Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skurj (art) [updated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frostheart Grueburn
Swordmain

FemaleRanyhyn

1909 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Giant1 Giant Ship1 Mount Thunder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
Be sure to know I only mentioned it since you asked for suggestions. I think any resemblence to sandworms is more Donaldson's fault than yours. But he does mention them having jaws and skulls IIRC, so they are probably more reminiscent of this than of sandworms. Anyway: you have to think about how form matches function - these things push their faces through the ground, chew rock for breakfast. I think that they really are more worm in the earthworm sense than worm in the Smaug sense.

Yup, and I'm really glad for all feedback. Smile

I was going to mention the jaws in my last post, but something distracted me and forgot about it. Anyhow, they were one reason why I imagined Kasty's pets to appear more Smaug-ish. (I also have a vague recollection about skulls--where were these mentioned?)

I'm not yet done with the drawing, but considering I've put a few tens of hours into it already, and dramatically changing the shape of the skurj would require re-sketching about half of Grueburn's pose, I'll likely retain most of the beast's present semblance. But there's always room for an upgraded, more practical Skurj 2.0 (and I just realized Kasty himself in his half-elohim half-skurj form might be fun to portray...) in the future. Smile
Frostheart Grueburn
Swordmain

FemaleRanyhyn

1909 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closeups:

Cirrus Kindwind

Frostheart Grueburn

Onyx Stonemage

My inspirations to edit this splattergore further have gurgled down the drain. Think I wasted altogether 40-50 hours re-re-re-re-drawing various odds and ends and cropping the composition that didn't feel right from the start. Something's a mite wonky with the perspective too. Would probably look less chaotic with shading or colors, but feeling too discomfited/exhausted to start that phase in a long, long while.

But, at least gave a visage and whatnot to two more 3rd chrons giantesses; they get scant love here anyhow.

As for the too-dragonish-anime-influenced skurj, there's always that fairly epic scene where Frosty impales one through the throat with a thrust of her sword. If I ever have energy for a remake, I'll probably head for that.

Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Wed May 08, 2013 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

41151 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorm wrote:
As for the too-dragonish-anime-influenced skurj, there's always that fairly epic scene where Frosty impales one through the throat with a thrust of her sword. If I ever have energy for a remake, I'll probably head for that.

Speaking of this ... have you thought of a way to convey how hot these beasts are? Aside from giving them a red-orange glow, I mean. Because I was thinking about how hard that would be. But then I was thinking that there had to be some visual cue thats been established that could accomplish this. For example, a slimy dragon is easy to depict, even when you can't show shininess, because you can show gore dripping off. There has to be a way to do hot worms.
Cambo
Jack's Complete Lack of Surprise

Ranyhyn

2052 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat distortion around the body perhaps? Like the air ripples off a road on a hot day?

http://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

1921 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Kresh1 Diamondraught1 Mind Meld

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also have vapors surrounding it and nearby fires in the vegetation and clothes of the giants.
Frostheart Grueburn
Swordmain

FemaleRanyhyn

1909 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatal Revenant wrote:
Its hide was heavy and hot as slag: the entire length of the creature emitted a terrible heat. Yet the hide shed no light. Only the teeth, the fearsome fangs, long as stakes,-- only the teeth shone. They burned with a sick red slashing radiation like lamps along the passage to hell.

So no orange glow here, and anyhow a challenging light source. Likely my graphics program hides some filter or brush within with which one can achieve a believable 'heat haze effect'. Needs some experimenting, however. Here it would've looked too messy together with the umpteen sketchlines, the same with miniature forest fires.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: