Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brown vs. white

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Female

5817 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: brown vs. white Reply with quote

If white rice is brown rice without the hull, if it takes more effort to process white rice, then why does brown rice cost so much more than white?

My suspicion is the only reason they charge more for brown than white is because...... they can.
Cambo
Jack's Complete Lack of Surprise

Ranyhyn

2052 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the same reason they charge more for grain bread than white? Health, it seems, costs, while Coca Cola is the cheapest item (price/volume) in my supermarket.

http://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

27444 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come a pound of frozen corn costs the same as a pound of hamburger, when it takes several pounds of corn and hundreds, [I actually once heard over 2000] gallons of water to make a lb of beef?
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14430 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you guys are on to something...

I watched "Taking Woodstock" the other day. Possibly the funniest line in the whole movie was when Max Yasgur (the guy who rented out his farm for the music festival) was talking to the kid who was the head of the Chamber of Commerce about the people in town who were complaining about all the hippies showing up and ruining the place, but were selling them bottles of water. "Can you believe it? A dollar!" Yasgur said. "For *water*!" Laughing

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

http://www.hearth-myth.com/
Harbinger
saving up for a private island

1206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main reason- the demand for brown rice is significantly lower. Rice has several layers of hulls. Removing all of them gives you white rice. Removing only the outer hull and not disturbing the inner layers of hulls is evidently more difficult. Also, brown rice does not have nearly the storage life of white rice.

It's so cheap anyway that I've never really thought about it. I prefer basmati rice. It's more expensive, but it's still rice and therefore cheap.
It does not have the nutritional value of brown rice, but it does not convert to sugar as readily as regular white rice either.

As for the corn- you're comparing it to hamburger and not the whole cow. The average retail price for beef was $4.44/lb. for Jan 2011.

Ever notice that the cheapest fries are cheaper than the cheapest potatoes?

I got an answer for that one, too.
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

27444 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbinger wrote:

As for the corn- you're comparing it to hamburger and not the whole cow. The average retail price for beef was $4.44/lb. for Jan 2011.

Heh...actually, I knew that, but it is evened out by the fact that corn is actually costing us a heck of a lot more than we pay retail...and beef prices are in part driven up by the medical cost of keeping them from getting sick from eating corn.
At the farm level, it costs just under 6 cents to grow a pound of corn, but it's only worth just over 3 cents.
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: