
I get this from green tea if I brew too long, too hot, or too strong. Are you sure it wasn't the astringent quality you get from too much tannin extraction?

Orlion wrote:
I'll have to experiment with brewing time and strength of tea.
Try this: only bring your water to 145F-155F. Don't boil. I know from homebrewing (beer) that if you mash (that is, steep) your grains hotter than 170F, you'll start extracting tannins. If I brew green tea this hot, it comes out brown. Sure, it's light brown, but it still looks burnt. If you brew it at 150F, it will actually be green. Since these teas are distinct precisely because of their delicate treatment during processing (as opposed to say a black tea), it doesn't make much sense to burn the hell out of them at the final step.

But don't take my word for it:

Wikipedia wrote:
Green tea steeping time and temperature varies with individual teas. The hottest steeping temperatures are 180F to 190F (81C to 87C) water and the longest steeping times 2 to 3 minutes. The coolest brewing temperatures are 140F to 160F (61C to 69C) and the shortest times about 30 seconds. In general, lower quality green teas are steeped hotter and longer, while higher quality teas are steeped cooler and shorter. Steeping green tea too hot or too long will result in a bitter, astringent brew, regardless of the initial quality. It is thought that excessively hot water results in tannin chemical release, which is especially problematic in green teas as they have higher contents of these. High quality green teas can be and usually are steeped multiple times; 2 or 3 steepings is typical. The steeping technique also plays a very important role to avoid the tea developing an overcooked taste.

Good advice, but yellow tea is also not green tea... it's kinda a combination of green and black, or rather slightly oxidized green tea. Hence the higher temperature. I could still try a lower temperature though, see what happens.

-John Crowley
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

25204 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:
My morning tea routine would give you guys hives:

<mutter grumble> Is there enough water in the pot from yesterday? Yeah. <light burner under pot, plunk Irish Breakfast teabag in a mug, get distracted online for 10 min. or so> Oh, it's boiling. Let's hope there's enough water left for a cup of tea. <turn off burner, wait 30 seconds or so, pour water over teabag, get distracted online for 20 min. or so> Oh crap, I forgot about the tea. At least it's cool enough that I won't need to add an ice cube now. <toss teabag, chug tea>

Laughing

Heh...reminds me of my morning coffee routine in the military.
Take 1/2 gallon milk jug. Go to caf...fill jug with 3/4 coffee, 1/4 milk, take 1/2 pint milk carton, start slamming coffee on way to office. Get to office, start coffee-maker using 4 scoops instead recommended 2 scoops for pot. Finish jug while pot is brewing. Poor pot into jug ignoring grounds spill-over, add 1/4 pint milk carton. Clean messy extra grounds out of coffee maker and pot due to overloading. Start normal pot for when sarges, captain show up.
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14147 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vraith, that's what we used to call "newsroom strength" coffee. Laughing

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

JazFusion
For Your Internets

Female

783 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! That happens to me all the time brewing tea. I have ADD/ADHD anyways, so there are also days where I'll have multiple full mugs of tea sitting around.

My coffee habits are less than savory. When my son was a newborn sometimes I'd just reheat the coffee left in the pot overnight. Add a ton of sugar and cream and wait for the caffeine to kick in.
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

58770 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:
Vraith, that's what we used to call "newsroom strength" coffee. Laughing

That's they way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it, uh huh, uh huh. Mr. Green

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Damelon
Lord

1826 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazFusion wrote:
My coffee habits are less than savory. When my son was a newborn sometimes I'd just reheat the coffee left in the pot overnight. Add a ton of sugar and cream and wait for the caffeine to kick in.

I'll just reheat the coffee and drink it black.

This thread had me make a tea inventory and place an order this week. I'm enjoying a pot of orange spice tea now.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. ~ Carl Sagan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14147 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damelon wrote:
JazFusion wrote:

You people are *desperate*! Laughing

EZ Board Survivor

JazFusion
For Your Internets

Female

783 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damelon wrote:
JazFusion wrote:

Hard. Core.

I found an alternative to my wintergreen/chamomile idea.

Being as it's winter, there are no herbs to pick! But I will definitely be picking some herbs come this Spring.
Damelon
Lord

1826 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:
Damelon wrote:
JazFusion wrote:

You people are *desperate*! Laughing

What? A minute in the microwave and it's all good. Laughing
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. ~ Carl Sagan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: