Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worst Book Ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General Literature Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelm
Kevin's Watchmaker

Male

3559 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Covenant's Novels1 Earthblood1 Skyweir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ussusimiel wrote:
With Joyce this means that all of his work is full of Irish-English that accurately reflects much of the way we still speak today. Joyce is also inclined to include and play on Gaelic words and as Gaelic is still compulsory in school, most Irish people will get at least some of that wordplay. There are also the placenames (which are always important in Ireland), the names of places in Dublin and around the country turn up consistently throughout Finnegan's Wake especially.

With Yeats much the same applies, he invokes placenames regularly and he also uses Celtic myths and stories that again are regularly taught as part of our schooling. It's not necessarily the understanding of these things as the immersion and the feeling of ownership of them that is a part of being Irish. I have no doubt it is the same experience for an English person reading Larkin or Betjeman.

u.

I think I found Yeats harder to read than Joyce though (quick background, I grew up in southern England with an English mother and Northern Irish father and have never spent any extended time either north or south of the border in Ireland), and that's probably because there are some assumptions in Yeats that the reader has at least some understanding of the myths.

With Joyce there is less of that, but his works are certainly steeped in the culture of the Ireland of his day.
peter
the spider from Mars

27263 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you 12 yo as well Av? Wink

Orlion, could you explain what you mean by 'form' in the sense you use it above. [I need all the help I can get in this area! Very Happy.]

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7212 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Pétermane wrote:

Orlion, could you explain what you mean by 'form' in the sense you use it above. [I need all the help I can get in this area! Very Happy.]

I could.

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14432 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But apparently, he won't. Laughing

Orlion wrote:
Life of Pi was pure, idiotic dribble. It seems I am usually pretty good at finding stuff I like to read, but when I decide to check what others like or do something like a book club, it's garbage! All garbage! Razz

Av wrote:
Haha, I thought it sucked too. Very Happy

It's unanimous, then. Laughing

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

http://www.hearth-myth.com/
Immanentizing The Eschaton

23195 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Pétermane wrote:
Were you 12 yo as well Av? Wink

When I read Portrait of the Artist? I think I was about 13 as it happens. (I wasn't referring to it when I said it sucked though.) I struggled with it, but it did give me an idea for a series of poems, and for several years following I wrote a few, all titled "Portrait of a..." something. Very Happy

--A

peter
the spider from Mars

27263 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:
Le Pétermane wrote:

I could.

.....have danced all night?.........have been a contender?

Ahhh, have cared less!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Mighara Sovmadhi
A shadow on the heart of the Earth

Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010
9377 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDK, lucked out and pretty much have never read a book I didn't like enough. Except... maybe that's not how I'm seeing the question...

There was one book, I got really angry about it for some reason and refused to continue it, or the series it was in. I don't think it was necessarily terribly written or anything, just, it made me mad, and other books have too, probably, but this one I stopped reading anyway.

... Somewhat tongue-in-cheek: I recently had to go through the IRS booklet about the Shared Responsibility Payment, and maybe I was too blazed or something but it felt like some stupid Choose-Your-Own-Adventure thing, like you seemingly had to jump back and forth between these steps and tables and subtables or whatever. Took me forever to figure out how to come up with a number for the SRP. So, maybe the "worst booklet" I've read haha.

For some reason The Vorhh(sp.?) is like the Tom Bombadil sections of TFOTR, for me, I've tried twice to read it and just can't get anywhere. It seems like the opening involves someone jerking off right before he dies, but IDK.

I feel like if I read Mein Kampf, I'd find something about it, stylistically as well as content-wise, to be among the worst of any book I'd read. But who knows, IDK, I feel sorta the same about "Worlds In Collision" or w/e by Velitovsky(?), the book about the fringe pseudo-theory or something about Earth colliding with other planets in the distant past (I believe was the thesis). And that's a book I've actually read parts of, IIRC.

Speaking of pseudoscience, there was one YE-creationist "school textbook" a coworker at a junior college had me read one time, and the quote-manipulation in it right p**sed me off, I don't think I finished that one, either.
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

4144 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any book I started reading that I found to be lousy was quickly forgotten, including the title.
deer of the dawn
On a mission from God

FemaleRanyhyn

9313 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soaring Woodhelvin1 Oath of Peace1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:
But apparently, he won't. Laughing

Orlion wrote:
Life of Pi was pure, idiotic dribble. It seems I am usually pretty good at finding stuff I like to read, but when I decide to check what others like or do something like a book club, it's garbage! All garbage! Razz

Av wrote:
Haha, I thought it sucked too. Very Happy

It's unanimous, then. Laughing

Question: Do you think you would have hated it if it hadn't been so vaunted as the Most Amazing Book Ever?

I was unimpressed, although I liked the tone of the writing and the aspect that you weren't entirely sure what was real and what was hallucination... other than that it was just fairly forgettable.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Photobucket is a bunch of everloving chickenpluckers. Rumfudgery!!! Cussing

May the I that is truly I
Sing to the Thou that is truly Thou.
peter
the spider from Mars

27263 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it won an award or something? Confused

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

23195 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did The English Patient and Last Orders... Wink

deer of the dawn wrote:
Question: Do you think you would have hated it if it hadn't been so vaunted as the Most Amazing Book Ever?

I dunno, it probably contributed to my dislike, but I would have preferred the real story of being shipwrecked and having to eat people etc. than the hallucination that made it all "Disney."

--A

Nanothnir
Elohim

1325 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really remember, but I guess the books I liked least were some works by Victorian novelist Marie Corelli. I sort of liked parts of The Soul of Lilith, but the book's so dated that it just seems strange to a modern reader. It isn't like HG Wells where you can still enjoy War of the Worlds. I also read another book by her (well really only the first 20% or so of the book because it was too goddamn boring...) called Life Everlasting.

"Soul of Lilith" was about some Turkish guy living in London who was running an occult experiment where he kept a teenage girl's body "alive" (she died when she was 8 years old) and communicates with her soul that is still bound to the body. He commands the soul to explore other planes of existence. I think he gets in an argument with a priest or bishop regarding the ethics of his experiment. I kind of lost interest after that point.

"Life Everlasting" was about some woman who was dying (apparently although she seemed healthy enough) and met some freaky portrait artist who promised her a form of immortality (quite literally) if he painted her. It was so dull I couldn't continue.

George Orwell's 1984 was also a book I would never read again. While it was well-written and served to make a political point (communism sucks), it was so damn depressing (and not in a particularly "good" way). I am pretty sure I needed therapy after reading that book as a teen.

An honorable mention for a recent book that I didn't like and won't ever finish is The Darkling Child by Terry Brooks. It's the second book in trilogy of "stand-alone" YA novels.

The first book was readable (but not really memorable -- just "meh") but had some creepy scenes of some outlaw wizard perving on the 15-year-old sister of the protagonist. Things like kidnapping her (twice...for fuck's sake) after knocking her unconscious and flying her over creation to his dark lair (a brothel called "DARK HOUSE"... so edgy). He strips her naked and ties her "spread-eagled" to a bed (Brooks' own words). When she comes to, he fucks with her by rubbing his hand up her hip, admiring her body, and then offering her a job (repeatedly) as a whore in his brothel specifically aimed at society's worst perverts.

The second book follows the characters 5 years later. Same bad guy is on the loose (he killed a wizard-cop and has to go into hiding). He tries to get a teenage boy (with magical powers) on his side by having a 15-year-old girl he hired make him fall in love with her by repeatedly sleeping with him. Oh and the bad-guy wizard and the girl made a contract that she would marry him "when she's old enough and they feel it's the right time" if he teaches her magic.

The boy falls head-over-heels for her and becomes the submissive one in the relationship. What follows is so much teenage angst and drama that I literally wanted to puke.

And do you want to know the most ridiculous part of the story? The boy's magic involves screaming at people until they explode into ground beef and blood stains. "Reeeeee"
peter
the spider from Mars

27263 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Nanothnir, your description of Soul of Lilith has almost got me hooked! I want to read that book! Laughing

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Nanothnir
Elohim

1325 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter wrote:
Damn Nanothnir, your description of Soul of Lilith has almost got me hooked! I want to read that book! Laughing

The book wasn't bad, but the whole Victorian aspect of it just rubbed me the wrong way. I actually enjoyed the whole supernatural element of it.

23195 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanothnir wrote:

George Orwell's 1984 was also a book I would never read again. While it was well-written and served to make a political point (communism sucks), it was so damn depressing (and not in a particularly "good" way). I am pretty sure I needed therapy after reading that book as a teen.

I've read it many times...one of the scariest horror stories ever. Very Happy

--A

peter
the spider from Mars

27263 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a joint read of it back to back with Brave New World Av. That was a good juxtaposition!

Now I love that Victorian essence that pervades writing of the period - it's probably why steampunk hit a ready made spot in me as well.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Horrim Carabal
Unlikely Ally

Male

16 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Earthblood1 Glimmermere1 Croyel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, a quick reading of Animal Farm will fix you right up after finishing 1984.

Wait...
peter
the spider from Mars

27263 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last read it when I was 14 in English class at school; fair to say that I wasn't at my most receptive age for literature,but even then could see something in the book worth pursuing. Needless to say I never did! Rolling Eyes

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

23195 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrim Carabal wrote:
Don't worry, a quick reading of Animal Farm will fix you right up after finishing 1984.

Wait...

LOL

1984 was worse though. (I mean more horrifying anyway.)

I found the end of Animal Farm more ironic than frightening.

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

19007 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewwww Animal Farm .. just disturbing Sad

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General Literature Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: