Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firelions: Lions of fire or just lava via creative writing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Firelions: Lions of fire or just lava via creative writing?
Literally massive lion-like creatures of raging molten fire
75%
 75%  [ 45 ]
Plain lava. The Lords were just being poetic.
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Something else. I need to explain it though.
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 60

Author Message
peter
the spider from Mars


Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 5941

Thanks: 38
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts


16812 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cast my vote and luckily came out with by far the biggest grouping. Pheww! Not sure my already weak ego would have stood being in any but the top poll result - you can tell the herd instinct runs deep in my blood. Confused
_________________
http://jhfv.blogspot.co.uk/

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.


Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 9709

Thanks: 17
Thanked 84 Times in 82 Posts

Location: everywhere, all the time
34336 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure


PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww...in the minority again in a poll.

Something else, I need to explain....
Heh...but I'm not gonna...there's that rule..."Never Explain."
_________________
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
-------------------------------------------------------
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shuram Gudatetris
Luxurator of In-Flux Crust Eruptions

Male
Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 554

Thanks: 18
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Location: Cameron, Missouri
2305 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lego1 Translation1 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of an interesting question for me. I originally pictured them as beings more of fire/light energy, only vaguely animal like in nature. But about a year ago, I was thinking of an idea for a tattoo to get for my wife, who is a Leo and a lion-lover, and a strong, passionate woman, and the idea I came up with is a fire-lion with a banner that read "Kiril Threndor, Heart of Thunder". The fire-lion I pictured for the tat was a realistic lion face with a mane of flame.

Unfortunately, my wife didn't understand and hated the idea. It really hurt my feelings. I still think it was a good idea.

Anyway, I just got done with a re-read of LFB, and this time around, I definitely saw more lion-like creatures.
_________________
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
peter
the spider from Mars


Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 5941

Thanks: 38
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts


16812 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:
Unfortunately, my wife didn't understand and hated the idea. It really hurt my feelings. I still think it was a good idea.

Shuram - I know you are going to say 'mind your own business' on this, but I have to say it - I'm with your wife on this.
i) The fire Lions are way beyond the point where they could be represented like this, even by the best tattoo artist in the game. It would have finished up looking like a british soccer hooligans fighting tat, or worse the stamp on the side of an english egg.
ii) Your wife was right to stop you from making a bad mistake - and one that you would have had to look at every day for the rest of your life.
iii) Your feelings should not be so delicate that they cannot stand the right and proper imput of your wife into a thing that not only affects you, but her as well. After all she has to be married to a man who every time he takes his shirt off looks like a Millwall fan on a rumble. Hell - all you would need to do to complete the picture would be to paint a Union Jack on your face and pick up a lump of 4 by 2 and you would be ready to go! Laughing
(Sorry if this is all distastefull to you Shuram, no offence intended - and I do understand the hurt feelings because I know I would be exactly the same - probably worse - but trust me, your wife was right on this one and is your best friend as well for saying what she did).
_________________
http://jhfv.blogspot.co.uk/

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shuram Gudatetris
Luxurator of In-Flux Crust Eruptions

Male
Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 554

Thanks: 18
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Location: Cameron, Missouri
2305 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lego1 Translation1 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter wrote:

ii) Your wife was right to stop you from making a bad mistake - and one that you would have had to look at every day for the rest of your life.
iii) Your feelings should not be so delicate that they cannot stand the right and proper imput of your wife into a thing that not only affects you, but her as well. After all she has to be married to a man who every time he takes his shirt off looks like a Millwall fan on a rumble. Hell - all you would need to do to complete the picture would be to paint a Union Jack on your face and pick up a lump of 4 by 2 and you would be ready to go! Laughing
(Sorry if this is all distastefull to you Shuram, no offence intended - and I do understand the hurt feelings because I know I would be exactly the same - probably worse - but trust me, your wife was right on this one and is your best friend as well for saying what she did).


Looking like an idiot when I take off my shirt and embarrassing myself and my wife wasn't really an issue regarding a tat, because the issue already existed as I hacked my skin to pieces when I was a teenager. I can't go anywhere around acquaintances who have not seen me in a sleeveless shirt, as every time I do, I get the inevitable question: What the hell did you do to your arms?

peter wrote:

i) The fire Lions are way beyond the point where they could be represented like this, even by the best tattoo artist in the game. It would have finished up looking like a british soccer hooligans fighting tat, or worse the stamp on the side of an english egg.


I agree that it would have been difficult to capture the essence of a fire-lion in art work, as I myself tried to draw one once and it turned out retarded looking. What upset me was not that she thought it would be a bad tattoo, but that she thought the concept was stupid. These books had a deep and personal impact on me when I was younger, and my idea related two things in my life that meant a lot to me. I don't know, maybe it is stupid. My wife and I aren't together anymore anyway. Go figure.
_________________
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
CovenantJr
Eater of Sausage

Male
Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Posts: 12595

Thanks: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

Location: Gwynedd, North Wales
494 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Morinmoss1 New Lord1 Captains Fancy


PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sympathise with your situation there. I haven't experienced the exact same thing, but I have certainly had a woman who claimed to love me deride something personal and important to me.* It's very hurtful. In your case, I think it's one thing to say "I'm not sure that would really work as a tattoo" but entirely another to say it's a stupid idea. For what it's worth, I like the concept, though I agree that it might not be achievable. You'd certainly need a very skilled artist, at least.








*for the record, a member of this site told me I had some writing talent, and my long-term girlfriend scoffed quite heartily when I delightedly told her.
_________________
"Tell me, young crone, is this Putney?"
"That it be, that it be."
"'Yes it is', not 'that it be'. You don't have to talk in that stupid voice to me. I'm not a tourist."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Shuram Gudatetris
Luxurator of In-Flux Crust Eruptions

Male
Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 554

Thanks: 18
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Location: Cameron, Missouri
2305 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lego1 Translation1 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CovenantJr wrote:
*for the record, a member of this site told me I had some writing talent, and my long-term girlfriend scoffed quite heartily when I delightedly told her.


Ouch....I feel your pain.
_________________
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
peter
the spider from Mars


Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 5941

Thanks: 38
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts


16812 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:
peter wrote:

ii) Your wife was right to stop you from making a bad mistake - and one that you would have had to look at every day for the rest of your life.
iii) Your feelings should not be so delicate that they cannot stand the right and proper imput of your wife into a thing that not only affects you, but her as well. After all she has to be married to a man who every time he takes his shirt off looks like a Millwall fan on a rumble. Hell - all you would need to do to complete the picture would be to paint a Union Jack on your face and pick up a lump of 4 by 2 and you would be ready to go! Laughing
(Sorry if this is all distastefull to you Shuram, no offence intended - and I do understand the hurt feelings because I know I would be exactly the same - probably worse - but trust me, your wife was right on this one and is your best friend as well for saying what she did).


Looking like an idiot when I take off my shirt and embarrassing myself and my wife wasn't really an issue regarding a tat, because the issue already existed as I hacked my skin to pieces when I was a teenager. I can't go anywhere around acquaintances who have not seen me in a sleeveless shirt, as every time I do, I get the inevitable question: What the hell did you do to your arms?

peter wrote:

i) The fire Lions are way beyond the point where they could be represented like this, even by the best tattoo artist in the game. It would have finished up looking like a british soccer hooligans fighting tat, or worse the stamp on the side of an english egg.


I agree that it would have been difficult to capture the essence of a fire-lion in art work, as I myself tried to draw one once and it turned out retarded looking. What upset me was not that she thought it would be a bad tattoo, but that she thought the concept was stupid. These books had a deep and personal impact on me when I was younger, and my idea related two things in my life that meant a lot to me. I don't know, maybe it is stupid. My wife and I aren't together anymore anyway. Go figure.


Wow Man - I never realised it was your EX wife - you never said that! I was just trying to put a better slant on something that had clearly got under your skin big time and maybe help you to see the incident from an alternative side. That obviousy puts a different face on the whole thing. I agree with you man - the b***h had to go!
_________________
http://jhfv.blogspot.co.uk/

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Krazy Kat
~*~


Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 1664

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Location: Sky Blue City England
72 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soaring Woodhelvin


PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fire Lions could well be a representation of courage. Like with the cowardly lion in Oz.

Or like the bible story of how the disciples were given the courage to face the daylight again.

Maybe white gold magic, the power that preserves, can even tame the Lions.

Shocked HELLFIRE! Berek's army.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shuram Gudatetris
Luxurator of In-Flux Crust Eruptions

Male
Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 554

Thanks: 18
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Location: Cameron, Missouri
2305 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lego1 Translation1 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Fire Lions are just a bunch of krazy kats?
_________________
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Darkdenubis
Stonedownor


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 40

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


241 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rereading the last pages of LFB, Covenant stares in awe as the Fire Lions work their way down the walls....and in some cases UP the walls, trying to reach Urviles that have fled.

Verdict....living creatures of fire.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 1333

Thanks: 1
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts


1762 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Kresh1 Diamondraught1 Mind Meld


PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think of it before but the fact that the shape of Mount Thunder hasn't changed over time makes me think that these creature are made of fire and not lava. If they were made of lava they would change the outline of the mountain every time they erupted from it. There would be new rock cover where they passed and blocked areas where they settled and cooled down to rock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkdenubis
Stonedownor


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 40

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


241 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There would be new rock cover where they passed


Would that be Fire Lion droppings? Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Feeling Fine Feline
Servant of the Land


Joined: 12 Feb 2017
Posts: 4

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Times in 1 Posts


13 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were lions, man. Big cats. Cats is awesome. I'm a damn cat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Horrim Carabal
Unlikely Ally

Male
Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 460

Thanks: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
258 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Courser1 Earthblood1 Glimmermere


PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
Check the Glossary in the books. They state that the Fire Lions are the lava flow of Mount Thunder.


...but not ordinary lava.

Why am I so sure? Because when Covenant and Foamfollower got to Hotash Slay, neither of them remarked on the numerous Fire-Lions in the vicinity. Nor did the text allude to there being Fire-Lions about.

Therefore, they were special. Probably animated lava creatures.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Shuram Gudatetris
Luxurator of In-Flux Crust Eruptions

Male
Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 554

Thanks: 18
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Location: Cameron, Missouri
2305 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lego1 Translation1 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just little doodle I did many years ago.

I present a Fire-Lion of Gravin Threndor:

_________________
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Horrim Carabal
Unlikely Ally

Male
Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 460

Thanks: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
258 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Courser1 Earthblood1 Glimmermere


PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:
Just little doodle I did many years ago.

I present a Fire-Lion of Gravin Threndor:


That is legitimately awesome.

I want to see a Skurj take on a Fire-Lion. Epic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 18122

Thanks: 11
Thanked 177 Times in 164 Posts

Location: The world of the Bowling Green Massacre
40249 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrim Carabal wrote:
I want to see a Skurj take on a Fire-Lion.

I want to know if Gracie and Josh are still a thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by Earthpower © Kevin's Watch