Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Reads Best Books 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General Literature Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Immanentizing The Eschaton

23882 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Good Reads Best Books 2014 Reply with quote

http://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-books-2014

Of course I have read none of them. Very Happy

--A

Last edited by Avatar on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7213 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Good Reads BEst Books 2014 Reply with quote

http://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-books-2014

Of course I have read none of them. Very Happy

--A
That's because they are garbage! Razz

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

22243 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a "who has the most vocal fanbase" contest. Nothing particularly wrong with that, mind you. Just means the best books get left among the nominees.

Mod of the General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Forum
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

43237 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing in that list I particularly want to read.
Hold the odds against thee now.
Straightly be adjured, witling:-
- The Finding of the Gnosis, or, Apotheosis of an Ideal
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14467 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a copy of "Red Rising" in my WFC book bag this year. Will have to give it a whirl.

I keep looking at those Deborah Harkness books and stepping away from them. They seem a little lightweight to me. But maybe I'm wrong.

The Gabaldon has been on my TBR list (but not actually purchased yet) since it came out.

Which is all to say that I haven't read any of them, either. Laughing Also, what Murrin said. Winning any crowdsourced award requires a vocal and mobilized fan base, which the best book in the contest may not have.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

http://www.hearth-myth.com/
I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

22243 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anway, looking at nominees:

Fantasy: City of Stairs is very good. I've not read The Goblin Emperor yet but I've been hearing it praised all over the place.

SciFi: Annihilation is great. Scalzi's latest is good. Ancillary Sword is one of the best books of the year.

Horror: Broken Monsters is a good one. I've not read the rest but The Girl with All the Gifts is on my long list of 2014 releases I've heard good things about and need to read. (The winner, Ann Rice, is on my unofficial "don't touch with a ten foot pole" list.)

Comics: Saga! Locke & Key! Ms Marvel! Wonder Woman! Sex Criminals! Seconds! This One Summer! Rat Queens! Through The Woods! Chew! Pretty Deadly! I have read half of the things on this list and they are all brilliant. Which suggests I need to try the others on the list.

I've not read anything from the other categories, although I've heard good things about Brown Girl Dreaming from the middle grade/childrens section.

Mod of the General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Forum
peter
the spider from Mars

28563 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best book I read in 2014 [or was it 2013 - anyway....] was Les Miserables by Hugo but more importantly to note, in the Norman Denny translation. I can't read the french version [alas] but Denny, rather than sticking literally with a 'word for word' translation opted to keep more in the 'spirit' of the original and in doing so retained the 'poetry' of the french text in the translated prose. The result was a staggering sucess. It was a beautiful rambling illogical mess of a book that by turns educated, enlightened, and wrenched one through the lives of 'the wretched' whose story it told. One finishes the work with a deeper and enriched understanding of why our world so often fails to live up to its promise and a greater sympathy for those who struggle aginst a yoke of poverty from which they can never break free.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
michaelm
Kevin's Watchmaker

Male

3559 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Covenant's Novels1 Earthblood1 Skyweir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter wrote:
Best book I read in 2014 [or was it 2013 - anyway....] was Les Miserables by Hugo but more importantly to note, in the Norman Denny translation. I can't read the french version [alas] but Denny, rather than sticking literally with a 'word for word' translation opted to keep more in the 'spirit' of the original and in doing so retained the 'poetry' of the french text in the translated prose. The result was a staggering sucess. It was a beautiful rambling illogical mess of a book that by turns educated, enlightened, and wrenched one through the lives of 'the wretched' whose story it told. One finishes the work with a deeper and enriched understanding of why our world so often fails to live up to its promise and a greater sympathy for those who struggle aginst a yoke of poverty from which they can never break free.

I've read it a couple of times, but not in a recent translation. What irritated me about the translation I read was that the two chapters that interrupt the 'action' that are often moved out of sequence were indeed moved to the back of the book.

It's a hell of a book and having seen the musical (which I assume is most people's exposure to it) the spirit of the book is not captured at all. I would assume the same is true for the various film versions.

It's a very, very moving book and it's so easy to get emotionally carried away with situations, especially those that take a long time to resolve. While I generally hate death bed scenes for the fact that they are so often a blunt and ill-executed implement to tug on the heart strings (cf. Oscar Wilde's comments about Little Dorrit's death bed scene), Valjean's death bed scene is incredibly moving, particularly his reconciliation with Cosette.
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14467 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to read more Scalzi. I've only read a couple of his books, but I liked them a lot.

(Oh gods -- Anne Rice.... Laughing )

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

http://www.hearth-myth.com/
deer of the dawn
On a mission from God

FemaleRanyhyn

9420 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soaring Woodhelvin1 Oath of Peace1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read any either, but the Atwood book has possibilities (haven't read Atwood in decades). Thank God no "50 Shades" made the cut!!

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Photobucket is a bunch of everloving chickenpluckers. Rumfudgery!!! Cussing

May the I that is truly I
Sing to the Thou that is truly Thou.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General Literature Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: