Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Clash of Kings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> George R. R. Martin Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revan
Don

1078 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I dislike any characters in this book that have has a view point of their own... the reason? Because one you understand someone, or something, understand why they do what they do, it is very hard to 'hate' them.

I certainly hate Theon, in the end, I felt sorry for him.

One again, this is a classic example of amazing character writing. The characters in these books are very grey, and very real.
Encryptic
Haruchai

12 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
I don't think I dislike any characters in this book that have has a view point of their own... the reason? Because one you understand someone, or something, understand why they do what they do, it is very hard to 'hate' them.

I certainly hate Theon, in the end, I felt sorry for him.

One again, this is a classic example of amazing character writing. The characters in these books are very grey, and very real.

::shrug::

I never really warmed up to Sansa, although she got a little better by the end of Storm of Swords. She just always came off as whiny and unable to do anything for herself, in total contrast to Arya. Not that I liked the way Joffrey treated her, but she definitely needs to grow a spine. Hopefully "Feast" will show some signs of maturity in her.
Revan
Don

1078 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither did I 'warm up' to Sansa. But I understand her now... she's annoying, even characters you understand can be annoying... but I don't "hate" her.
lucimay
Mott Irregular, Bridgeburner, Pirate

Ranyhyn

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay...its freakin four twenty three in the morning and my eyes will not focus!

Spoiler:
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT THAT KILLED RENLY!!!!
Eeek

ya gotta love catelyn after that scene, gettin the knight girl outa there lickty split! even if she was a b!tch to jon.

i'm only going to bed now because my eyes are crossed and the damn progressive lenses aren't helping at this point.

*massive yawn*

hard to put down this little soap opera!! Big Grin

one more thing. if martin kills arya, i will hunt the bastard down. Evil or Very Mad

i've had this with actors before, on the set, where they get upset about the [size of my] trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer, cause... i'm from kentucky and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
danlo
Lord of Neverness

2467 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2005 Watcher of the Year1 Sandgorgon1 Skyweir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think that's bad!? Don't read! Spoiler:
The nasties get progressively nastier as the series goes on...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Loredoctor
Forensic Researcher

Male

2359 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Calm Horizons1 2007 Watchies1 Ventrue Clan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warmark wrote:
Just finished this, Loved it. Razz

Tyrion - i am begininng to like this little Imp.
Spoiler:
Only complaint is that the Victory as Kings Landing seemed a little cheap, suddenly Tywin just appears Confused

Spoiler:
I might add that it was said his army was marching in an unexpected direction. Given that he was moving away from Robb, one might have thought he was heading off to deal with Stannis. Having said that, it still surprised me.

Worm of Despite
Banned

Male

12185 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
2 Foul Duck1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at this thread and realized I read Storm of Swords from February 16 to February 23. I do remember making a few all-nighters, back then. *sigh* Don't think I'll ever find a more engrossing book.
caamora
The Purifier

1032 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a quetion and I can't spoiler it because I'm on my cell.

Is the boy, Gendry, who is with Arya in Harrenhall Roberts bastard that Ned went to see? I can't find where I got that and I can't find any reference to it in the book.
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.

The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.

The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

21980 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that would be the one. He's described the same way, and he has the bull helmet which he showed Ned in aGoT.

Mod of the General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Forum
Arcadia
Love

297 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Earth1 Nhruuk1 Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, thanks.
Warmark
ManBearPig

409 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loremaster wrote:
Warmark wrote:

Spoiler:
Only complaint is that the Victory as Kings Landing seemed a little cheap, suddenly Tywin just appears Confused

Spoiler:
I might add that it was said his army was marching in an unexpected direction. Given that he was moving away from Robb, one might have thought he was heading off to deal with Stannis. Having said that, it still surprised me.

I noticed that line on a re-read, made more sense this time round.

Full of the heavens and time.
I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

21980 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading, and just noticed a nice little line in this book between Tyrion and Bronn: Tyrion is being hounded by Lady Tanda who want him to marry Lollys. Tyrion says to Bronn, "Perhaps you should eat the goose and marry the maid". Irony is: He does. Bronn is married to Lollys by aFfC, though it isn't Tyrion's doing.

It's always fun spotting these little things that Martin puts in. There are a lot of sly references to what is going to happen later in the story.

Responding to a years-old post:
Loremaster wrote:
Warmark wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

He did exactly what Tyrion said would happen. Tyrion had a conversation with Cersei where he said if Renly attacked, Tywin's army could reach King's Landing and smash them before they ever got near taking the city. When King's Landing came under assault, Tyrion was proved right by Tywin's arrival.

I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

21980 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Littlefinger just referred to Horas and Hobber as Horror and Slobber - nicknames that Jeyne Pool invented when joking with Sansa. I think it's the first time I've seen someone else use the nicknames. And Littlefinger was the one who said he would find a place for Jeyne when Cersei wanted her seperated from Sansa after Ned's arrest.

The case for Jeyne being the girl who replaces Arya later in the series (sent north to marry the Bastard of Bolton) is a strong one, I think. I have to wonder what Petyr did with her for those few months he had her. And I wonder if the (probable) Reek/Ramsey/Theon storyline in Dance with Dragons will reveal the answer.

Edit: AFFC spoiler
Spoiler:
An alternative answer to the "one word" Brienne gets out when Catelyn tries to hang her: Stannis. Catelyn made a promise to Brienne in aCoK that she would not stand between Brienne and her revenge for Renly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> George R. R. Martin Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: