Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SRD's Views on LOTR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> J.R.R. Tolkien Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew
Haligonian

Male

920 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: SRD's Views on LOTR Reply with quote

Stephen R Donaldson in the GI wrote:
...I never saw the appeal of the Hobbits, and Bilbo's birthday party made me want to quit reading half a dozen times. (Years later, when I read "The Hobbit," I did so entirely out of a sense of obligation to LOTR. I never actually enjoyed it.) The process by which I fell in love with the books was so gradual that I didn't notice I was in love until I reached the Mines of Moria

I was kind of the same way.
I read the Hobbit first, and I found that it started out like it was for kids, but it aged as it moved along.

When I read LOTR I felt the same thing...I mean, I like the Hobbits; once they were on their way, but Bilbo's party, and then the Scouring at the end I found fairly Childish.
the kind you keep for a really long time
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male

1678 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me.
I always liked both the beginning and the ending very much.
And after multiple reads since I was a kid those two parts are now my favorite. (though my favorite chapters change over the years as I do)
I read once that even Tolkien said that his writing style changed after "Flight to the Fords".

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
burgs
Enthusiastic oenophile

54 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first started with The Hobbit, in 6th or 7th grade, and found Bilbo's and Gandalf's greetings a bit odd in the first few pages. Of course, it was very "British", so of course it was odd to me. I didn't like it, and though I'd only read maybe 5-10 pages, returned the book to the library, and didn't check it out again until my friend who had convinced me to check it out in the first place further prevailed on my common sense. I gave it a second shot, and couldn't imagine what my problem was the first time through. I loved it, and when I was told at the end of that book that if I wanted to learn more about Hobbits, I should read The Lord of the Rings. That was like a summons to me. None of Tolkien's published works have ever done anything but inspire, and leave me, frankly, breathless, since.

I don't think it likely that in our lifetime anyone will surpass his achievement. Including SRD. (There. I said it.)
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

4144 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolkien deserves his acclaim for popularizing fantasy in modern times, but I maintain that Donaldson is the better writer, by far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> J.R.R. Tolkien Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: