Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dissection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> J.R.R. Tolkien Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seafoam Understone
Haruchai

Male

382 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Dissection? Reply with quote

Dumb question... has dissection of the 4 tolkien books (Hobbit, Lord of the Rings et al) been discussed? I did a search and came up blank on it.

Anyone interested?

http://ralph.rigidtech.com
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map
Worm of Despite
Banned

Male

12159 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
2 Foul Duck1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume most TC fans have read LOTR, so I think we could easily drum up something.

Maybe start with The Hobbit or The Fellowship and if it's popular, move on to Two Towers and Return of the King.
Seafoam Understone
Haruchai

Male

382 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Foul wrote:
I assume most TC fans have read LOTR, so I think we could easily drum up something.

Maybe start with The Hobbit or The Fellowship and if it's popular, move on to Two Towers and Return of the King.

Since I'm in favor of continuity I think starting out with the Hobbit would be prudent because it all starts with the ONE RING, Bilbo & Gollum.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map
emotional leper
I am. I was.

Male

387 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Covenant's Novels1 Pocket Knife

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seafoam Understone wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

Since I'm in favor of continuity I think starting out with the Hobbit would be prudent because it all starts with the ONE RING, Bilbo & Gollum.

I would say don't start with the Hobbit. When JRR Tolkien wrote the Hobbit, he had no idea that the ring that Bilbo found was THE Ring. Start with the Fellowship. The Lord of the Rings is self-contained. You can read it without reading the Hobbit first.
Seafoam Understone
Haruchai

Male

382 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emotional Leper wrote:
Seafoam Understone wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

I would say don't start with the Hobbit. When JRR Tolkien wrote the Hobbit, he had no idea that the ring that Bilbo found was THE Ring. Start with the Fellowship. The Lord of the Rings is self-contained. You can read it without reading the Hobbit first.
Yes that is true, which is probably why Jackson went on ahead and made the three films without it's prequel: "The Hobbit" but in an interview he reflected that he wished he went that route instead.

Still The Hobbit contains much "background" info that is pertinent to the Ring trilogy and thus would help continunity. IMO We prolly should create two polls. Seeing how many are indeed interested in doing a dissection anyway and in what order should it be done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> J.R.R. Tolkien Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: