Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Last Dark, Part II Chapter 7: At Last

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Group Readings -> Last Chronicles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 3904

Thanks: 889
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
2426 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: The Last Dark, Part II Chapter 7: At Last Reply with quote

The Last Dark, Part II Chapter 7

At Last

As Linden silently rejoices over opening a passage to the Wightwarrens, the cave is assaulted with water furiously emptying from the passage--and the Feroce disappear, after having guided the company faithfully since they began their journey under Thunder.

It's not long before the water flows more gently, and its level drops down as the passage empties its tainted cargo. The air freshens soon after, and Jeremiah cleanses it further by re-claiming the Staff of Law's powers.

Linden finds herself wishing that the Feroce washed away by the cascading water survive and receive forgiveness from their lurker High God. (I find myself wishing the same for them. They made a tremendous difference.)

Led by Rime Coldspray and lit by the krill in Branl's grasp, the company ascend the now nearly-cleared passage as water rushes at the feet of Branl, Stave, and the Giants. Soon a line is tossed back and Onyx Stonemage grabs it as the company attempts a tight crevice at a steep slope, while walking on sticky silt.
The company is informed that lead sailor Bluff Stoutgirth, Anchormaster, has gotten stuck in quicksand. (Not exactly what I'd call the proper way to "lead by example".) The company must halt as he and the other leading Giants figure how to surmount this new obstacle. Pit-trapped gases released from the quicksand foul the air for a few moments, until Jeremiah thrashes about with the Staff's midnight flaming powers.

Once the Anchormaster is no longer anchored, the Quest To Keep Foul Chained continues as the company carefully navigates past the pit, following the Anchormaster's encouraging shout. They pass the quicksand pit slowly, with Branl illuminating that spot via Loric's dagger.

The air ahead is much improved, and the Giants one by one relax after climbing to Stoutgirth's level, many steps above that challenging quicksand pit. When the Giants put their passengers down for a rest, Linden awkwardly lurches toward Covenant, and the Unbeliever confesses to her he thought the quicksand ordeal would never end.
All of the company have come out of the water, and Jeremiah quashes the Staff's power as the air further improves. The Chosen-son then drops to the cave floor and trembles with exhaustion. Saliva has formed on his chin, reminiscent for Linden of his time of long dissociation--and not seen since until this moment.

When Linden remarks on his tiredness from helping the company breathe, she mentions that he can recharge his strength for the moment, that he can just relax in anticipation of clearing the air when the company journeys further upriver.

Jeremiah asks, why should they follow the river anymore, when there is an ascending crevice that leads to cleaner air and likely also the Wightwarrens? After a moment's study, Linden's percipience agrees with her adopted son's: they must leave the river and climb up through that crevice.

But she encourages him to consider other ways of using the Staff besides refreshing the air. Jeremiah asks what she means by that. Linden replies he's here for reasons besides that Roger kidnapped him and Fangthane wants to use his gifts to trap the Creator. He's also here because the Creator chose him, and this Creator won't use manipulation to influence Jeremiah's uses of his gifts.

Then a surprising insight about the Creator occurs to Linden.

Quote:
"The Creator sees hope in you, honey. He sees things that might make a difference. That's why--" Oh, God. Did she have to say this? Did she have to face it? "That's why he didn't warn me before Roger got to you. If he had given me any hint that you might be in danger, I would have stopped Roger somehow. I would have taken you away so that he couldn't find you."

She had almost done so when she had seen images of Revelstone and Mount Thunder in her living room.

"The Creator didn't warn me because he needs you."


(WOW, it sounds plausible. Fondly remembering the beggar that told Covenant to Be true and told Linden You will not fail, I was dismayed when the Creator didn't make an appearance in the real-world prologue of Runes when I first read it. It seemed ominous, then. Seems like a good strategy, now. Smile)

Jeremiah looks at Linden and asks what is expected of him. Covenant replies for her, telling Jeremiah he must do something Foul doesn't expect.


Quote:
"Maybe," Covenant went on, "you think he marked you. Maybe you think being a halfhand means he has some kind of claim on you, some kind of special power over you. But that's backward. He didn't cut off those two fingers. Your mother did. And she did it so she could save the rest of your hand. Being a halfhand doesn't make you a victim. It makes you free.

"The Despiser doesn't know you as well as he thinks he does. He can't. Filling your head with visions is just a trick to keep you off-balance. He doesn't want you to see the truth. You're only his if you choose him."


Jeremiah protests that he sees reality when he sees the Worm moving. Covenant says that he, Jeremiah, is as real as the Worm, implying he can be as consequential. Jeremiah worries about Lord Foul's strength. Covenant says to Jeremiah that he doesn't have to be stronger, just do something unexpected. Hearing all this, Linden decides that she can trust Jeremiah to not give in to despair when he is tested by the Render; something about Covenant's answers has reassured her.

After a meal, the company walks up through the passageway led by Rime Coldspray and Bluff Stoutgirth, with Baf Scatterwit and Squallish Blustergale coming up last. They are all ascending on a ledge with a slate-like surface. At a break in this ledge, the company crosses it via a rope that sailors Wiver Setrock and Hurl are holding tight at opposite ends. The air quality continues to improve as they keep climbing above the river's level.

They have to turn a blind corner to the left and climb a shelf, and find themselves facing a wider ledge of slate. This ledge is seen to go onward to become a passage between opposing cave walls that converge. There at the convergence, the wall farther away is marked with holes that appear to be tunnels large enough for Giants to crawl through. And ahead on the ledge are piles of bones, some of them old and some still containing bloody meat being gnawed upon by rats. Linden senses there's something else nearby.

Quote:
"Thomas," she whispered: a dry croak.

He reached out to her. "What is it?" When she took his hand, he gripped her hard. "Do you sense something?"

"I can--" Linden tried to say; but her throat closed. She had to force out words. "Oh, Thomas. I can smell moksha."

The precise evil of Ravers was imprinted on her nerves. Her memories of turiya were bad enough. What moksha had done to her was worse.

Covenant stared at her. "Damnation." Darkness and light warred in the background of his gaze. Then he wheeled away.

"Branl!" he barked. "Coldspray! We're going to be attacked!"



The Giants and Haruchai ready themselves for combat. Stoutgirth orders Setrock, Furledsail, and Keenreef to clear the ledge of bones so that they can avoid tripping and falling off the ledge during combat. Baf Scatterwit (bless her willing heart) hobbles forward on her remaining foot to assist in this endeavor, but is restrained for her own safety by other sailors.

Linden uses her health-sense to sweep ahead into the tunnels, but finds nothing and cannot pinpoint moksha's location. Hurl holds aloft the krill that had been handed him by Branl (when Covenant announced an attack was coming), and sweeps the area with its light. Keenreef, Furledsail, and Setrock clear the bones from the ledge.

Deeming that enemies can't surprise them here and waiting is pointless, Coldspray and Stoutgirth order the company forward.

Around the next bend, there is a pile of large boulders blocking the ledge passageway. As they study the boulder pile to determine how to move it, a Giant-sized rock crashes against the wall above and sprays sharp shards among the company. Stave announces another large boulder is coming down. This one smashes through the ledge, leaving only an arm's-width of path to cross, which Linden fears to do chiefly because of concern for Covenant's vertigo.

Now Anchormaster Stoutgirth orders Setrock, Furledsail, and Keenreef to move the pile of boulders. Other sailors move to help, Hurl holds the krill to light their efforts, and Baf Scatterwit hobbles after Hurl (to provide moral support, perhaps?). Just after Stoutgirth and Coldspray cross the mostly-broken section of ledge, another granite boulder comes down to smash against the wall. When this boulder shatters, it sprays shards sharp enough to tear apart an unnamed Giant sailor. Furthermore, Squallish Blustergale has an artery in his shoulder cut by one of the shards, and frantically works to staunch his bleeding.

Seconds later, another tragedy strikes as Hurl takes a spear right into the center of his chest. (Alas! I didn't know Hurl for too many pages, mind you, but he seemed like a brave steadfast friend and I was quite sad to see him go. Sad ) He drops Loric's dagger after crashing against the wall, the krill bouncing into a slide towards the edge.

Branl dives over the break in the ledge to grab the krill before it falls out of reach. He holds its light aloft as Coldspray, Grueburn, and Kindwind respectively shield Covenant, Linden, and Jeremiah from a barrage of spears. Spears thrown by Cavewights standing in the tunnels of the opposite wall. The sailors grab what spears they can. A crying Scatterwit works to contain Blustergale's bleeding, disregarding his protest of, "Ward yourself! The wound is mine. I will staunch it."

Quote:
Near Linden, Earthpower burgeoned. Abruptly Jeremiah pushed past Kindwind's protection. Yelling words which he had heard Linden use, he found an open space, aimed the Staff of Law like a lance. "Melenkurion abatha!" From the wood's iron-shod end, black flame blared. "Duroc minas mill!" Magic lashed like lightning across the fissure, scoured its way into one of the tunnels. "Harad khabaal!" The Cavewights there caught fire, blazed in agony.

"Take that, you bastards!" Like Scatterwit, he was sobbing. "I'm learning! I'll kill you all!"

To Linden, Cavewights implied Roger Covenant. She shouted Jeremiah's name, fearing an eruption of Roger's laval fury. But she hardly heard herself over the roars and efforts of the Giants, the sharp strike of spears.

As the boy readied another blast, Stave reached him. Turning his back on the Cavewights, on the spears, Stave stepped in front of Jeremiah, forced Jeremiah to look at him. Calm as a breeze amid the turmoil, the former Master said, "Wield such strength with care, Chosen-son. It is new to you. Therefore it is uncertain."

"Rockbrother!" called Frostheart Grueburn.

Stave did not glance at the Swordmain. "Also," he told Jeremiah, "the ur-Lord's maimed son may join the assault at any moment. You must prepare to oppose him."

Cursing, Grueburn left Linden, leaped to stop a spear aimed at Stave. The frantic sweep of her sword missed: she took the shaft's point on her breastplate. It glanced away, clattered on the ledge.

"Roger?" cried Jeremiah. "You want me to fight Roger? How am I supposed to do that?"

"With care," Stave replied evenly. "With passion certainly, but also with care." Step by step, he urged Jeremiah back into the shelter of Cirrus Kindwind's bulk and armor.

Frantic and afraid, Linden searched the confusion with her senses; but she found no sign of Roger.

Abruptly the barrage of spears stopped. Responding to a signal that Linden did not hear or feel, all of the Cavewights withdrew from the gaping tunnels.


The barricade of boulders disintegrates and Cavewights charge along the ledge towards the company, bearing weapons and wearing stone armor. A sailor hit with a cudgel falls over the edge. Furledsail is slashed below the ribs, and Setrock saves her from falling. Stoutgirth orders his sailors away from the Cavewights to make way for the Swordmainnir, then laughingly moves at the Cavewights himself with the spear he has just pulled from Hurl's body.

The ledge is narrow enough that only four Cavewights can awkwardly advance. Stonemage and Bluntfist charge into the fray after letting the sailors pass by them, and Coldspray joins them after indicating Branl should guard Covenant. The Unbeliever insists he doesn't need Branl's protection, so Branl gives him Loric's weapon and charges into the fight. Covenant, Linden, Stave, Grueburn, Kindwind, and Jeremiah are left at the rear of the company. Blustergale comes bearing Furledsail, as he himself is being pulled along by sailors towards Linden. Setrock pushes Scatterwit back from the fight.

With their backs guarded by Stoutgirth and Coldspray, Bluntfist and Stonemage are initially successful in killing and driving back the Cavewights, aided by Branl's quick slashing tactics. But the greater number of the Cavewights forces them backward. Linden draws Earthpower from the Staff to heal Blustergale and Furledsail.

Stave calls her attention back to the battle, and she sees an unfamiliar Haruchai in the fight. Then another unknown Haruchai drops softly on the ledge from above. He scans the company, and his eyes lock on Covenant.

Quote:
For the first time, Linden saw open astonishment on the impassive face of a Haruchai.



(Does this mean the Masters weren't expecting to see Covenant alive again? What happened with Bhapa and Pahni's mission to Revelstone?
Wouldn't they be expected to relate such a detail? Looks like somebody's got some explaining to do! Huh?)
_________________
Jehannum
The Celebration of Spring

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 18419

Thanks: 11
Thanked 198 Times in 181 Posts

Location: The world of the Bowling Green Massacre
41399 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally caught up here. Thank you, Cord Hurn. I see from the Sign Up thread that this was the last chapter anyone volunteered for. Presumably, then, the least interesting chapter -- and you volunteered to take it on. That's the way you cowboy up! Now, let's show 'em that this chapter is pretty interesting.

Cord Hurn wrote:
and the Feroce disappear, after having guided the company faithfully since they began their journey under Thunder.

So long, Feroce. At the end, I believe the scales of judgment weighed in your favor: you were better good guys than bad ones. I don't think your forebears, the jheherrin, could have asked for more.

Cord Hurn wrote:
Then a surprising insight about the Creator occurs to Linden.
Quote:
"The Creator didn't warn me because he needs you."
(WOW, it sounds plausible. Fondly remembering the beggar that told Covenant to Be true and told Linden You will not fail, I was dismayed when the Creator didn't make an appearance in the real-world prologue of Runes when I first read it. It seemed ominous, then. Seems like a good strategy, now. Smile)

That is an interesting insight. But I wonder if Linden is touching on the truth, or if she has just found an interpretation that makes good sense to her.

I know that there are some other profound reasons that the Creator did not appear. I suppose it's possible that several reasons might apply, all just as equally. In fact, such an economy of plot points is rather a trademark of the author.

But there is some other juicy goodness from Covenant and Linden, as we rest here on this ledge under Mount Thunder.

In The Last Dark was wrote:
“But it isn’t that simple. Lord Foul isn’t the only one who chooses who comes to the Land. He picks us because he thinks that he can manipulate us, or because he thinks that we’re already his. But the Creator chooses us, too. They both picked us.” Covenant had taught her this. Now she pushed it further. “The only difference is, the Creator doesn’t manipulate us. He lets us make our own decisions.”

I really like that this was said.

First, this is harkening back to an old question left around from the first Chronicles. At one point, Foul says he has chosen Covenant; at another, the Creator says that he has. Here, the author is saying that they both chose. Mystery solved ... unless you start to ponder how they can both choose.

Second, consider that here Linden ties the act of manipulation to Despite, while foregoing manipulation is the hallmark of the Creator. The Creator lets you choose freely, while the Despiser tries to control your choices.

This is significant because, in AATE, we learn that Covenant was also a manipulator. As the Timewarden, he manipulated Linden's choices. Defying every necessity that sustained the Earth and the Land, he had pointed her toward the ineffable catastrophe of his resurrection.

Cord Hurn wrote:
Covenant replies for her, telling Jeremiah he must do something Foul doesn't expect.

This is more significant if you consider the previous point. Foul is a manipulator. The way you defeat manipulators is to do what they don't expect. What manipulators do is put you in a situation where if you do what they think your going to do, they will win. So when you don't do what they think you're going to do, they don't win. Just the mere act of being unpredictable breaks you free of their tangled web - it almost makes no difference what you do, as long as it's unexpected. And the more you do what they don't expect, the harder it is for them to corner you. Covenant has told Linden since the beginning.

In The Runes of the Earth was wrote:
“I said, I understand how you feel. It's too much to ask of anyone. Don't worry about that. Do something they don't expect.

Like what? she countered in tears. All I have is your ring. It isn't mine. It isn't me. It doesn't belong to me the way it did to you. I don't understand any of this.

Don't worry about that, he said again. Already his voice had begun to recede from her. Trust yourself. She could barely hear him. Do something they don't expect.

And the comment about half-hands is also very interesting.

In The Last Dark was wrote:
“Maybe,” Covenant went on, “you think he marked you. Maybe you think being a halfhand means he has some kind of claim on you, some kind of special power over you. But that’s backward. He didn’t cut off those two fingers. Your mother did. And she did it so she could save the rest of your hand. Being a halfhand doesn’t make you a victim. It makes you free.”

Covenant is himself a half-hand. So he has some authority on this topic. And he reveals here, after being equated to Berek, and after the three maimed Bloodguard, and after the Humbled, that he equates the loss of his two fingers as nothing less than freedom - as the sign of a grasping prison that was escaped. Scars of honor.

In The Last Dark was wrote:
“You're only his if you choose him.”

And this may be the most profound bit of all. This is the answer to the question of Jeremiah's loyalty, and to Foul's mark upon him. Again, Covenant has some authority on the topic, after having traded his life for Joan's.

Donaldson has said "Self-mastery (the ability to choose one's own thoughts and emotions) is the only truly human form of power." The entire Chronicles, all three series, is about this power to choose. Foul can do a lot, but only you can choose.

In The Last Dark was wrote:
Even the Despiser in his fury and frustration could not satisfy all of his desires without the ability to create.

And another profundity!

The Despiser can't create. Duh! He is destruction, the antithesis of his brother, the Creator. This is why he needs Jeremiah - Jeremiah is a font of creative ability.

And also, this: Foul, too, is not whole. Foul, too, needs completion.

And, finally, we end with this last profound observation:

In The Last Dark was wrote:
“Maybe Roger had the right idea. Maybe we should all try to become gods.”

Think on that, ye mighty, and dismay. After so many profound statements, dare we take this one lightly?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 18419

Thanks: 11
Thanked 198 Times in 181 Posts

Location: The world of the Bowling Green Massacre
41399 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally caught up here. Thank you, Cord Hurn. I see from the Sign Up thread that this was the last chapter anyone volunteered for. Presumably, then, the least interesting chapter -- and you volunteered to take it on. That's the way you cowboy up! Now, let's show 'em that this chapter is pretty interesting.

Cord Hurn wrote:
and the Feroce disappear, after having guided the company faithfully since they began their journey under Thunder.

So long, Feroce. At the end, I believe the scales of judgment weighed in your favor: you were better good guys than bad ones. I don't think your forebears, the jheherrin, could have asked for more.

Cord Hurn wrote:
Then a surprising insight about the Creator occurs to Linden.
Quote:
"The Creator didn't warn me because he needs you."
(WOW, it sounds plausible. Fondly remembering the beggar that told Covenant to Be true and told Linden You will not fail, I was dismayed when the Creator didn't make an appearance in the real-world prologue of Runes when I first read it. It seemed ominous, then. Seems like a good strategy, now. Smile)

That is an interesting insight. But I wonder if Linden is touching on the truth, or if she has just found an interpretation that makes good sense to her.

I know that there are some other profound reasons that the Creator did not appear. I suppose it's possible that several reasons might apply, all just as equally. In fact, such an economy of plot points is rather a trademark of the author.

But there is some other juicy goodness from Covenant and Linden, as we rest here on this ledge under Mount Thunder.

In The Last Dark was wrote:
“But it isn’t that simple. Lord Foul isn’t the only one who chooses who comes to the Land. He picks us because he thinks that he can manipulate us, or because he thinks that we’re already his. But the Creator chooses us, too. They both picked us.” Covenant had taught her this. Now she pushed it further. “The only difference is, the Creator doesn’t manipulate us. He lets us make our own decisions.”

I really like that this was said.

First, this is harkening back to an old question left around from the first Chronicles. At one point, Foul says he has chosen Covenant; at another, the Creator says that he has. Here, the author is saying that they both chose. Mystery solved ... unless you start to ponder how they can both choose.

Second, consider that here Linden ties the act of manipulation to Despite, while foregoing manipulation is the hallmark of the Creator. The Creator lets you choose freely, while the Despiser tries to control your choices.

This is significant because, in AATE, we learn that Covenant was also a manipulator. As the Timewarden, he manipulated Linden's choices. Defying every necessity that sustained the Earth and the Land, he had pointed her toward the ineffable catastrophe of his resurrection.

Cord Hurn wrote:
Covenant replies for her, telling Jeremiah he must do something Foul doesn't expect.

This is more significant if you consider the previous point. Foul is a manipulator. The way you defeat manipulators is to do what they don't expect. What manipulators do is put you in a situation where if you do what they think your going to do, they will win. So when you don't do what they think you're going to do, they don't win. Just the mere act of being unpredictable breaks you free of their tangled web - it almost makes no difference what you do, as long as it's unexpected. And the more you do what they don't expect, the harder it is for them to corner you. Covenant has told Linden since the beginning.

In The Runes of the Earth was wrote:
“I said, I understand how you feel. It's too much to ask of anyone. Don't worry about that. Do something they don't expect.

Like what? she countered in tears. All I have is your ring. It isn't mine. It isn't me. It doesn't belong to me the way it did to you. I don't understand any of this.

Don't worry about that, he said again. Already his voice had begun to recede from her. Trust yourself. She could barely hear him. Do something they don't expect.

And the comment about half-hands is also very interesting.

In The Last Dark was wrote:
“Maybe,” Covenant went on, “you think he marked you. Maybe you think being a halfhand means he has some kind of claim on you, some kind of special power over you. But that’s backward. He didn’t cut off those two fingers. Your mother did. And she did it so she could save the rest of your hand. Being a halfhand doesn’t make you a victim. It makes you free.”

Covenant is himself a half-hand. So he has some authority on this topic. And he reveals here, after being equated to Berek, and after the three maimed Bloodguard, and after the Humbled, that he equates the loss of his two fingers as nothing less than freedom - as the sign of a grasping prison that was escaped. Scars of honor.

In The Last Dark was wrote:
“You're only his if you choose him.”

And this may be the most profound bit of all. This is the answer to the question of Jeremiah's loyalty, and to Foul's mark upon him. Again, Covenant has some authority on the topic, after having traded his life for Joan's.

Donaldson has said "Self-mastery (the ability to choose one's own thoughts and emotions) is the only truly human form of power." The entire Chronicles, all three series, is about this power to choose. Foul can do a lot, but only you can choose.

In The Last Dark was wrote:
Even the Despiser in his fury and frustration could not satisfy all of his desires without the ability to create.

And another profundity!

The Despiser can't create. Duh! He is destruction, the antithesis of his brother, the Creator. This is why he needs Jeremiah - Jeremiah is a font of creative ability.

And also, this: Foul, too, is not whole. Foul, too, needs completion.

And, finally, we end with this last profound observation:

In The Last Dark was wrote:
“Maybe Roger had the right idea. Maybe we should all try to become gods.”

Think on that, ye mighty, and dismay. After so many profound statements, dare we take this one lightly?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 3904

Thanks: 889
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
2426 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
That is an interesting insight. But I wonder if Linden is touching on the truth, or if she has just found an interpretation that makes good sense to her.


It's quite subjective, so I choose to believe her insight is on the money because it makes me feel good to think I've got the answer. Big Grin
_________________
Jehannum
The Celebration of Spring

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 3904

Thanks: 889
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
2426 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
This is significant because, in AATE, we learn that Covenant was also a manipulator. As the Timewarden, he manipulated Linden's choices. Defying every necessity that sustained the Earth and the Land, he had pointed her toward the ineffable catastrophe of his resurrection.



I've believed from the moment I read the last chapter of Fatal Revenant that Thomas Covenant is at least as culpable as Linden Avery for the awakening of the Worm, what with all that "find Me'" stuff he communicated to her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 3904

Thanks: 889
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
2426 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
First, this is harkening back to an old question left around from the first Chronicles. At one point, Foul says he has chosen Covenant; at another, the Creator says that he has. Here, the author is saying that they both chose. Mystery solved ... unless you start to ponder how they can both choose.


I must confess, wayfriend, that I have never been able to fathom how both The Creator and the Despiser can choose the same representative from our world, and their agreement enables translation. (Could this mean they also agreed on Hile Troy when Atiaran's summoning went wrong? Confused )
_________________
Jehannum
The Celebration of Spring

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 3904

Thanks: 889
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
2426 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
Foul is a manipulator. The way you defeat manipulators is to do what they don't expect. What manipulators do is put you in a situation where if you do what they think your going to do, they will win. So when you don't do what they think you're going to do, they don't win. Just the mere act of being unpredictable breaks you free of their tangled web - it almost makes no difference what you do, as long as it's unexpected. And the more you do what they don't expect, the harder it is for them to corner you.


This is a beautiful thing weaving throughout the LC plot, and made me interested in what Linden would do from the moment she escaped Mithil Stonedown (recall she went in the opposite direction from where Lord Foul would expect her to go,.)

Covenant to Jeremiah: "The Despiser doesn't know you as well as he thinks he does. He can't. Filling your heads with visions is just a trick to keep you off-balance. He doesn't want you to see the truth. You're only his if you choose him." The neat thing about this do something unexpected strategy is that it keeps Lord Foul off balance. I savor the poetic justice being done to Fangthane at such times (appropriate payback legal tender for the arrogant Render, I say).
_________________
Jehannum
The Celebration of Spring

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 18419

Thanks: 11
Thanked 198 Times in 181 Posts

Location: The world of the Bowling Green Massacre
41399 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cord Hurn wrote:
wayfriend wrote:
This is significant because, in AATE, we learn that Covenant was also a manipulator. As the Timewarden, he manipulated Linden's choices. Defying every necessity that sustained the Earth and the Land, he had pointed her toward the ineffable catastrophe of his resurrection.

I've believed from the moment I read the last chapter of Fatal Revenant that Thomas Covenant is at least as culpable as Linden Avery for the awakening of the Worm, what with all that "find Me'" stuff he communicated to her.

If you put it all together (Covenant is a manipulator; manipulators take away your freedom; only beings like Foul want to take away your freedom) it says something dark about Covenant. He took away Linden's freedom. He was acting as the Despiser would.

I don't think that such an observation was unintended by the author.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 3904

Thanks: 889
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
2426 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
If you put it all together (Covenant is a manipulator; manipulators take away your freedom; only beings like Foul want to take away your freedom) it says something dark about Covenant. He took away Linden's freedom. He was acting as the Despiser would.

I don't think that such an observation was unintended by the author.


And yet, Covenant was motivated by love of Linden into this error, a motivation I cannot credibly attribute to the Despiser. What might be concluded from this? That the road to Desecration is paved as solidly with good intentions as with bad? That violating freedom undermines the moral structure of the world? That good cannot be accomplished by evil means, or it makes it that much harder to accomplish the good?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 3904

Thanks: 889
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
2426 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:

In The Last Dark was wrote:
Even the Despiser in his fury and frustration could not satisfy all of his desires without the ability to create.

And another profundity!

The Despiser can't create. Duh! He is destruction, the antithesis of his brother, the Creator. This is why he needs Jeremiah - Jeremiah is a font of creative ability.

And also, this: Foul, too, is not whole. Foul, too, needs completion.


It's a sentence in this chapter that I've easily overlooked, yet its meaning is indeed profound. Lord Foul is incomplete, will never be whole, by himself. So much for his being the One Word of Truth. I think the only time he has ever succeeded in making anything was when he used corrupt tools like the Illearth Stone. (But I could be wrong---how did he make Ridjeck Thome?)
_________________
Jehannum
The Celebration of Spring

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 3904

Thanks: 889
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
2426 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When he ducked his head to mutter as if he were ashamed, "Maybe Roger had the right idea. Maybe we should all try to become gods," she seemed to hear the croyel in him: the legacy of being possessed.
Yet she did not hear scorn. Bitterness, yes. Fear. Self-pity. But not contempt. He had other birthrights as well. Surely she could try to believe that they would come to his aid when he needed them. Surely she should trust him, no matter how much his distress hurt her, or how much she feared for him? She would not be there for him when his plight came to its crisis. Trusting him now might be the last gift that she would ever be able to give him.


We know that Linden has come into a confident wisdom about what role she's going to play in the world's defense, and that she knows she's on the right track by facing her worst fear and by seeking a specific forgiveness. But in this chapter is where we see Jeremiah making his own plan to save the world. Like wayfriend has implied above, we can't dismiss Jeremiah's statement. Jeremiah knows now what his unexpected moves will turn out to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Group Readings -> Last Chronicles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by Earthpower © Kevin's Watch