Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you suppose....?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caamora
The Purifier

1039 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Do you suppose....? Reply with quote

I have been re-reading LFB, and the first few chapters are very enlightening. I have a few questions some of you might find interesting.

1. TC burns his second book that he is working on when he finds out he has leporsy then burns his copy of his best seller because he finds them both to be full of drivel. Question: Do you suppose that there is a connection between this burning and the caamora of the Giants who, by the way, happen to be great storytellers?

2. When TC is walking to Bell Telephone a boy gives him a note from the beggar (Creator). TC sees the beggar and the sign he is hold which says "Beware". Then
Quote:
"For an odd moment, the sign itself seemed to exert a peril over Covenant. Dangers crowded through it to get at him, terrible dangers swam in the air toward him, screaming like vultures. And among them, looking toward him through the screams, there were eyes - two eyes like fangs, carious and deadly. They regarded him with a fixed, cold and hungry malice, focused on him as if he and he alone were the carrion they craved. Malevolence dripped from them like venom. From that moment, he quavered in the grasp of an inexplicable fear."

Do you suppose the Land and our world are really so disconnected? The note the boy gives TC says:
Quote:
".......If he is defeated, he will die, and his world - the real world - will be destroyed because it lacks the inner strength to survive".
Does this mean that our world will be destroyed or TC's life will be destroyed?

As many times as I have read these books, it never ceases to amaze me at the different things that I find! Isn't SRD a wonderful writer?!!! Very Happy
Have you ever been going somewhere with a crowd and you're certain it's the wrong road and you tell them, but they won't listen, so you just have to plod along in what you know is the wrong direction till somebody more important gets the same idea?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bannor
Giantfriend

1 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, SRD is certainly a gifted writer. We've talked about the note before in here somewhere, but it was before you came to The Land. Smile I think the destroyed world that was mentioned is Covenant's real world, Earth. But I'm willing to listen to other opinions. Any? Cool
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

34 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Delusions Reply with quote

And I still think the Land is the real world, but maybe it's just TC's inner world that will be destroyed according to that comment...
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
amanibhavam
subterranean homesick jheherrin

Male

393 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Diamondraught

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to check here:http://kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=113[/quote]

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Tohrm
Ramen

0 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caamora, I believe that our world would be destroyed as well. If not immediately from the snapping of the AoT, then over a very short period of time when LF hits town. He would definitely want to see to it that the world that had produced his personal nemesis would be destroyed so as to not have anybody else come along to kick his butt all over creation.
And here is another question that can be posed about that. Skyweir, in that other thread said,
Quote:
Just because something inhabits a different dimension to you doesn't automatically imply it's not real.
So the question that I have is one of science or metaphysics, I'm not quite sure which. That being if one dimension is destroyed, would all linking dimensions be destroyed as well? And if so, wouldn't that loose upon the cosmos a whole bunch of angry creators a huntin' for LF?[/quote]
CovenantJr
Eater of Sausage

Male

792 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Morinmoss1 New Lord1 Captains Fancy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd completely forgotten about that note.

It seems to me the "real world" would be our Earth/dimension, since the note was clearly written to Covenant, and to him, this is the real world. Even if he believes the Land is real, I don't think he ever doubted that his world was also real.

Or maybe he did. I don't know Razz

However, if that's true, that means TC is the only thing holding our world together, and that suggests it is indeed an internal reality of some kind...

Bah, i've completely failed to reach any kind of conclusion Cussing How unusual for Kevin's Watch... Razz Very Happy
caamora
The Purifier

1039 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Torhm.
Have you ever been going somewhere with a crowd and you're certain it's the wrong road and you tell them, but they won't listen, so you just have to plod along in what you know is the wrong direction till somebody more important gets the same idea?

0 White Gold Dollars

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't a lot of top physicists theorizing these days about a multiverse, where there are infinate worlds, all branching off of each other in the time/space continuums? There was a huge article about it in the newspaper last week...somewhere on some world, the Cubbies just won the World Series, I know this in my heart...and somewhere maybe the Land or something like it exists, too...
Worm of Despite
Banned

Male

12316 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
2 Foul Duck1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Heh...yeah... Reply with quote

Multiverse?! Pfhah! The Land real?! *crosses arms* I am the one word of truth, and what I say is...um, infinitely true...till, um, something so mundane and insane as, say, the Angels winning the pennant occurs.

*blinks*

Cussing

This MUST be one of the minor multiverses we are in, then!! Why, Diamondbacks, why?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: