Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anything but WoW?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Forum Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
Wormmark of the Weirdwurd

1511 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Anything but WoW? Reply with quote

You ner--people should check out LegendMud (shameless plug). I'll assume anyone who has read the Covenant books is old enough to know what a MUD is.

This one is based on history and myth, and is ridiculously hand-built and unique, with almost all (or all) of the areas being written by pretentious grad students who put grad student levels of research into their area, because apparently their dissertations didn't take up enough of their time.

For example, in the Dartmoor area there is a mob called Moran the giant, and there is an old(ancient?) tale of said giant, in real life Dartmoor, but apparently you have to have almost been born there to know it, and the writer wasn't born there. Doubt he actually went there either.

All that being said, the original creator of Legend went on to found an early (the first?) MMO, and a lot of themes/mechanics/etc inherent in basically all MMOs come from Legend.

In particular, a lot of the emotes and moods (speech patterns) you see in MMOs are straight up 100% ripped out of Legend.

So yeah, came here to write something about Dragons Dogma, but this just slipped out. Shocked

The thing most people don't remember in regards to the Haruchai, is that you NEVER EVER play poker with them!
Linna Heartbooger
keeper of many stories

FemaleRanyhyn

6260 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mithil Stonedown1 Caamora1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything but WoW? Reply with quote

Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:
You ner--people should check out LegendMud (shameless plug). I'll assume anyone who has read the Covenant books is old enough to know what a MUD is.
Yup for me... I've been addic--er, spent a fair amount of time playing one or two muds awhile back!

Do you currently play LegendMud?

Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:
This one is based on history and myth, and is ridiculously hand-built and unique, with almost all (or all) of the areas being written by pretentious grad students who put grad student levels of research into their area, because apparently their dissertations didn't take up enough of their time.

For example, in the Dartmoor area there is a mob called Moran the giant, and there is an old(ancient?) tale of said giant, in real life Dartmoor, but apparently you have to have almost been born there to know it, and the writer wasn't born there. Doubt he actually went there either.
Ahahah... that is a great description!

deer of the dawn's anti-recommendation of "Gilead"
My anti-recommendation of the same. (hers is shorter!)
Both are on the Watch's excellent "Anti-Recommendations of your Favorite Books" thread.

'"He will wipe the tears from all faces." It takes nothing from the loveliness of the verse to say that is exactly what will be required.' -Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson
Immanentizing The Eschaton

23498 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No MMO's, no MUD's. Just GT. Very Happy

--A

Sorus
eternal antagonist

21186 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soar1 Pocket Knife

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played MUDs in years, though there were a few I played that are actually still around in one form or another. Haven't really played many MMOs besides WoW either - who has time? We (my guild) did get into WildStar when it first came out - formed a guild and did some stuff and then went back to WoW. It was fun, and they had some neat ideas (some of which have been stol-- borrowed by WoW now) - but at the end of the day it was very similar. Then again, I only got a character to level 20-something, so I can't say what the endgame had to offer.

And someone here tried to get me into Star Trek Online, which I was literally unable to get into due to patching issues, and that's probably for the better.

Burn your white flags
Refuse to surrender
And raise your red flags
To remember
To remember

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Forum Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: