Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi, I'm Sgt.Null and I love comic books.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Comics and Cartoons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8552 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Hi, I'm Sgt.Null and I love comic books. Reply with quote

most everyone knows me as the crazy guy who overposts in Mallory's. but in their wisdom the ptb have decided to give me some responsibility. and it happens to be the board advocating my favorite hobby.

I started reading comics sometime in the mid 70's. the earliest that I can remember buying would be DC Comic's Freedom Fighters, which came out in April of 1976. making me about to turn eight years old, third grade. I am sure I read them before that, but my collecting them started then.

I bought my comics at the local convenience store, Korner Kupboard. they got mostly DC Comics, with a handful of Marvel titles.

from DC : Justice League of America, Adventure, Action, Detective, Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Batman, Freedom Fighters, Sgt. Rock, Weird Western Tales, House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Brave and the Bold, DC Comics Present, Teen Titans- and many more.

from Marvel : Avengers, Power Man and Iron Fist, Marvel Two In One, Invaders and others.

so I missed out on Spider Man, Captain America, Hulk, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil among others.

up the road, a bit was Jennings Supermarket. there I could buy the Marvel titles. but less frequently for me. and I enjoyed what I was reading.

I also bought the Archie Digests featuring the Red Circle heroes. still a huge fan of that line.

I continued collecting after graduation and being single. and when I married, Julie endorsed my comics habit.

I buy much less nowadays. tending to haunt Half Price for cheap graphic novels and back issues. I think I may have around ten titles on my pull list.

I love the Golden Age heroes (WWII) and love obscure heroes. and I love the 70's comics. having gone back and buying the Invaders collections, the Omega the Unknown collection, an almost complete run of Nova and a partial run of SSoSV.

I tend to favor team books, more heroes for the bucks. I love Steve Ditko. and I am mostly singular here in my love for him. I love Grant Morrison.

I am deeply disappointed in DC's new 52. and tend to think comics are too dark and violent nowadays. I believe that overall, Marvel is publishing better books as a whole.

I love talking about comics. be it historical or recent. I've read most everything out there nowadays, thanks to our great public library system in this county.

so let me know what you like. what you would like to see. what you dislike. and I love the cartoons based on comics. I grew up watching Super Friends. Saturday morning cartoons and sugar cereal for the win!

I do watch a lot of the comic book movies, but not all of them.

I will try to get some cartoon postings up.

meanwhile feel free to read my reviews in hopes I might turn you on to some comics you may have not tried before.

if there is some desire for it, we could try a group read? let me know.

thank you for your time - null
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like when comics like DC or Marvel try to be too deep or dark, they fail. Those types of comics should be fun... or feature the Man-Thing and the High Evolutionary.... preferably in the same comic...and the Comet!

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
sgt.null

MaleRanyhyn

8552 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:
It seems like when comics like DC or Marvel try to be too deep or dark, they fail. Those types of comics should be fun... or feature the Man-Thing and the High Evolutionary.... preferably in the same comic...and the Comet!

I would buy that comic.
sgt.null

MaleRanyhyn

8552 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well series ending within this past year that I collect...

Justice League Dark
Hawkeye
Fables
Animal Man
All-Star Western

DC and Marvel don't seem to like me much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Comics and Cartoons All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: