Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The One Tree and why it's so arduous
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

28596 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomshark wrote:
The One Tree to me is a ponderous read, and the 1 book in the series I have to force myself to read. It really adds very little if anything to the Chronicles, and could have been left out entirely.

Kinda repeating myself. But all of these I think added to the story in numerous ways...and finding ALL of them suddenly popping up in places/plots in the Land would have transcended even absurdity:
Kastenol Aredenol [and other things Haruchai]
Sandgorgons
Elohim [as a people/culture]
Second Staff of Law [and the whole Vain/Findail thing vanishes or strains credulity]
Worm of the Worlds End
Croyel
Kastenessen
That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others.
I think they all add something to the story.
In addition every single one
[and a number of little sides/hints I didn't include] leads to something important in the Last.
A couple of them lead to more than one thing in the Last.

Something else, which those who despise Linden won't care much about, but is IMO story-essential: I have a hard time imagining TC/Linden [singularly, but particularly the relationship] developing with as many facets/dimensions wholly under the Sunbane.

-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
Ghurning

Male

Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland
7890 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Unfettered1 Member of THOOLAH1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vraith wrote:
phantomshark wrote:
The One Tree to me is a ponderous read, and the 1 book in the series I have to force myself to read. It really adds very little if anything to the Chronicles, and could have been left out entirely.

Kinda repeating myself. But all of these I think added to the story in numerous ways...and finding ALL of them suddenly popping up in places/plots in the Land would have transcended even absurdity:
Sandgorgons
Second Staff of Law [and the whole Vain/Findail thing vanishes or strains credulity]
Worm of the Worlds End
Croyel
Kastenessen
[and a number of little sides/hints I didn't include] leads to something important in the Last.

Something else, which those who despise Linden won't care much about, but is IMO story-essential: I have a hard time imagining TC/Linden [singularly, but particularly the relationship] developing with as many facets/dimensions wholly under the Sunbane.

I have to agree with Vraith (and we usually only agree on education Laughing ). I'm not sure how the 2nd series could have been all jammed into one book without, at the very least, the loss of the Caamora of the Unhomed (which is many people's single favourite scene in the entire Chrons). I suppose Linden could have been jettisoned (which would have satisfied those THOOLAH philistines Laughing ) and Covenant could have gone straight to Mount Thunder and confronted Foul, picking up what he needed on the way. Throw in a bit of help from the Elohim and a new staff is probably possible. But I'm not sure what would have been gained that hadn't already been covered in TPTP. However, there are some people who hold that there was no need for the 2nd Chrons at all. I think what we have here is a case of a purist; a 1st Chrons fundamentalist! Big Grin

u.
What Boogie Street is for.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

2408 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vraith wrote:
phantomshark wrote:

Sandgorgons
Worm of the Worlds End
Croyel
Kastenessen

Exactly. TOT was crucial in developing and expanding the sub-creation of the Chronicles and providing a framework for the evolution of the major characters.
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14910 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As difficult as TOT can be to get through, it's still a better read than any part of the Last Chronicles.
Ghurning

Male

Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland
7890 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Unfettered1 Member of THOOLAH1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlbpharmd wrote:
As difficult as TOT can be to get through, it's still a better read than any part of the Last Chronicles.

If TOT is arduous it is only relative to the brilliance of the rest of the books. IMO, it is a far better book than most other fantasy novels. (I'd love to be able to say that about the Last Chrons Sad )

u.
What Boogie Street is for.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

1362 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience, u. Come this fall, you and many other doubters (perhaps even those as hardcore as dlb and Fist) will know the brilliance of the Last Chrons, once you have read the final volume.

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
~ Rainier Maria Rilke
slickthomas
Servant of the Land

90 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomshark wrote:

I've felt this way for 30 years.

Part of it is that I've never gotten all the Pitchwife love but then again I don't find the Second Chronicles characters (except for Vain) to be particularly memorable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: