Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Mist
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Stephen King Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

20417 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: The Mist Reply with quote

It's finally happening!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0884328/
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8769 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Cail. I'm really looking forward to this. my favorite King story finally adapted to screen.
Roland of Gilead
Ka-Tet leader

Male

0 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Darabont directed The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption. This is guaranteed to kick ass!!!!! Very Happy You Rock
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

20417 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was thinking nearly the opposite. I'm not a fan of either film. Don't get me wrong, Shawshank was pretty good, but I don't think it deserved the copious praise that was heaped upon it.

The Green Mile made me want to gag.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
A Gunslinger
Mr. Bad Example

MaleRanyhyn

1781 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgtnull wrote:
thank you Cail. I'm really looking forward to this. my favorite King story finally adapted to screen.

What is the Mist bout, pray tell.

dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14861 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
Actually, I was thinking nearly the opposite. I'm not a fan of either film. Don't get me wrong, Shawshank was pretty good, but I don't think it deserved the copious praise that was heaped upon it.

The Green Mile made me want to gag.

Damn, you're a hard man to please when it comes to films! Wink
Ka-Tet leader

Male

0 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stunned. Surprised

Shawshank Redemption is almost universally praised as the best King work to ever be made into a movie, and personally, I think The Green Mile is even better. I felt it got robbed, losing out for Best Picture to American Beauty.

The Mist concerns a small group of Maine residents, trapped in a supermarket by the terrorizing results of a government experiment gone horribly wrong in the area.

Chock full of King's trademarks of grim humor, brilliant characterization and unrelenting suspense.

His finest short novel ever, IMHO.
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

20417 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Mile was unbelievably hackneyed, and was written and directed just to appeal to the Academy.

Shawshank was a decent movie I suppose, but I don't think it nearly lived up to the hype surrounding it. I think both The Dead Zone and Carrie, as well as the original {i]'Salem's Lot[/i] miniseries are better realizations of King's writing.

I'd go as far as to say that The Mist is one of the finest short stories extant, from any author.
A Gunslinger
Mr. Bad Example

MaleRanyhyn

1781 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
I thought Mile was unbelievably hackneyed, and was written and directed just to appeal to the Academy.

Shawshank was a decent movie I suppose, but I don't think it nearly lived up to the hype surrounding it. I think both The Dead Zone and Carrie, as well as the original {i]'Salem's Lot[/i] miniseries are better realizations of King's writing.

I'd go as far as to say that The Mist is one of the finest short stories extant, from any author.

I LOVED Salme's Lot...very creepy. Still get spooked thinking about the kid at the window, scratchingto get in...

where is the mist avaialable? Now I must read it.

Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

20417 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A collection of short stories titled Skeleton Crew. Good collection all around.
Loredoctor
Forensic Researcher

Male

2364 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Calm Horizons1 2007 Watchies1 Ventrue Clan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMFG. Best news of the day.
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8769 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Gunslinger wrote:
sgtnull wrote:

What is the Mist bout, pray tell.

it is best not to ruin it. just read it. a novella, won't take too long. but it is just about perfect.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

23469 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed this topic 'til now. Very Happy All very well, but I share Cails reservations.

(And I didn't like Green Mile either, although I thought Shawshank was reasonable, it wasn't as good as the book.)

The Mist is one of my favourite King stories. And it lends itself to a faithful screen replication because of it's length. Skeleton Crew contains some of my favourite King stories, and I think it was the first collection of short stories of his that I read.

--A

Menolly
Gravin Threndor, how I love thee.

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
147783 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been skipping the short stories when getting King's bibliography out of the library for Beorn. I guess I better add those in.
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

20417 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a few exceptions, his short stories are excellent.
lucimay
Mott Irregular, Bridgeburner, Pirate

Ranyhyn

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Mr. Absolute!!! RITA HAYWORTH AND THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is the worlds BEST novella in literature EVER!!! and it was a DAMN fine film adaptation.

i don't think there's a filmmaker alive that could have done better than Darabont did with Shawshank.

bizarrely conversely...the Green Mile film was such a piece of crap that i am NOT hopeful for The Mist

is frank darabont turning into mick garis???? lets just hope jamey sheridan doesn't turn up in The Mist!!!

i've had this with actors before, on the set, where they get upset about the [size of my] trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer, cause... i'm from kentucky and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

20417 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucimay wrote:
hey Mr. Absolute!!! RITA HAYWORTH AND THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is the worlds BEST novella in literature EVER!!! and it was a DAMN fine film adaptation.
Simply impossible since it's neither Man in the High Castle, nor is it anything else by PK Dick.

It was a damn fine adaptation if you like saccherine and shmaltz.

King's best short stories (arguably) are The Mist and The Body.
lucimay

Ranyhyn

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll arm wrestle ya for it!!! More Razz

i've had this with actors before, on the set, where they get upset about the [size of my] trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer, cause... i'm from kentucky and that's not what we brag about.

~ dennis r wood ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Cail
Grin Reaper

MaleRanyhyn

20417 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I'll beat you..... Very Happy
lucimay

Ranyhyn

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pft.

~ dennis r wood ~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Stephen King Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: