Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Runes, the Staff, and Wildwood's Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earthbrah
Proponent of Gylany

1638 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet a Forestal would have that sort of power, though he probably wouldn't be aware of it as such. I mean, CW enabled Linden to wield two supposedly opposing powers, so why not?
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16376 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me, but I always pictured Forestals as nothing more than bad-assed Loraxes.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
Skurj Scourge
Becalmed in Soulbiter

Male

52 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, The Lorax RULES!!!!! And I think the Oncler was a raver! Ibet a Barbaloot could kick the ass of a Skurj anyday....and don't get me started on the untapped powers of a Sowamee Swan...and Gilden got nothing on a Truffala Tree.

(Guess who has a 3-year-old at home)
Atrium
Ramen

387 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, i dont think the forestals coud heal the broken laws by themselves. Donaldson states several times that earthpower and law could not heal itself after the events in the first chronicles. It took white gold creating a new staff and someone from outside to wield it. But maybe the runes are a sort of guide or aid that Linden is supposed to use, combining it with her own power, to mend the broken the laws.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

41585 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think Anele is the potential new forestal. Because of what he can do seeing into stone. Because how he never felt like he could be a Lord like his parents, but needed to follow his own path. Because of the hints of power that he has. And, most of all, because he was resurrected by Caer Caveral, who knew he was the last of his kind but who, like Wildwood, lamented the Land ever being without a guardian.

The Laws will not be restored. Donaldson himself has said that he doesn't believe in stories where things are restored to the way that they were. Things may be healed imperfectly, or replaced, but never undone.
ninjaboy
Son of Insequent

Male

1896 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if Anele will be a Forestal... With his story and background I am sure he's being set up to do something Astonishing.. Frankly walking around singing to trees doesn't really cut it...

And Sunder & Hollian weren't Lords..

Remember how Troy had to be an apprentice Forestal for a time? It seems to me that if anyone IS going to become a Forestal they are going to have to go through some 'apprenticeship'.. How they're going to do that without affecting Time will be interesting, coz not even Anele has that kind of knowledge...
emotional leper
I am. I was.

Male

387 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Covenant's Novels1 Pocket Knife

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're told that Wildwood died prior to the Sunbane appearing -- what if he isn't really dead, but was snatched out of time?

Or what if he isn't really dead, but is laying in wait? Didn't part of the One Forest survive through the Sunbane?
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14465 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emotional Leper wrote:
We're told that Wildwood died prior to the Sunbane appearing -- what if he isn't really dead, but was snatched out of time?

Or what if he isn't really dead, but is laying in wait? Didn't part of the One Forest survive through the Sunbane?

Only Giant Woods, which had no Forestal but was in the Lower Land and wasn't touched by the Sunbane.

We're told in Covenant's Soothtell that Wildwood died - if he didn't as you suggest, that would be a major retcon.
emotional leper
I am. I was.

Male

387 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Covenant's Novels1 Pocket Knife

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlbpharmd wrote:
Emotional Leper wrote:

Only Giant Woods, which had no Forestal but was in the Lower Land and wasn't touched by the Sunbane.

We're told in Covenant's Soothtell that Wildwood died - if he didn't as you suggest, that would be a major retcon.

Was it specifically died, or that, seeing the progress the New Lords had made on recreating the forests, decided that his work was over and 'stepped aside?'
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

41585 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In The Wounded Land was wrote:
Caerroil Wildwood, the Forestal of Garroting Deep, had believed his labor ended at last, and had passed away

Here's what get's me ... how does his passing away between TPTP and TWL, apparently contented, jive with the boon he asked of Linden? Did ge get his answer? And if so, what does that mean to Linden?
Atrium
Ramen

387 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good point! The Forestal that met Linden would know that his forest is not going to be safe in the future, and therefore would not believe his labour ended! Maybe Donaldson is indeed planning to transfer him to the lands present?
IrrationalSanity
Caamora Obscura

1022 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Leela V1.01 Member of Linden's Army1 Translation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps "passed away", though usually used as a euphamism for dying, could be taken literally in this case...
ninjaboy
Son of Insequent

Male

1896 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait - Death and dying aren't really insurmountable obstacles nowadays aren't they? Isn't it possible Linden could resurrect the old Forestals?
Zarathustra
Be True

14502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjaboy wrote:
I'm not sure if Anele will be a Forestal... With his story and background I am sure he's being set up to do something Astonishing.. Frankly walking around singing to trees doesn't really cut it...

Wow, this really got me thinking . . . what the world needs is something like a "forestal" for rock, rather than trees. There's never been one before, to my knowledge. In fact, there's a distinct asymmetry here. You've got gravelingas and lillianrill for stone and trees. And you've got a "shepherd" of trees in the form of forestals. But no such being for rock, to complete the symmetry. And, rock is Anele's "only friend." He certainly has a deep connection to them. So perhaps a "forestal" for rock, an "earthal" (yes I know, horrible name) would have the power to preserve earth like a forestal has the power to preserve forests.

In this light, his "moonstone" eyes are suspiciously like CW's.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Skurj Scourge
Becalmed in Soulbiter

Male

52 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Anele is destined to commune with the Rock of the Earth. I don't see him having any real connection to trees at this point. I still think he will read the "One Rock" deep in the bowels of Mount Thunder for some sort of astonishing revelation, or to commune with the Worm of the World's End. And I don't think it is a coincidence that the Skurj consume rock.

Hmmm..just a thought...If Kastenessen is some sort of Super Skurj, then is it possible the Foul may set him on the path of "consuming" the "One Stone" if it in fact exists (if we take the symmetry argument one step further.)

And if the Worm is roused by the One Tree, what would be roused by the "One Rock" and would it have an ak-Haru equivalent?
Relayer
Sequent

Male

2444 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik, I think Wayfriend will be pleased to read your post. He suggested something like this too... IIRC his term was "rockestal" Wink

wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

41585 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stonestal".

I like it when others have the same idea independently. Makes a better case for it.

But I think being a Stonestal would only be a start for Anele. I think he'll end up being an Earthestal.
Zarathustra
Be True

14502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relayer wrote:
Malik, I think Wayfriend will be pleased to read your post. He suggested something like this too... IIRC his term was "rockestal" Wink

That's cool. Though I have the distinct impression of having made it up myself, it's entirely possible that I read Wayfriend's post and it got lodged in my subconscious. Which thread was that? If it's one I've posted in, then I'm sure I read his post.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Relayer
Sequent

Male

2444 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonestal, that's right. I think it was during the Runes dissections... ?

I must've been thinking of Electric Light Orchestra's "Rockestra" Wink

wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

41585 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relayer wrote:
Stonestal, that's right. I think it was during the Runes dissections... ?

Runes Pt 1 Chapter 9. Scion of Stone

Malik, you didn't post in it ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: